K-PAX by Gene Brewer

K-PAX (1995)

by Gene Brewer

Series: K-Pax (1)

Atmospheric Disturbances by Rivka Galchen (sanddancer)
    sanddancer: Atmospheric Disturbances is a more literary work, but both involve plots where it is certain whether someone is mentally ill or telling the truth even though it is odd.

I enjoyed the movie and the book.

I did get annoyed with Dr. Brewer's hang up about his father.
He hated that his father (who died while he was young) "forced" him to be a Doctor.
A man wanting his son to follow in his footsteps is not unusual.

I like what K-Pax had to say. ( )
  nx74defiant | Apr 30, 2017 |
I remember being disappointed by this, after enjoying the movie.... maybe I should reread it someday, I dunno...
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
A genuinely delightful book. I read this after watching the Kevin Spacey movie partly because I was so impressed with Spacey's performance that I knew I'd have a character I loved popping around in my head. A wonderful tale about a man who believes he is from outer space, and seems to have the intelligence and other worldly knowledge for it to be true, who spends his time at a mental hospital helping who he can.

I always enjoy the idea that 'crazy' people are not crazy at all but can see and understand something the rest of us cannot. This is one of those books.

areadingmachine | Aug 19, 2014 |
Alien visitor or mental patient? You won't find out until the end. Mainly, this is a story about the relationship between doctor and patient on present-day Earth. The main character Prot is brilliant, funny, and innocent...you root for him no matter the outcome. The author does a great job posing social questions, and commenting on the general state of man.

I saw the movie first, so was excited to learn the books are a series! I think the ideas are brilliant, but the execution is a bit lacking. I still give this book 5 stars, however, because reading after all is not about the details...but how much you enjoyed the journey. :) ( )
  hopefully86 | May 1, 2013 |
This was a great trilogy and I read each book in quick succession. I even discovered there was a K-Pax IV, but it seems to have mixed reviews and doesn't seem to involve the same characters, so I may not seek it out immediately.

This first book sets the style for the trilogy - I enjoyed the chapters set out as expanded notes/observations based on the sessions with Prot. The deliberate ambiguity of whether he is a being from another planet is nicely played out, although at the end I found myself shouting internally the surely scientific solutions of probing this would have been undertaken if only to prove to the patient he was human (I was pleased to see blood testing results discussed in the subsequent books). Both thought-provoking, funny and heart-warming, especially where Prot interacts and 'cures' some of the other patients, this was a joy to read. ( )
  bigcurlyloz | Jan 20, 2010 |
Inspired by Oliver Sacks' psychiatry-turned-philosophy classic, The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat, K-PAX explores the nature of truth, reality and our enduring need to believe.
added by Sylak | editMaxim

This gloriously off-beat comedy reads like a combination of Starman, Oliver Sacks and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
added by Sylak | editEsquire

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312977026, Mass Market Paperback)

Psychiatrist Gene Brewer doesn't have a diagnosis for the mysterious new patient who calls himself "prot" (rhymes with goat). But this strange and likeable man cannot be--as he claims--from the planet K-PAX.

Or can he? Prot knows facts about space that are confounding the experts. He is soon revealing Dr. Brewer's own deepest pains and most sublime longings. And his tales of K-PAX have other patients competing to go along with him when he heads "home". Now the doctor is racing the clock to find prot's true identity before he losses a man whose "madness" might just save them all. . .

Published in a dozens countries with movie rights sold to the producer of Field of Dreams, K-PAX has touched the hearts and expanded the horizons of readers around the world. It promises to join Robert Heinlein's classic Stranger in a Strange Land as a moving, thought-provoking masterpiece of modern-day fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:46 -0400)

When a new patient is brought to a hospital claiming to be an inhabitant of the planet, K-Pax, a place of no wars and no crime, a hospital seems to be just the place for him. But how to explain his supernatural powers? Virtually everybody who meets this extraordinarily gentle and empathetic character is changed for the better. Is mad really mad?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,533,448 books! | Top bar: Always visible