Life on the Refrigerator Door by Alice…

Life on the Refrigerator Door (2007)

by Alice Kuipers

Pieces of Georgia by Jen Bryant (celerydog)
    celerydog: Arty, 13 year old girl in diffcult relationship with her widowed father, journals and draws her way to understanding. This book has been a hit with fans of LOTRD in my library.

English (59)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Finnish (1)  All (64)
I got this book as a surprise gift from the Harper Collins Facebook group. I kept reading good things about it on that group's postings so I took it with me this morning because I knew I would be finishing the book I was reading before the end of the day. Since I had a few bus rides and then a wait for a medical appointment I did finish my previous book and I started reading this. When I say that I finished it at lunchtime you might expect that it was a light fluffy read but it certainly was not light.

In a probably common scenario a teenage daughter and her single parent obstetrician mother communicate with each other by leaving notes on the refrigerator door. They rarely see each other but they do seem to eat fairly healthily judging by the items one asks the other to pick up at the grocery store. Then the mother tells the daughter (Claire, sometimes ClaireBear) that they have to make time to talk. After a few tries they get together and Claire learns her mother has a lump in her breast. At first it doesn't seem too serious and Claire is sure that broccoli and exercise will make her mother all better. Then chemotherapy and radiation have to be started and the mother is having to be looked after by Claire. Claire also starts a relationship with a boy during this time and then the boy breaks up with her. Just reading the notes from that period brought back the anguish of teenage love.

This sparely written little book packs a big wallop. I recommend it but it might not be the best read for someone diagnosed with cancer or who has a loved one who has been. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 9, 2017 |
What a simple idea! And WHAT a powerful book! I cried... ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
The relationship between this mother and daughter is amazingly touching. Although a sad topic this book is a must read. Plus it is a very quick read so anyone can find the time to squeeze it in. ( )
  add_dragon | Mar 26, 2016 |
Super fast light read. I thought it would be just a teen, mother-daughter relationship book but things change when mom is diagnosed with cancer. Prepare yourself for tissues and tears. If you enjoyed Fault in Our Stars, you will enjoy this one. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
An adorable idea of notes left on between a mother and daughter. For any women affected by breast cancer this is will hit home. ( )
  LiteraryChanteuse | Jan 27, 2016 |
Hey Claire-Bear,

Claire and her mother are running out of time, but they don't know it. Not yet. Claire is wrapped up with the difficulties of her bourgeoning adulthood—boys, school, friends, identity; Claire's mother, a single mom, is rushed off her feet both at work and at home. They rarely find themselves in the same room at the same time, and it often seems that the only thing they can count on are notes to each other on the refrigerator door. When home is threatened by a crisis, their relationship experiences a momentous change. Forced to reevaluate the delicate balance between their personal lives and their bond as mother and daughter, Claire and her mother find new love and devotion for one another deeper than anything they had ever imagined.

Heartfelt, touching, and unforgettable, Life on the Refrigerator Door is a glimpse into the lives of mothers and daughters everywhere. In this deeply touching novel told through a series of notes written from a loving mother and her devoted fifteen-year-old daughter, debut author Alice Kuipers deftly captures the impenetrable fabric that connects mothers and daughters throughout the world. Moving and rich with emotion, Life on the Refrigerator Door delivers universal lessons about love in a wonderfully simple and poignant narrative.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:09 -0400)

Claire and her mother are running out of time, but they don't know it. They rarely find themselves in the same room at the same time, and it often seems that the only thing they can count on are notes to each other on the refrigerator door. When home is threatened by a crisis, their relationship experiences a momentous change. Forced to reevaluate the delicate balance between their personal lives and their bond as mother and daughter, Claire and her mother find new love and devotion for one another deeper than anything they had ever imagined.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,056,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible