In the Cities of Coin and Spice by…

In the Cities of Coin and Spice

by Catherynne Valente

The Drowning City by Amanda Downum (ligature)
    The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter (clfisha)
    clfisha: Modern, intelligent re-workings of fairy tales. Short stories rather then nested.
    Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier (AmethystFaerie)

In the Cities of Coin and Spice is the sequel to In the Night Garden by Catherynne Valente. The books share the same structure, with stories nested inside of stories, up to seven levels including the framing story. As for that framing story, it continues in this book and finally gets a satisfying conclusion.

I enjoyed this one as much as the first one. The format has lost its newness factor, though; at this point it feels perfectly normal. It also didn’t seem quite as complexly structured as the first book, but maybe that’s just because I was so used to it. It seemed like the stories were more concentrated in a couple layers. As before, the stories were interconnected. There were also a lot of ties back to the first book, some obvious and some more subtle.

The stories themselves were darker than in the first book, especially in the first half, and I think I liked them a bit better. I did still occasionally lose interest in some parts, but not too much. The author wove everything together from both books in a satisfying and intricate way. I suspect a reader would enjoy the series as much if not more on a re-read, because the conclusion sheds new light on everything that happened before.

This was my first time reading anything by Valente, and I was impressed. I’ll likely try more of her work in the future. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Sep 23, 2017 |
Volume two of this duo of interconnected and interwoven short stories / fairy tales was just as enchanting as the first. Complex, layered, and rich, the stories slowly build off of the ones before, and keep circling back as well. At the very end, we learn more about where the girls in the garden comes from, a sweet payoff.

I took too long of a break between the two volumes. Because stories in volume two reference stories in volume one, I recommend reading the second right after you finish the first. ( )
  chavala | Dec 28, 2016 |
Valente's Orphan's Tales (both need to be read together) moved immediately up to the forefront of my list of favorite books. It's been a long time since I have felt so captivated by a book. I never wanted them to end. ( )
  crystallyn | Jul 6, 2016 |
Beautifully written fairy tales told within a fairy tale. These stories wove together a little better than in the first book (or perhaps I'm just more used to the style). Each story chills, thrills, and comforts; each is sensual and imaginative in a way very few authors even attempt. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Valente’s Oprhan’s Tales are simply amazing. Continuing with the same theme as The Orphan’s Tales Vol. I (In the Night Garden), In the Cities of Coin and Spice follows the tales spun from the inked eyelids of a displaced Orphan. This book oozes imagination and creativity. It permeates it in much the same way as the that a rich spice flavors your favorite dish. If you have a penchant for strange and mythical creatures then this is a one stop shop. They spring out at you on every page, winged skeletons, loyal leopards, hedgehog warriors, sparrow calligraphers, firebirds, djinns, manticores, unicorns, and glass women. The book kept me turning the pages fast enough to risk paper-cuts, all just to see what came next. Plus, the prose is beautiful, the writing fluid, and the stories unforgettable. I really can’t recommend it highly enough. ( )
  SadieSForsythe | Feb 24, 2016 |
For Sarah, who, when she was older, wanted the World.
The paths of the Garden were wet with fallen apples and red with their ruptured skin.
"I speak the tongues of death," she whispered, her voice mingling with the wind. "I am translated, and I do not know myself, save that I have become what I have eaten, and it has become me."
It is the first thing I remember, the lonely shore and the ferry. And the bones and the lizards -- we are all translated on these shores, and I am sure I don't understand it, but there is a kind of poetry in metamorphosis.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055338404X, Paperback)

Catherynne M. Valente enchanted readers with her spellbinding In the Night Garden. Now she continues to weave her storytelling magic in a new book of Orphan’s Tales—an epic of the fantastic and the exotic, the monstrous and mysterious, that will transport you far away from the everyday….

Her name and origins are unknown, but the endless tales inked upon this orphan’s eyelids weave a spell over all who listen to her read her secret history. And who can resist the stories she tells? From the Lake of the Dead and the City of Marrow to the artists who remain behind in a ghost city of spice, here are stories of hedgehog warriors and winged skeletons, loyal leopards and sparrow calligraphers. Nothing is too fantastic, anything can happen, but you’ll never guess what comes next in these intimately linked adventures of firebirds and djinn, singing manticores, mutilated unicorns, and women made entirely of glass and gears. Graced with the magical illustrations of Michael Kaluta, In the Cities of Coins and Spice is a book of dreams and wonders unlike any you’ve ever encountered. Open it anywhere and you will fall under its spell. For here the story never ends and the magic is only beginning….

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:25 -0400)

Catherynne M. Valente enchanted readers with her spellbinding In the Night Garden . Now she continues to weave her storytelling magic in a new book of Orphan's Tales--an epic of the fantastic and the exotic, the monstrous and mysterious, that will transport you far away from the everyday ... Her name and origins are unknown, but the endless tales inked upon this orphan's eyelids weave a spell over all who listen to her read her secret history. And who can resist the stories she tells? From the Lake of the Dead and the City of Marrow to the artists who remain behind in a ghost city of spice, here are stories of hedgehog warriors and winged skeletons, loyal leopards and sparrow calligraphers. Nothing is too fantastic, anything can happen, but you'll never guess what comes next in these intimately linked adventures of firebirds and djinn, singing manticores, mutilated unicorns, and women made entirely of glass and gears. Graced with the magical illustrations of Michael Kaluta, In the Cities of Coins and Spice is a book of dreams and wonders unlike any you've ever encountered. Open it anywhere and you will fall under its spell. For here the story never ends and the magic is only beginning ... From the Trade Paperback edition.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,404,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible