Beauty by Sheri S. Tepper

Beauty (1991)

by Sheri S. Tepper

The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge (sturlington)
    sturlington: Also a fairy tale retelling with sci-fi/fantasy elements.

Except for her usual humour and irony, this is a classical faery tale with a play, time travel, Cinderella...
the end is much more interesting, because of the defense of beauty against human hubris! but still i don't feel it's agreat book, just a nice one. ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 2, 2016 |
Ugh.

So apparently I wrote a couple of paragraphs about Sherri S. Tepper’s Beauty not too long after I read it. And I just read it and now have no idea where I was going with it.

And the problem is, the indifference, the disinterest. Because with a book you love, it’s so easy to write a gushy, full-throttled love fest. And with a book you hate, it’s also pretty easy to fling it against a wall and rant your head off. But with the indifference, there’s a struggle to move the cursor forward and fill that page. So what happens is that drivel such as this is used instead.

So.

Beauty is the story of well, Beauty, that is, of Sleeping Beauty fame but manages to escape her fate and does some time traveling. There’s some bits in the land of Faerie, the future, and even melds into some other fairy tales. So it pretty much fits the Once Upon A Time categories.

It was an ok read, as you can probably guess by now. It was a little weird, but a little clever how the rest of the fairy tales fit into the bigger story. And there was just a little too much heavy-handedness as Tepper tries to put her agenda across. However, Tepper has some interesting ideas and I’m curious to see what her other books are like. Perhaps more SF and less fairy tale-ish?

Ah the neutral review. Never very interesting to read, is it? ( )
1 vote RealLifeReading | Jan 19, 2016 |
I have no urge to read this one again. moving it out to make room for others more shelf-worthy ( )
  SLHobbs | Aug 31, 2015 |
I read Beauty around the time it was released, in the early 1990s, and it haunts me to this day. The dystopic elements were not per se unique -- I think I've seen most of them in other works -- but they were woven together in one of Tepper's more compelling visions, and fully utilizing her work in the horror genre. Strikingly, Tepper critiqued horror writers for creating so much, well, horror and ugliness, and at the same time she was herself writing horror.

Anyway, I recommend this book for its hopeful horrors. ( )
  lquilter | Jan 7, 2014 |
Wow, this one could have come straight from the fever-dreams of Andrea Dworkin. What starts out as an interesting variant of the Sleeping Beauty tale soon changes into a truly horrifying dystopian screed against humanity, particularly the male wing of same. I got about 220 pages in when I had to start skipping ahead to keep from running screaming into the night. This is so bleak and hopeless that I can't recommend it. There are some images I can't seem to get out of my head, and I'm heartily sorry. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |

Sheri S. Tepperprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burne-Jones, EdwardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, AlanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Malcolm Edwards who is wisely responsible for these empty pages.
Foreword.

In the pages that follow, there are certain interpolations written by me, Carabosse, the fairy of clocks, keeper of the secrets of time.
The Journal of Beauty, daughter of The Duke of Westfaire.

Getting started on this writing, I cut five different quills and ruined them all.
Chapter 1. My Life in Westfaire.

St. Richard of Chichester's Day, April, Year of Our Lord 1347

I never knew my mother.

With the  critically acclaimed novels The Gate To  Women's Country, Raising The Stones, and the  Hugo-nominated Grass, Sheri  Tepper has established herself as one of the major  science fiction writers of out Time. In  Beauty, she broadens her territory even  further, with a novel that evokes all the richness of  fairy tale and fable. Drawing on the wellspring  of tales such as "Sleeping Beauty,"  Beauty is a moving novel of love and loss, hope and  despair, magic and nature. Set against a backdrop  both enchanted and frightening, the story begins  with a wicked aunt's curse that will afflict a young  woman named Beauty on her sixteenth birthday.  Though Beauty is able to sidestep tragedy, she soon  finds herself embarked on an adventure of vast  consequences. For it becomes clear that the  enchanted places of this fantastic world--a place not  unlike our own--are in danger and must be saved before  it is too late.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:21 -0400)

The diary of a half-mortal, half-fairy fifteen-year-old girl named Beauty, written in 1347, describes the magical and frightening course of her life, in this retelling of the fairy tale "Sleeping Beauty." With the critically acclaimed novels The Gate To Women's Country, Raising The Stones, and the Hugo-nominated Grass, Sheri Tepper has established herself as one of the major science fiction writers of out Time. In Beauty, she broadens her territory even further, with a novel that evokes all the richness of fairy tale and fable. Drawing on the wellspring of tales such as "Sleeping Beauty," Beauty is a moving novel of love and loss, hope and despair, magic and nature. Set against a backdrop both enchanted and frightening, the story begins with a wicked aunt's curse that will afflict a young woman named Beauty on her sixteenth birthday. Though Beauty is able to sidestep tragedy, she soon finds herself embarked on an adventure of vast consequences. For it becomes clear that the enchanted places of this fantastic world--a place not unlike our own--are in danger and must be saved before it is too late.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,069,840 books! | Top bar: Always visible