HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

An Anthropologist on Mars by Oliver Sacks
Loading...

An Anthropologist on Mars (original 1995; edition 1995)

by Oliver Sacks

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingConversations / Mentions
2,920401,971 (4.1)1 / 89
Member:michellebarton
Title:An Anthropologist on Mars
Authors:Oliver Sacks
Info:Alfred A. Knopf (1995), Edition: 1st Edition, 7th Printing, Paperback
Collections:ADULT NONFICTION, Your library
Rating:****
Tags:case studies, autism, aspergers, brain injury, color blind, blindness, tourettes syndrome, biography

Work details

An Anthropologist on Mars by Oliver Sacks (1995)

None
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

English (35)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All (40)
Showing 1-5 of 35 (next | show all)
Oliver Sacks' lengthy interview (over several days) with Temple Grandin provides the title essay in this book. An Anthropologist on Mars is Temple's term for herself, an autistic individual trying to decipher the unspoken social rules around her. Hers is one of seven case histories Dr. Sacks, a self-described 'neuro-anthropologist' presents as examples of the brain's creativity in adapting to disease and neurological challenges. Not an easy read but well worth the effort. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
The video-gone-viral featuring "this autistic boy" drawing New York City in amazing detail after a helicopter trip gets a back story and the artist, Stephen Wiltshire, is introduced in the chapter entitled Prodigies. The inclusion of some of Wiltshire's drawings adds immensely to the book, as do the coloured plates in the chapter about the expatriate from an Italian hill town who obsessively painted his home village in great detail, despite not having returned for decades. (He later returned, in the company of Dr. Sacks, to be honoured with a local exhibition in a neighbouring town - his birthplace is now virtually deserted, ironically similar to his unpeopled paintings.) ( )
  muumi | Jun 14, 2016 |
I've known for many years I wanted to read something by Sacks - now I know I want to read everything by him. His focus is on the case histories, well, actually, on the people. Only by getting to know individuals well and comparing their stories to the literature does he bring together theories and share those ideas with us. He doesn't bang us over the head with an agenda. Nice selected bibliography.

A tidbit: [W]aking consciousness is dreaming - but dreaming constrained by external reality."" ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Jonathan Davis, Oliver Sacks
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
Borderline 3/4

I did enjoy the book and learned a fair deal from it, about the topics at hand (autism), and things at random... However it could have been half as long! The seven separate pieces didn't really feel like essays to me - they lacked coherent structure. But I do adore Mr Sachs and will read others of his works - hopefully shorter ones. ( )
  jculkin | Feb 1, 2016 |
Showing 1-5 of 35 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review

» Add other authors (18 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Oliver Sacksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sacks, Olivermain authorall editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
The universe is not only queerer than we imagine, but queerer than we can imagine.
J. B. S. Haldane
Ask not what disease the person has, but rather what person the disease has.
(attributed to) William Osler
Dedication
To the seven whose stories are related here
First words
Preface
I am writing this with my left hand, although I am strongly right-handed.
Early in March 1986 I received the following letter:
I am a rather successful artist just past 65 years of age.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (3)

Book description
Sacks' gelijktijdige beheersing van de diverse niveaus van analyse is benijdenswaardig. Zijn boek, dat zowel elegant als nauwgezet is, herstelt ons geloof in de medische wetenschap als een van de menswaardigste bezigheden.
-THE SPECTATOR
'Neurologische patiënten,' schreef Oliver Sacks eens, 'zijn reizigers naar onvoorstelbare gebieden.' Een antropoloog op Mars . bevat /.even portretten van zulke reizigers
- waaronder een portret van een chirurg die lijdt aan het syndroom van Tourette, behalve op de momenten dat hij opereert, een kunstenaar die na een autoongeluk zijn vermogen verliest om kleuren te zien maar die daardoor een nieuw gevoel voor het werken in zwart-wït ontwikkelt, en een autistische professor die zich 'een antropoloog op Mars voelt' omdat ze de simpelste omgang tussen mensen onderling niet kan volgen, maar die een carrière heeft opgebouwd vanwege haar intuïtieve begrip van het gedrag van dieren. Deze zeven verhalen zijn paradoxaal, omdat een neurologische ziekte een bestaan tot gevolg kan hebben dat door anderen als 'abnormaal' wordt afgedaan, terwijl in dat 'abnormale' bestaan juist door die afwijkende gesteldheid bijzondere ervaringen kunnen optreden. Oliver Sacks heeft zijn reizigers buiten de kliniek, in hun eigen bestaan gevolgd, hij 'ging op huisbezoek aan de grens van de ervaringswereld'. Terwijl hij rnet zijn patiënten meereist, biedt Saeks ons een nieuw perspectief op de wijze waarop onze hersenen onze eigen, individuele wereld scheppen. In zijn heldere en boeiende reconstructies van de mentale processen die wij als vanzelfsprekend beschouwen - zien, herinnering, kleurgevoel - doet Sacks ons opnieuw verbaasd staan over wie we eigenlijk zijn.
Oliver Sacks (Londen, 1933} verwierf in 1984 internationale faarn met Een been om op te staan. Na De man die zijn vrouw voor een hoed hield verschenen bij Meulenhoff Stemmen zien. Een reis naar de wereld van de doven, Ontwaken in verbijsteringen zijn beroemde studie Migraine.
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679756973, Paperback)

The works of neurologist Oliver Sacks have a special place in the swarm of mind-brain studies. He has done as much as anyone to make nonspecialists aware of how much diversity gets lumped under the heading of "the human mind."

The stories in An Anthropologist on Mars are medical case reports not unlike the classic tales of Berton Roueché in The Medical Detectives. Sacks's stories are of "differently brained" people, and they have the intrinsic human interest that spurred his book Awakenings to be re-created as a Robin Williams movie.

The title story in Anthropologist is that of autistic Temple Grandin, whose own book Thinking in Pictures gives her version of how she feels--as unlike other humans as a cow or a Martian. The other minds Sacks describes are equally remarkable: a surgeon with Tourette's syndrome, a painter who loses color vision, a blind man given the ambiguous gift of sight, artists with memories that overwhelm "real life," the autistic artist Stephen Wiltshire, and a man with memory damage for whom it is always 1968.

Oliver Sacks is the Carl Sagan or Stephen Jay Gould of his field; his books are true classics of medical writing, of the breadth of human mentality, and of the inner lives of the disabled. --Mary Ellen Curtin

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:36 -0400)

(see all 6 descriptions)

The author profiles seven neurological patients, including a surgeon with Tourette's syndrome and an artist whose color sense is destroyed in an accident but finds new creative power in black and white.

(summary from another edition)

» see all 4 descriptions

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
1 avail.
160 wanted
3 pay6 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (4.1)
0.5
1 3
1.5
2 7
2.5 4
3 74
3.5 29
4 228
4.5 19
5 160

Audible.com

2 editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

See editions

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,817,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible