The Sorcerer of the North by John Flanagan

The Sorcerer of the North (original 2006; edition 2009)

by John Flanagan

Member:ajwseven
Title:The Sorcerer of the North
Authors:John Flanagan
Info:Random House (2009), Paperback
Rating:***

The Sorcerer of the North by John Flanagan (Author) (2006)

Recently added bykganey, Ruler, private library, jball87, AndrewCalderwood, ritapt, Iread26, Francisca84

English (28)  Dutch (1)  All languages (29)
READ IN DUTCH

Quite some time has passed since the last book, as Will is now a full trained Ranger and setting to go on his first mission as a Ranger.

This book was for me a bit different from the previous ones. Will obviously is older, but sadly he doesn't get any training any more (That was one of my favourites parts in the book) and this also means we don't get to see a lot of Halt in this book. You can feel that this book is building up to something that will probably come in book six (which I haven't read yet; so I can't be sure), but this means that there are no great battles in this book. Still, it was a very enjoyable read, and I'm planning to read the sixth book soon (when I get the time and finally find that book in the library) ( )
  Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
In book five of the rangers apprentice series will becomes a jongular and has to travel to the north to investagate a so called "sorcerer" in grimsdel wood. His friend Horace and Alyss meet him and have some interesting adventures.

I recomend this book to any reader out there! ( )
  br14adro | Jun 13, 2014 |
For many authors, by the time they begin writing the fifth book in their series, they might fall into the trap of recycling certain plot points a bit. However, that is definitely not the case with John Flanagan thanks to his changing the setting of this story and introducing yet another new group of enemies. Once again he creates a tale that still has his trademark action and suspenseful scenes and yet it also explores the process that the main character goes through as he becomes a man in his own right. In short, I found "The Sorcerer of the North" yet another riveting read. Highly recommend it! ( )
  ThePageturners | Feb 23, 2014 |
This book is the 5th book of the Ranger's Apprentice series. In this book Will is now a official ranger. He is then sent to go to the sea cliff fief to be the ranger there. Then Halt, Will's ranger mentor and Crowley, the head of all rangers send him on a special assignment to Norgate fief to investigate claims of a sorcerer. Will's disguise on this assignment is a jongleur to easily blend in. While Will is there the courier to give Will information is none other than Alyss, the girl Will loves.

The position elements of action and adventure together with a twist of science. The reason I include science is because the sorcerer Will was sent to investigate turned out to be a scientist. This book had lots of good action like when Will fought this guy at his ranger cottage in seacliff fief. Also the book showed elements of adventure when Will was in Norgate fief he went into this forest and these lights that the scientist set up to try and scare people made Will scared and he left. I think that The scientist who's name is Malcolm is pretty cool because he set up all this neat stuff and he has everything to pretty much cure everything. Will also finds a dog that is really cool and can do a lot of stuff like seeking and spying on people. That is what I think of this book.
  GarrettE1.B4 | Dec 23, 2013 |
This is not a book... This is half of a book. Seriously... It's not even a cliffhanger ending, it just stops. I read it on my Kindle, so when I got to the ending I honestly thought something was wrong with the file. Nothing gets wrapped up, it doesn't even slowly draw to a close or hint that a conclusion is coming. It just ends. Not cool...

That said.. I have the next in the series already available to read, so it's not that big of a deal. And the rest of the book, putting aside how I feel about the ending, was pretty entertaining. There's something about these books that just feels comforting. They are YA done well.. Well written and well thought out. The plot and character relationships may be a little candy coated, but that doesn't take away from my overall enjoyment of the series.

3 stars. ( )
  breakofdawn | Jun 11, 2013 |

Flanagan, JohnAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
De Magiër van Macindaw is de vertaling van The Sorcerer of the North!

Time has passed since the apprentice and his master, Will and Halt, led the Araluens to victory against invaders, and Will is now a full-fledged Ranger with his own fief to look after. The fief seems sleepy boring, evenuntil the king is poisoned. Joined by his friend Alyss, Will is thrown headfirst into an extraordinary adventure propelled by fears of sorcery, and must determine who is trustworthy to the king and who is trying to take his throne.Will and Alyss must battle growing hysteria, traitors, and most of all, time. The king is fading, but when Alyss is taken hostage, Will is forced to make a desperate choice between loyalty to his mission and loyalty to his friend.Adventure abounds in this absorbing installment of the New York Timesbestselling series.

Will is finally a full-fledged Ranger with his own fief to look after. The fief seems boring until Lord Syron, master of a castle far in the north, is struck down by a mysterious illness. Joined by his friend Alyss, Will is suddenly thrown headfirst into an extraordinary adventure, investigating fears of sorcery and trying to determine who is loyal to Lord Syron. As Will battles growing hysteria, traitors, and, most of all, time, Alyss is taken hostage, and Will is forced to make a desperate choice between his mission and his friend.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,328,673 books! | Top bar: Always visible