The Sorcerer of the North by John Flanagan

The Sorcerer of the North (original 2006; edition 2009)

by John Flanagan

Title:The Sorcerer of the North
Authors:John Flanagan
Info:Random House (2009), Paperback

The Sorcerer of the North by John Flanagan (Author) (2006)

English (31)  Dutch (1)  All languages (32)
"Yay! Will is finally a full Ranger, and is out on his own. The story actually starts a few years after the events of the fourth book and it is easy to notice how much Will has improved in this period of untold story. He is no longer an innocent boy that always needs to be rescued. Now he possesses sharp and deadly skills that are shown very well through his actions. Will has to solve his own problems now and I really enjoyed seeing his adult attitude.

There were great additions to the group of main characters, the most meaningful of them, in my opinion, being Will's childhood friend Alyss. It was great seeing her finally getting a bigger role and how Flanagan lets the doors of diplomacy open new paths to his tale.

The story of The Sorcerer in the North begins when Lord Syron of the Norgate Fief in Hibernia is struck by a mysterious illness. So Will, Tug (his new super cute and smart dog) and Alyss are summoned to figure out what is happening. They soon find out, through rumors, that there is a dark force living in the woods near Norgate. The locals suspect that this force is responsible for Syron's illness, but Will is not so sure. So he must put his brain into work to try to add all the clues together before it's too late.

All things considered, I really liked this book. It brought balance to the series, since it was not so packed with action scenes as the last one. It was really touching to see how much influence Halt has had in Will's life, through his lessons and most of all through his actions.

The only problem, in my opinion, was the plot in general. It didn't display that amount of depth that I was expecting from Flanagan. At times it felt like I was reading a darker version of a Sherlock Holmes story: we got a problem, we got options for who is the culprit, we investigate, we solve the problem; nothing too deep, not much character development. The only real noticeable development was Will changing from apprentice to full Ranger and Alyss who also was totally different. I just wish Flanagan would've shown us readers the years between book four and five so we could get a little more background on the events that led to them becoming who they are now.

Interesting quotes that I didn't include in the review:
Don't concentrate on the obvious. They might want you to miss something else.

The Last Passage
Xander looked at him curiously. The young Ranger seemed to be admitting defeat, but there was a note of grim determination in his voice. Xander knew that this matter was a long way from finished.
“What then?” he asked.
Will turned to face him. The deep cowl of his cloak hid the top part of his face in shadow. Xander could see only the mouth and the determined set of his jaw.
“ Then,” he said, “I’m getting Alyss out of your damned castle—if I have to take it apart stone by stone to do it.”
" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
Quite some time has passed since the last book, as Will is now a full trained Ranger and setting to go on his first mission as a Ranger.

This book was for me a bit different from the previous ones. Will obviously is older, but sadly he doesn't get any training any more (That was one of my favourites parts in the book) and this also means we don't get to see a lot of Halt in this book. You can feel that this book is building up to something that will probably come in book six (which I haven't read yet; so I can't be sure), but this means that there are no great battles in this book. Still, it was a very enjoyable read, and I'm planning to read the sixth book soon (when I get the time and finally find that book in the library) ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
A primeira tarefa de Will como um arqueiro é assumir o posto de guardião do feudo de Seaclif. Will recebe a visita de uma velha amiga, Alyss, que lhe fala sobre a misteriosa doença de lorde Syron, o senhor do castelo de Macindaw, no extremo norte. Ela conta que a população local está aterrorizada com os rumores de que um terrível feiticeiro é o responsável pelo mal do lorde. Então, uma difícil tarefa é dada a Will - descobrir a verdade. Sem saber em quem confiar em meio a tantas superstições e boatos, Will pode contar apenas com seu treinamento, suas habilidades e a inteligência para sobreviver. Gênero: Infanto - Juvenil
  melissa.gamador | Sep 9, 2014 |
In book five of the rangers apprentice series will becomes a jongular and has to travel to the north to investagate a so called "sorcerer" in grimsdel wood. His friend Horace and Alyss meet him and have some interesting adventures.

I recomend this book to any reader out there! ( )
  br14adro | Jun 13, 2014 |

Flanagan, JohnAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Corneille, LaurentTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
De Magiër van Macindaw is de vertaling van The Sorcerer of the North!

Time has passed since the apprentice and his master, Will and Halt, led the Araluens to victory against invaders, and Will is now a full-fledged Ranger with his own fief to look after. The fief seems sleepy boring, evenuntil the king is poisoned. Joined by his friend Alyss, Will is thrown headfirst into an extraordinary adventure propelled by fears of sorcery, and must determine who is trustworthy to the king and who is trying to take his throne.Will and Alyss must battle growing hysteria, traitors, and most of all, time. The king is fading, but when Alyss is taken hostage, Will is forced to make a desperate choice between loyalty to his mission and loyalty to his friend.Adventure abounds in this absorbing installment of the New York Timesbestselling series.

Will is finally a full-fledged Ranger with his own fief to look after. The fief seems boring until Lord Syron, master of a castle far in the north, is struck down by a mysterious illness. Joined by his friend Alyss, Will is suddenly thrown headfirst into an extraordinary adventure, investigating fears of sorcery and trying to determine who is loyal to Lord Syron. As Will battles growing hysteria, traitors, and, most of all, time, Alyss is taken hostage, and Will is forced to make a desperate choice between his mission and his friend.… (more)

201 wanted5 pay4 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,881,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible