Almost French: Love and a New Life in Paris…

Almost French: Love and a New Life in Paris (2002)

by Sarah Turnbull

I really enjoyed this -- it lived up to its description. The one episode I remember in particular was when she was heading out for a quick trip to the bakery to pick up a baguette wearing sweats, and her husband commented on it. When she told him it was just to run out to the bakery he said, "But it's not very nice for the baker." Cute story, but what an interesting perspective. We tend to think of looking nice as typically being an expression of vanity, but for Parisians it's in consideration for all the people who have to share a space with you. And when you think about how deflating it is, in a way, to be out amongst a bunch of people dressed like slobs (think Walmart), you wonder why more cultures don't take this attitude. ( )
  Lit_Cat | Dec 9, 2017 |
An interesting perspective on being a foreigner in Paris. Insightful and intelligent. ( )
  Laurochka | Aug 18, 2017 |
Loved it! ( )
  Melissa1980 | May 5, 2017 |
Almost French Sarah Turnball
★★★ and a half

I don't normally read non fiction but this book was recommended to me by 2 people and I am glad I gave it a go.

Sarah Turnball is a young Australian journalist who while taking a sabbatical and travelling Europe meets and falls in love with Frenchman Frederik

With barely a look book Sarah leaves her home in Sydney behind her and moves to Paris.

The biography covers how the couple cope with cultural as well as language barriers, how Sarah's friendly outgoing personality conflicts with the cool Parisians who constitute Frederik's friends.

The funniest instance for me was when the couple visit Sarah's family in Australia and Frederik finally understands how Sarah feels as an outsider due to the "spider" incident which did make me giggle and which I had to share with hubby immediately.

I would recommend this to those who like light humoured autobiographies and those with an interest in foreign cultures.
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
An Australian woman falls for a French man and moves to Paris to be with him. Her adventures in learning about and dealing with French Culture. ( )
  Cleoxcat | May 28, 2015 |

Sarah Turnbullprimary authorall editionscalculated
Causby, DarianCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mum and Dad
Et, bien sur, pour Fred
I left Australia hoping to cram a lifetime of adventures into one unforgettable year.

Sarah Turnbull's stint in Paris was only supposed to last a week. Chance had brought Sarah and Frederic together in Bucharest, and on impulse she decided to take him up on his offer to visit him in the world's most romantic city. Sacrificing Vegemite for vichyssoise, the feisty journalist does her best to fit in, although her conversation, her laught, and even her wardrobe advertise her foreigner status. As she navigates the highs and lows of this strange new world, from life in a bustling quartier and surviving Parisian dinner parties to covering the haute couture fashion shows and discovering the hard way the paradoxes of French culture, little by little Sarah falls under its spell: maddening, mysterious, and charged with that French specialty - seduction. An entertaining tale of being a fish ot of water, Almost French is a delightful, fresh twist onthe travel memoir that is fraught with culture clashes but rife with deadpan humor. (1-592-40082-5)

An entertaining tale of being a fish out of water. A fresh twist on the travel memoir that is fraught with culture clashes but rife with deadpan humor.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,822,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible