The Modern World by Steph Swainston

The Modern World (2007)

by Steph Swainston

Series: Story of the Fourlands (3)

The Modern World (aka Dangerous Offspring in the US version) is the third novel of the Fourlands Series by Steph Swainston.

Plot:
The circle’s architect Frost has a plan to get quite a bit of land back from the insects. So the Fourlands are at work building a huge dam, to then flush out the insects. The people not occupied with that are busy fighting the insects in combat, led by quite a few of the circle’s immortals. Among them is Lightning, the archer, but Lightning is otherwise occupied: his daughter Cyan is missing. What he considered simple teenage rebellion so far has him more concerned. So he asks the circle’s messenger Jant to find her and bring her back to him. But Jant’s search brings him right back to his own past.

The Modern World is an exciting continuation of the Fourlands series and simply a great book in its own right. Again I can only say that I loved it.

Read more on my blog: https://kalafudra.com/2016/09/18/the-modern-world-steph-swainston/ ( )
  kalafudra | Jul 21, 2017 |
I think this volume (in the series that includes previous books The Year of Our War and No Present Like Time) is actually a bit more readable than the last book, probably because there's more action and we're getting at some of the background mysteries of how and why things are as they are in this world. (I assume there will be another book in the series next year, and I assume I will read it.) ( )
  ronhenry | Nov 17, 2015 |
To say that this is a surprising, excellent book that plays with expectations and tropes is an understatement! This is easily one of the best new (well, new in my case) fantasy books I’ve read in a while and I’ll definitely be catching up on Steph Swainston’s work! Read the rest of my review here: http://davebrendon.wordpress.com/2009/03/04/review-the-modern-world-steph-swains... ( )
  Dave-Brendon | May 6, 2009 |
A worthy third entry in the series, and an improvement on the slight misstep that was the second book. This is heady stuff, fantasy with real verve and creativity. Swainston also leaves things open-ended with the possibility of more books to come. I for one, can't wait to see where she goes with it all. ( )
  iftyzaidi | Jul 24, 2008 |
Still sparky and well written and up until the last third well plotted, this book dissappointed me enormously by somehow failing to deliver in that last section. I don't know exactly what was wrong but something was! Except for that I enjoyed it. ( )
  eoinpurcell | Jun 7, 2007 |

Steph Swainstonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sivet, ChristopheCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Brian

The third of the castle novels will take the reader ever deeper into a world of beauty and terror. A world led by an immortal emperor and the circle; his 50 immortal helpers. It is a world with an absentee god, a world that has been fighting a war against giant insects. A world like no other. There will be more insights into Jant, the emperors vain winged messenger, and the shift, the surreal other life Jant enters when he overdoses on his drug of choice and where he meets the dead in a land that defies logic. This is a fantasy series like no other - a literary fantasy with the verve and originality to stand alongside the best of Mervyn Peake, M. John Harrison and China Mieville.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:42 -0400)

'The Modern World' will take the reader ever deeper into a world of beauty and terror. A world led by an immortal emperor and his circle of 50 immortal helpers. It is a world with an absentee god, a world that has been fighting a war against giant insects. A world like no other.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,542,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible