HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

An Anthropologist on Mars by Oliver Sacks
Loading...

An Anthropologist on Mars (original 1995; edition 1995)

by Oliver Sacks

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
2,651332,256 (4.1)70
Member:michellebarton
Title:An Anthropologist on Mars
Authors:Oliver Sacks
Info:Alfred A. Knopf (1995), Edition: 1st Edition, 7th Printing, Paperback
Collections:ADULT NONFICTION, Your library
Rating:****
Tags:case studies, autism, aspergers, brain injury, color blind, blindness, tourettes syndrome, biography

Work details

An Anthropologist on Mars by Oliver Sacks (1995)

None
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 70 mentions

English (28)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (33)
Showing 1-5 of 28 (next | show all)
Absolutely fascinating! Oliver Sacks powerfully demonstrates humanity's ability to adapt, and even thrive, in face of neurological disorder by presenting thoughtful and remarkably sensitive portraits of real people with various conditions. Trying to put myself in the shoes of these individuals was an exercise in imagination and empathy unlike any I've ever experienced. (And I am pleased to report that Sack's terminology in this book isn’t as horribly outdated as it was in The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat.) Though some portions are a bit didactic, I still enjoyed An Anthropologist on Mars immensely, and Jonathan Davis is an excellent narrator. Highly recommended. ( )
  les121 | Jul 20, 2014 |
I loved this book. Mostly because I think interdisciplinary studies/perspectives lead to breakthroughs in research. An amazing neurobiologist and an amazing writer, Sacks takes us into his work life and shows us just how wondrous and perplexing the sciences can be. He reminds us that even though we use objectivity in science, we shouldn't forget the human component. ( )
  SweetbriarPoet | Jul 14, 2014 |
Oliver Sacks provides a fascinating look at several cases of neurological damage or disorder in extremely interesting people. I found the discussion of how difficult a transition it is for a person who has been blind from birth or for a significant length of time to suddenly be able to see to be quite eye-opening, so to speak. I always assumed that if one gains sight after being blind that one is able to actually "see" right from the get go, but this is not so. Sight, depth perception, visual recognition, motion vision, all these things are developed over time in a sighted person, and if sight is suddenly restored ( )
  michellebarton | Jan 16, 2013 |
This is among my most favorite books, and I have the first edition. ( )
  Amy_Sterling_Casil | Apr 1, 2011 |
A series of sketches on the remarkable and often terrifying complexity, plasticity, power, and vulnerability of the human brain. These cases are also interesting examples on the nature of identity, the social and personal construction of ability and disability, and the frightening but also freeing thought that vastly different and perhaps mutually incomprehensible modes of perceiving and being in the world and being a human can and do exist and even thrive in modern society. ( )
1 vote jddunn | Nov 8, 2010 |
Showing 1-5 of 28 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Information from the Dutch Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
"The universe is not only queerer than we imagine, but queerer than we can imagine." -J.B.S. Haldane
"Ask not what disease the person has, but rather what person the disease has." -(attributed to) William Osler
Dedication
To the seven whose stories are related here
First words
Early in March 1986 I received the following letter:
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (3)

Book description
Sacks' gelijktijdige beheersing van de diverse niveaus van analyse is benijdenswaardig. Zijn boek, dat zowel elegant als nauwgezet is, herstelt ons geloof in de medische wetenschap als een van de menswaardigste bezigheden.
-THE SPECTATOR
'Neurologische patiënten,' schreef Oliver Sacks eens, 'zijn reizigers naar onvoorstelbare gebieden.' Een antropoloog op Mars . bevat /.even portretten van zulke reizigers
- waaronder een portret van een chirurg die lijdt aan het syndroom van Tourette, behalve op de momenten dat hij opereert, een kunstenaar die na een autoongeluk zijn vermogen verliest om kleuren te zien maar die daardoor een nieuw gevoel voor het werken in zwart-wït ontwikkelt, en een autistische professor die zich 'een antropoloog op Mars voelt' omdat ze de simpelste omgang tussen mensen onderling niet kan volgen, maar die een carrière heeft opgebouwd vanwege haar intuïtieve begrip van het gedrag van dieren. Deze zeven verhalen zijn paradoxaal, omdat een neurologische ziekte een bestaan tot gevolg kan hebben dat door anderen als 'abnormaal' wordt afgedaan, terwijl in dat 'abnormale' bestaan juist door die afwijkende gesteldheid bijzondere ervaringen kunnen optreden. Oliver Sacks heeft zijn reizigers buiten de kliniek, in hun eigen bestaan gevolgd, hij 'ging op huisbezoek aan de grens van de ervaringswereld'. Terwijl hij rnet zijn patiënten meereist, biedt Saeks ons een nieuw perspectief op de wijze waarop onze hersenen onze eigen, individuele wereld scheppen. In zijn heldere en boeiende reconstructies van de mentale processen die wij als vanzelfsprekend beschouwen - zien, herinnering, kleurgevoel - doet Sacks ons opnieuw verbaasd staan over wie we eigenlijk zijn.
Oliver Sacks (Londen, 1933} verwierf in 1984 internationale faarn met Een been om op te staan. Na De man die zijn vrouw voor een hoed hield verschenen bij Meulenhoff Stemmen zien. Een reis naar de wereld van de doven, Ontwaken in verbijsteringen zijn beroemde studie Migraine.
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679756973, Paperback)

The works of neurologist Oliver Sacks have a special place in the swarm of mind-brain studies. He has done as much as anyone to make nonspecialists aware of how much diversity gets lumped under the heading of "the human mind."

The stories in An Anthropologist on Mars are medical case reports not unlike the classic tales of Berton Roueché in The Medical Detectives. Sacks's stories are of "differently brained" people, and they have the intrinsic human interest that spurred his book Awakenings to be re-created as a Robin Williams movie.

The title story in Anthropologist is that of autistic Temple Grandin, whose own book Thinking in Pictures gives her version of how she feels--as unlike other humans as a cow or a Martian. The other minds Sacks describes are equally remarkable: a surgeon with Tourette's syndrome, a painter who loses color vision, a blind man given the ambiguous gift of sight, artists with memories that overwhelm "real life," the autistic artist Stephen Wiltshire, and a man with memory damage for whom it is always 1968.

Oliver Sacks is the Carl Sagan or Stephen Jay Gould of his field; his books are true classics of medical writing, of the breadth of human mentality, and of the inner lives of the disabled. --Mary Ellen Curtin

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:45 -0400)

(see all 6 descriptions)

The author profiles seven neurological patients, including a surgeon with Tourette's syndrome and an artist whose color sense is destroyed in an accident but finds new creative power in black and white.

(summary from another edition)

» see all 4 descriptions

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
3 avail.
159 wanted
3 pay6 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (4.1)
0.5
1 1
1.5
2 8
2.5 4
3 72
3.5 24
4 209
4.5 17
5 148

Audible.com

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

See editions

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,006,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible