Lonely Planet Turkey by Verity Campbell
Info:Lonely Planet Publications (2007), Edition: 10, Paperback, 724 pages
Rating:***
Tags:travel, Turkey, nonfiction

Lonely Planet Turkey by Tom Brosnahan

I know about deadlines, and I know about padding word counts, but this is all "At Guney Dog you can enjoy freshly-squeezed, refreshing orange juice made from the freshest sweetest oranges." You know, instead of telling you if they have breakfast or, like, an otogar shuttle or something useful, right? It spends more time telling you about things that suck and to avoid than things it likes, which is never a good sign (and unconscionable in amazing Turkey). Also, she keeps her obsession with sceney git restaurant 360 in control here, but she doesn't other places, and for that and other reasons I can't quite forget how much Verity Cambell bugs me. ( )
  MeditationesMartini | Jun 4, 2008 |
A classic in its time. There wasn't much available on Turkey, and Brosnahan became a guru. Travelled with it the first time I went there (1989), and took it when we lived there. Superceded by weightier tomes now, but I have a very affectionate spot for this on my bookshelf!
1 vote saliero | Mar 1, 2008 |
Gosh, have things changed since I first went to Turkey clutching the 1988 2nd ed. That edition was written by the legendary Tom Brosnahan, and was one of the few comprehensive guidebooks to Turkey available at the time. The current edition does the usual good LP coverage - the typeface has got smaller, lighter and harder to read (and it's not just my ageing eyes - I am looking at them side by side! ( )
  saliero | Dec 31, 2007 |

Tom Brosnahanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yale, Patmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carillet, Jean-BernardAuthorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maxwell, VirginiaAuthorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raphael, MiriamAuthorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0864423640, Paperback)

From Antarctica to Zimbabwe, if you're going there chances are Lonely Planet has been there first. With a pithy and matter-of-fact writing style, these guides are guaranteed to calm the nerves of first-time world travelers, while still listing off-the-beaten-path finds sure to thrill even the most jaded globetrotters. Lonely Planet has been perfecting its guidebooks for nearly 30 years, and as a result has experience and know-how similar to an older sibling's "been there" advice. The original backpacker's bible, the LP series has recently widened its reach. While still giving insights for the low-budget traveler, the books now list a wide range of accommodations and itineraries for those with less time than money.

This bestselling guide is the ticket to no-nonsense travel in Turkey. Far-reaching coverage of the sights--from the modern to the ancient--is complemented by a Turkish food guide, useful language section and glossary, and thorough accommodation coverage (from hostels to hotels). A section devoted to Turkish carpets explains everything from traditional patterns to making a good buy. --Kathryn True

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:53 -0400)

This guide features a special section on outdoor activities for each region, extensive coverage on archaeology, culture, the battleground of Gallipoli, special insights for solo women travellers, and accommodation, restaurant and entertainment listings for all budgets.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,649,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible