Girls, Vol. 4: Extinction (v. 4) by Joshua…

Girls, Vol. 4: Extinction (v. 4)

by Joshua Luna

This isn't very good. The plot is beyond implausible or believable. It seems the writers came up with some r-rated pictures and plot points then constructed a convoluted story around them.

Mild Spoilers, Major problems
The aliens can build indestructible domes, and one of them is indestructible yet the most important part of their plan are vulnerable naked women
The people in the a story take four issues to decide to simply have the townsfolk decide to team up and kill the title characters, once they do that two pages later the story is over.
Every character is a cliche. All. Each Every. ( )
  yeremenko | Mar 23, 2017 |
As I made mention in my previous review for this series I made a mistake and read volume 3 and 4 back to back. Mistake because that could have merged the two volumes in my mind, making it harder to say anything here. Though, thinking about it, I can distinguish between the two volumes.

As I had also mentioned in my previous review – I had started off the series reading everything. Not always liking what I was reading, but still reading everything. By the third volume, that had changed. Finding myself accidentally skipping sections and having to go back to read. That lessoned somewhat in the fourth volume, but I did find myself skimming a little once or twice, and downright skipping maybe once.

I made a comment once, somewhere, at some point in time undetermined, one of the reasons I couldn’t get past the pilot of the new version of Battlestar Galactica was simply because one of the main characters loudly talked to himself. Without caring about whether or not anyone could see them. Also one of the things I disliked about Quantum Leap. And, oddly, that came up once again here in this series. Elliot, who I’ve yet to admit isn’t really the main character like I had assumed/thought in the first volume, spent a good portion of the fourth volume talking to himself. Well, talking to a figment of his imagination in the form of that naked alien woman he had slept with. Loudly. Inches away from others.

You know, there are ways of indicating someone is talking inside their own head. Since neither the television shows, nor the comic showed any indication that the people talking to themselves out loud were actually holding conversations inside their brains instead of outside, I have to assume that that was intentional. Though, granted, there were at least two occasions in this book when other characters made comments like ‘where’d you go, you were just standing there in a daze’. So, I guess there were indications. Bah, whatever. Still annoying.

I’m vaguely curious what the overall intention had been for the sperm and egg. If alien invasion, they went about it oddly – sure, setting up in a small community, attempting to take it over, before spreading out is time worn invasion strategy. Except, a huge visible egg appeared and captured a town. For a week or more. Very obvious. So obvious the military showed up and pointed heavy weaponry at the egg. So, as I said, there is some advantage to setting up in a small location then spreading out, but that’s negated if you advertise the fact that you are there before lowering the barrier. But, I don’t want to go any further.

Series as a whole: I didn’t see it specifically in reviews for the last volume in the series, in the two seconds I looked at the first page of reviews, but one of the things that got hammered into my head was some very specific, angry, loathing reviews. Most of which involved words like ‘misogynistic’ and the like.

Just so I remind myself – misogyny – a hatred of women. Okay then, reminded myself I did.

Truth be told, if anyone got shown up in a bad light, it’s the men. There’s almost an anti-man vibe to everything. There were strong women who had some good ideas, and, at times, proved they had good ideas, combined with some really weak-minded men who routinely chose to do the wrong thing. Like, oh – fuck alien women. Even after knowing that doing so will create more. And that these women like attacking, killing, sometimes eating, and a lot of the time dragging dead/dying/injured women to the giant sperm.

So . . . um . . . what’s the opposite of misogyny? Heh, that’s love of women, I meant what means the same thing, but replace women with men. Ah, a misandrist. Misandry. (on a side note – interesting, I cannot find a quick one word word that actually means ‘love of women’ – I’m sure there is something, but not as quick to find as it is to find misogyny. When searching on Google. And only looking at the top three or five links).

Right. So, as I was saying – if anything, this comic seemed to have much more of a misandrist view. A hatred of men. Sure there were men who did some really dickish things in a misogynistic manner, some saying things that seem lifted from a misogynist playbook, but they were obvious dicks, and many of them died stupidly. This is kind of my point. Men are dicks, they say stupid things, even though they know it’s wrong, they can’t keep their dicks in their pants, even if fucking will cause death to people they supposedly love.

Oh, and there’s some mention about how there’s naked women throughout the series. And how they liked killing, specifically, the ‘ugly’ women. Personally, I found the human women a lot more attractive than the cow-eyed, parrot like, alien women. Though, to be frank, I’ve never been particularly . . . not sure what word I’m looking for here. I can think of a few, but I’m not going that direction. Hmm. Let’s try that again – to be frank, I’ve never found either of the men or women drawn by Luna to be overly attractive/gorgeous/handsome. They always seemed a little to . . . bland/blank/something or other.

But, to a large extent, I probably wouldn’t have had those thoughts about the misandrist/misogyny nature of the story if not for those thoughts being put into my brain from having seen them in reviews. I would have noticed some of the misogynist words, and the stupid – really really fucking stupid, actions of the men, but I am less likely to have focused on those thoughts and ideas if I hadn’t read those reviews. ( )
  Lexxi | Sep 28, 2015 |

The people of Pennystown struggle to find their way out of an alien bubble that separates their town from the rest of the world. But first, the men must overcome temptations of the beautiful clones that are quickly spreading throughout the town and exterminating the women. In this final installment of four volumes, we learn the final fate of Pennystown and their enigmatic invaders.--Amazon.com… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,970,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible