Neurotheology: Virtual Religion in the 21st…

Neurotheology: Virtual Religion in the 21st Century

by Laurence O. McKinney

8None1,035,133 (4)None

No reviews

The most lively, readable and authoritative work on the interface between mind science and religion, Neurotheology: Virtual Religion in the 21st Century has become the classic in its field, a standard by which others are measured.

Teachers, scientists, students, and readers worldwide have found answers they wanted to basic riddles we all face. McKinney’s ability to trace the basis and evolution of religious and metaphysical practice with modern brain scanning technology has been praised by experts in every field including leading Christian theologian Harvey Cox, the Dalai Lama, and visionary writer Arthur C. Clarke.

What will we actually experience at death? Why do all religions let us escape hell? Why does God act like your father, and not your friend’s father? Why do we get that tunnel of light? How do athletic training and sincere religious practice both alter the mind in positive ways? Exactly how did we become "human"? What were we thinking between conception and birth? When did we first notice time?

Be prepared to marvel at how the brain manages our world from moment to moment as it weaves the tapestry of consciousness. Then be prepared to relax when you finally learn why "heaven" in any religion is not only likely, but nearly impossible to avoid for reasons quite acceptable to modern science.

The Harvard-educated author skillfully re-examines cutting edge brain science through social and cultural context to re-examine birth, infancy, life, and death through radically new perspectives.

If you enjoy thinking but want deeper answers, this is an owner’s manual for your mind. If you are religious, but enjoy science, this is the book you’ve been searching for. Neurotheology earned honorable mention in the Writer's Magazine First Works competition and remains the classic in a growing field.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:22 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,187,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible