BLUEBEARD'S EGG by MARGARET ATWOOD

BLUEBEARD'S EGG (original 1983; edition 1994)

by MARGARET ATWOOD

Member:wookiebender
Title:BLUEBEARD'S EGG
Authors:MARGARET ATWOOD
Info:VIRAGO PRESS (1994), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

Bluebeard's Egg and Other Stories by Margaret Atwood (1983)

I read the Handmaid's tale years ago and found it astounding. So I was disappointed with these dull slice-of-life short stories, full of sad characters. Just finished it, and most of the tales are forgotten already.
I presume Atwood's huge reputation wasn't based on these. ( )
  LARA335 | Apr 30, 2014 |
ebook version
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
As always, I enjoy Atwood's writing, and this short story is no exception. There were stories I didn't like at all, some I found to be boring, but overall a well done collection of short fiction. And a good choice read from some of her earlier work. With short stories, you like some, you dislike others and this is no exception. Some of the stories didn't engage me, especially compared to some of the other works I've read by here, but she never fails at digging deep under the psyche and most inner emotions, characteristics and thoughts of her characters. Which is part of why I love Atwood's work so much, she digs deep and dirty into her characters, they are very flawed people, most of the time are morally grey as well. Uglypuss was a well written story, but I wanted to throttle the one character at the end. Poor Uglypuss!

The quality of writing is wonderful, Atwood is truly a master short story writer, who easily creates an entire story, in a short amount of time, giving the reader enough to get the whole story. I particularly enjoyed Bluebeard's Egg and Sunrise. Salt garden was also a good story to read.

Overall, a good collection of short stories, from one of my favourite authors.

Also on my book review blog Jules' Book Reviews - Bluebeard's Egg ( )
  bookwormjules | Nov 6, 2011 |
I normally love Margaret Atwood's novels so I was looking forward to this book but I found myself slightly disappointed.

This is a collection of short stories by Atwood, some are autobiographical and I think these were the ones I enjoyed the most.

The rest were well written but often ended abruptly and left me feeling clueless about what that particular story was about. I don't know whether I just don't like the short story format or whether these were too literary for me but I was left feeling like Atwood was trying to make some point that I just wasn't getting.

I felt quite dim which is not a feeling I enjoy! ( )
  souloftherose | Apr 11, 2010 |
Tales to be savoured. Atwood is wonderful at capturing moments in time and here we have incidents from people's lives that expose their relationships - as child; partner; lover or mother. What struck me about this collection was that here the characters seem somewhat adrift in their own lives, not quite in control. Hard to pick a favourite but, for me, the best of them are Loulou, or, The Domestic Life of Language - a tale of a woman and the men in her life and Scarlet Ibis - an incident from a vacation. ( )
1 vote calm | Apr 8, 2010 |
For My Parents
When my mother was very small, someone gave her a basket of baby chicks for Easter.

A collection of short stories that are both funny and frightening, very realistically drawn from every day life.

Contents: Indhold: Significant moments in the life of my mother --
Hurricane Hazel --
Loulou or The domestic life of the language --
Uglypuss --
Two stories about Emma (The whirlpool rapids --
Walking on water) --
Bluebeard's egg --
Spring song of the frogs --
Scarlet Ibis --
The salt garden --
In search of the rattlesnake plantain --
The sunrise --
Unearthing suite

By turns humorous and warm, stark and frightening, Bluebeard'S Egg glows with childhood memories, the reality of parents growing old, and the casual cruelty men and women inflict on each other. Here is the familiar outer world of family summers at remote lakes, winters of political activism, and seasons of exotic friends, mundane lives, and unexpected loves. But here too is the inner world of hidden places and all that emerges from them-the intimately personal, the fantastic, the shockingly real...whether it's what lives in a mysterious locked room or the secret feelings we all conceal. In this dramatic and far-ranging collection, Margaret Atwood proves why she is a true master of the genre.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:49 -0400)

A collection of short stories that concern themselves with relationships of various sorts, by turns humorous and warm, as well as stark and frightening.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,282,298 books! | Top bar: Always visible