Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson

Notes from a Small Island (1995)

by Bill Bryson

Recently added bySDanford, coffeeNoSugar, mirikayla, private library, Zcorbain, Laurochka, thukpa, pw0327
Legacy LibrariesJuice Leskinen

English (152)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (157)
This is my in the car emergency book. I've been reading it forever, and I'll be reading it forever.
  thukpa | Feb 6, 2016 |
  thukpa | Feb 6, 2016 |
  thukpa | Feb 5, 2016 |
Notes from a Small island tells the story of the road trip that Bill Bryson made around Britain in the 1990s shortly before he returned to his native America. Although he can see the faults of Britain, he cannot deny that he loves the place too. This is a warm and witty book and I enjoyed Bryson's interactions with people more than anything. I will be going on to read The Road to Little Dribbling to see what he makes of our island 20 years on. ( )
  nicx27 | Jan 31, 2016 |
Listened to the first few discs of this... just couldn't get into it. I have trouble with authors who try too hard to be clever and cute and sardonic and wry and etc... some funny stuff, but just a little too much for me. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jan 29, 2016 |

Roberts, WilliamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruschmeier, SigridTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilde, Suzan deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Cynthia
My first sight of England was on a foggy March night in 1973 when I arrived on the midnight ferry from Calais.

Bill Bryson, although living in Yorkshire, England, was born in America, and after deliberation with his wife, decided to move back there. Before departing, however, Bryson travelled one last time around England, from Dover to Liverpool to John O’Groats, keeping a record of his experiences. The result was Notes from a Small Island, a book filled with trains, tea-rooms, and (mostly) polite, amiable people.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380727501, Paperback)

Reacting to an itch common to Midwesterners since there's been a Midwest from which to escape, writer Bill Bryson moved from Iowa to Britain in 1973. Working for such places as Times of London, among others, he has lived quite happily there ever since. Now Bryson has decided his native country needs him--but first, he's going on a roundabout jaunt on the island he loves.

Britain fascinates Americans: it's familiar, yet alien; the same in some ways, yet so different. Bryson does an excellent job of showing his adopted home to a Yank audience, but you never get the feeling that Bryson is too much of an outsider to know the true nature of the country. Notes from a Small Island strikes a nice balance: the writing is American-silly with a British range of vocabulary. Bryson's marvelous ear is also in evidence: "... I noted the names of the little villages we passed through--Pinhead, West Stuttering, Bakelite, Ham Hocks, Sheepshanks ..." If you're an Anglophile, you'll devour Notes from a Small Island.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:01 -0400)

Before returning to America after spending twenty years in Britain, the author decided to tour his second home and presents a look at England's quirks and its endearing qualities.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,153,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible