Empire of Ivory, Narrated By Simon Vance, 10…

Empire of Ivory, Narrated By Simon Vance, 10 Cds [Complete & Unabridged… (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Naomi Novik

Member:Jaelle
Title:Empire of Ivory, Narrated By Simon Vance, 10 Cds [Complete & Unabridged Audio Work]
Authors:Naomi Novik
Info:
Rating:*****
Tags:Dragons, Historical Fantasy, Temeraire, Iskierka, Alternate history, Napoleanic Wars, England, OverDrive Audiobook. Africa, Slavery, England - Abolition

Empire of Ivory by Naomi Novik (2008)

English (73)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (75)
Since I hadn't read the first 3 books of the series, I was a bit at a loss in the first few chapters as to why I should care if the Prussians were being killed by French. However, the relationship between Laurence and Temraire was delightful, as was the playing out of this alternate history. Laurence was quite the honourable gentleman, and the ending respects his choices. ( )
  juniperSun | Aug 29, 2014 |
I think this might be my favorite book in the series, with perhaps exception for the first book. I loved that they ended up in Africa and saw that there was a whole different world there with a slew of dragons themselves. I felt it broadened the story considerably. The formal language is still a constant although listening to the language instead of reading it in this book’s case was a little interesting at first. It’s not like any of the other books have lacked the quest storyline, but here in particular I appreciated the quest much more than previous books. Perhaps because it was centered on the dragons themselves whom I’ve been missing. The British dragons weren’t in the previous two books at all. Also, Laurence actually meets Bonaparte in this book. This book ends on a semi-cliffhanger, so I am very curious to get my hands on the next one. ( )
  Kassilem | Aug 3, 2014 |
Review on its way, but in the meantime please see the full post on my blog:
http://theidlewoman.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/empire-of-ivory-naomi-novik.html ( )
  Leander2010 | Apr 22, 2014 |
Huh -- though this alt-history (Napoleonic Wars, with dragons!) series started from essentially a no-changes baseline, things are diverging more and more. (Spoilers follow.)

...

The slave trade is ended early, and with more apparent finality, when dragons raze the Slave Coast (along with Johannesburg), and a buildup of forces described at the end of this book point to Napoleon invading England very soon, having already conquered the rest of Europe (including Russia). The title of the next book, Victory of Eagles, suggests that they'll be successful, too. A pleasant surprise, though not too pleasant for the heroes of the stories. ( )
  sben | Feb 11, 2014 |
I adore this series. Yes, it's silly at times, but overall, it's got great characters and a fun storyline. And Simon Vance narrates it spectacularly, in that lovely accent of his. My thoughts on the series as a whole are on Erin Reads. ( )
  erelsi183 | Nov 18, 2013 |

Naomi Novikprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harman, DominicCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Francesca, may we always flee lions together.
"Send up another, damn you, send them all up, at once if you have to,” Laurence said savagely to poor Calloway, who did not deserve to be sworn at: the gunner was firing off the flares so quickly his hands were scorched black, skin cracking and peeling to bright red where some powder had spilled onto his fingers; he was not stopping to wipe them clean before setting each flare to the match.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345496876, Mass Market Paperback)

“A new writer is soaring on the wings of a dragon.”
–The New York Times

“Enthralling reading–it’s like Jane Austen playing Dungeons & Dragons with Eragon’s Christopher Paolini.”
–Time, on His Majesty’s Dragon

Tragedy has struck His Majesty’s Aerial Corps, whose magnificent fleet of fighting dragons and their human captains valiantly defend England’s shores against the encroaching armies of Napoleon Bonaparte. An epidemic of unknown origin and no known cure is decimating the noble dragons’ ranks–forcing the hopelessly stricken into quarantine. Now only Temeraire and a pack of newly recruited dragons remain uninfected–and stand as the only means of an airborne defense against France’s ever bolder sorties.
Bonaparte’s dragons are already harrowing Britain’s ships at sea. Only one recourse remains: Temeraire and his captain, Will Laurence, must take wing to Africa, whose shores may hold the cure to the mysterious and deadly contagion. On this mission there is no time to waste, and no telling what lies in store beyond the horizon or for those left behind to wait, hope, and hold the line.

“A gripping adventure full of rich detail and the impossible wonder of gilded fantasy.”
–Entertainment Weekly, on His Majesty’s Dragon

“A thrilling fantasy . . . All hail Naomi Novik.”
–The Washington Post Book World, on His Majesty’s Dragon

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:44 -0400)

Tragedy has struck His Majesty's Aerial Corps, as an epidemic of unknown origin and no known cure is decimating the dragons' ranks. Only Temeraire and a pack of newly recruited dragons remain uninfected and must stand as the only means of airborne defense against France's ever bolder sorties. As Bonaparte's dragons harrow Britain's ships, Temeraire and his captain, Will Laurence, take wing to Africa in search of a cure for the deadly contagion.… (more)

Naomi Novik is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,407,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible