Darkest Days by Stan Gallon

Darkest Days

by Stan Gallon

Darkest Days is a relatively unknown book by a relatively small author it is however very much worth checking out.

It's a bit of a cross genre novel set in post terrorist disaster America, yet focused on political manoeuvring, clock and dagger spying and overseas wars running concurrently with several conspiracies by greedy politicians who want ultimate power.

Well paced with a great ending it's a book that's one a permanent place in my library. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Jul 15, 2016 |
This is Gallon’s first novel, and it shows: while apocalyptic stories will always be popular, this tale – set at an unspecified date in the near future – lacks many of the elements that constitute a good read.

When the US president dies in a mysterious ‘plane crash, he is succeeded by his short-sighted, corrupt and right-wing deputy, who plunges the world into chaos.

The book may be ‘full of non-stop action to keep the pages turning’ but only for desperate readers seeking a coherent storyline: there are plenty of good books out there – don’t waste your time with this one ( )
  adpaton | Nov 30, 2007 |
Anyone who picks up a copy of Darkest Days by first time author Stanley Gallon is in for a shocking read that pushes boundaries I have never seen pushed in a political thriller before.

You know when you read the back cover of a novel and it tells you “this fast paced thriller…,” “Non-stop action…,” etc. and you expect something that will wrench you right out of your seat? Well, this novel is without a doubt, the fastest paced thriller I have ever read. There was not a single slow moment anywhere in the book and believe me I was just waiting for one. Even the conversations between characters made you feel like you were in the room.

Gallon’s descriptions of Yellowstone National Park were like watching them on an I-max screen: panoramic, sweeping and so colorful it practically glowed right off the page. The inner workings of the Oval Ofice and Pentagon were so convincing and raw-realistic that you can feel almost feel the anxiety of having so much responsibility on your shoulders. There were also some hysterical moments in the story that practically had me rolling on the floor.

I read alot of thrillers and one thing that has been turning me off to the genre lately is just how tired and formulaic most authors in it have become. It's like they literally have an outline somewhere, change the names of characters and the locations and plop out a book. But, if that is what you are expecting from this novel prepare to be blown away. There is nothing formulaic about this story. Hell every established convention was not only ignored, but just erradicated without mercy.

Any time I had to put the novel down, even for a few minutes, I felt antsy and just wanted to get back to it as quickly as possible. As I was getting closer to the end of the novel I actually stopped answering my phone just so I could find out what in the hell was going to happen next.

The characters in Darkest Days are strong and believable. If you don’t actually know people like them, you feel like you do when you are done reading the novel. The plot has so many twists and turns you feel like you’re on a roller coaster, but despite its complexity, Gallon’s attention to detail, pacing, and writing style make it very easy to follow.

The best thing is that Gallon really knew how to end the story. There were no cheesey cliffhangers, or cliché “or is it” style conclusions. The book ends and even though you know there is more to this story you don’t walk away feeling like he’s just trying to hook you for another ride.

I highly recommend this novel to anyone looking for a hard hitting political novel that will keep you on the edge of your seat and even make you fall off a few times.

This is definitely an author to watch. ( )
  Bookalicious | May 24, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425220230, Mass Market Paperback)

All over the world, the enemies of the United States Plot its destruction, and enemies are everywhere: from the deserts of the Middle East... to the jungles of Central America... to the very heart of the United States...

It begins with a tragedy. Air Force One crashes into the ocean, and the president and first lady are confirmed dead -- ushering in a new Washington regime...

It continues with an attack. An apocalyptic explosion tears through Yellowstone National Park, with foreign terrorists named as the culprits...

It ends with one soldier. Long operating secretly in Sudan, Army Lieutenant Adam Burch receives word that both of his parents have vanished. Going AWOL, Burch returns to the United States to find them. Instead he finds a nation under siege from within: Freedom is a memory, fear rules with an iron hand, and those in power are willing to sacrifice millions of lives to achieve their sinister goals -- unless Burch can stop them...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:19 -0400)

After Air Force One crashes - killing everyone on board - an unimaginable tragedy strikes the western United States. These acts are the precursors to a race between the US, Russia and China to grab as much of the remaining natural resources as possible - but has the whole situation been brought to a head by one huge conspiracy?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,498,378 books! | Top bar: Always visible