Almost French: Love and a New Life in Paris…

Almost French: Love and a New Life in Paris (2002)

by Sarah Turnbull

An Australian woman falls for a French man and moves to Paris to be with him. Her adventures in learning about and dealing with French Culture. ( )
  Cleoxcat | May 28, 2015 |
This is a lovely, very personal, easy read about Turnbull's trials and tribulations as an Australian immigrant to France. Western countries shares many similarities, but it's in the small things that sensibilities can clash: order of dinner courses, subtleties in manner, gender roles, civilities, taboos are just some of the things that can become an unpredictable source of conflict.
Chapter by chapter, Turnbull looks at the obstacles that she had to overcome, some of the ways in which she was able to adapt and others in which she decided "to clash", as the prerogative of being an outsider. All of her experiences ring very true and I've had similar observations and reactions, playing on my two nationalities or sometimes simply forgetting some of the intricacies of French living.
Although Australian, I think this book will resonate with Americans and Canadian alike, having similar roots.
I always enjoy seeing my other country through other eyes to get another reflection of how we are perceived. ( )
  Cecilturtle | Apr 14, 2015 |
I read this book while visiting my (Australian) cousin Ana, who lived in Paris with her French husband. I myself was on exchange at the time and this book was perfect reading at the time, when we were relating and comparing our experiences with France. ( )
  GraceZ | Sep 6, 2014 |
Suggested by Krystyna
  Egaro | Jul 28, 2014 |
une bouffé de nostalgie! ( )
  Amotisse | May 21, 2014 |
For Mum and Dad
Et, bien sur, pour Fred
I left Australia hoping to cram a lifetime of adventures into one unforgettable year.

Sarah Turnbull's stint in Paris was only supposed to last a week. Chance had brought Sarah and Frederic together in Bucharest, and on impulse she decided to take him up on his offer to visit him in the world's most romantic city. Sacrificing Vegemite for vichyssoise, the feisty journalist does her best to fit in, although her conversation, her laught, and even her wardrobe advertise her foreigner status. As she navigates the highs and lows of this strange new world, from life in a bustling quartier and surviving Parisian dinner parties to covering the haute couture fashion shows and discovering the hard way the paradoxes of French culture, little by little Sarah falls under its spell: maddening, mysterious, and charged with that French specialty - seduction. An entertaining tale of being a fish ot of water, Almost French is a delightful, fresh twist onthe travel memoir that is fraught with culture clashes but rife with deadpan humor. (1-592-40082-5)

An entertaining tale of being a fish out of water. A fresh twist on the travel memoir that is fraught with culture clashes but rife with deadpan humor.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,773,716 books! | Top bar: Always visible