Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel…

Chronicle of a Death Foretold (1981)

by Gabriel García Márquez

The Driver's Seat by Muriel Spark (AaronPt)
    AaronPt: Both are odd, short novels that mess around with the conventions of crime fiction.

English (78)  Spanish (12)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hebrew (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (102)
Chronicle of a Death Foretold is perfectly titles. From the very beginning, we know that the story is of the death of Santiago Nasar, we know who kills him, and why all from the very beginning. What's left? A wonderful unfolding story of the details leading up to the event as told by a single narrator, through the eyes of the dozens of townspeople who are being interviewed. The details are based on a real life event in which Gabriel Garcia Marquez was familiar.
The story is not only fascinating, it is chocked full of all sorts of moral and social dilemmas. There are a number of people who know of the impending murder, yet there are several camps of people, those who try to stop it, those who don't take it too seriously, and those who may even look to the tragedy for a dose of excitement.
What makes Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel Garcia Marquez so riveting is the differences in the story from one person's account to another's. This style of telling divulges so much of human nature, the way things are remembered, the way things are chosen to be remembered, and the way people embellish in the name of a good story.
I highly recommend reading Chronicle of a Death Foretold as long as you are not too horribly scared away by a large number of characters. ( )
  StephLaymon | Feb 3, 2016 |
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only book-lover who hates most of the books she reads. I don't mean to; I always go in hoping for the best. But for whatever reason, most books aren't what I was looking for.

Same goes for this book. I'd heard great things about Marquez, and was curious about "magical realism." And this book certainly had a compelling opening line. But ultimately, it felt like "Rashomon" with less-defined characters and a less-defined point. I enjoyed the description of the place, but the people felt interchangeable and unrealistic in their motivations.

Perhaps this was a translation problem, but certain words and descriptions became repetitive. Adolescents were always described as being "in bloom" and any scene with Nassar would end with "that was the last time s/he saw him." The first instance was interesting and compelling, but it quickly became annoying.

I didn't see much in terms of "magical realism," unless a belief in fate counts as magic.

I'm disappointed that I didn't enjoy Marquez more. I was looking forward to reading Love in the Time of Cholera, and now I'm put off the whole idea. Ah well. One can't enjoy everything. Especially in my case.
  Malora | Jan 18, 2016 |
Marquez's language is ever-beautiful, ever worth exploring, and this work proves to be no exception. Yet, much as I enjoyed the story, I can't say that it entranced me in the same way as his other work. I can't say that it moved too quickly, because I find his short stories to be magical, but something about this work just didn't live up to his other works. It may be that there was slightly too much wandering in story or character, or something else entirely, but one way or another, this probably won't be one of his works that I'll find particularly memorable.

I love Marquez, and I recommend him whole-heartedly, but I'd probably suggest starting with another work. This was a lovely diversion for what it was, but it just didn't live up to the standard set by Marquez with his other works. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Jan 15, 2016 |
Absolutely incredible book. I read the entire thing in one sitting and literally could not put it down the entire time. It is beautifully written, with many captivating passages and not a word wasted. The story is told in a non-linear way. In fact, it's essentially retold 5 times over from slightly different vantage points and with slightly more info each time. The imagery, themes and mood will stay with you for a while. For a ~100 page book, you just can't do any better. ( )
  brikis98 | Nov 11, 2015 |
Santiago Nasar, who are you? why are we so impotent in the face of death? why are we so clueless? A little gem. ( )
  sturmer | Oct 25, 2015 |
In short, one expects from ''Chronicle of a Death Foretold'' another powerful dose of the fabulous and surreal. But behold! While in no way resembling conventional social realism, ''Chronicle'' is not nearly so fantastic as Garcia Marquez's earlier novels. It contains a powerfully plausible plot - a dream-like detective story, really, that pursues the questions of why and how two young men have undertaken a brutal murder that they actually had not wanted to commit.

García Márquez, Gabrielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
文昭, 野谷Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
the hunt for love
is haughty falconry
Gil Vicente
On the day they were going to kill him, Santiago Nasar got up at five-thirty in the morning to wait for the boat the bishop was coming on.
Translation of: Crónica de una muerte anunciada

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140003471X, Paperback)

A man returns to the town where a baffling murder took place 27 years earlier, determined to get to the bottom of the story. Just hours after marrying the beautiful Angela Vicario, everyone agrees, Bayardo San Roman returned his bride in disgrace to her parents. Her distraught family forced her to name her first lover; and her twin brothers announced their intention to murder Santiago Nasar for dishonoring their sister.
Yet if everyone knew the murder was going to happen, why did no one intervene to stop it? The more that is learned, the less is understood, and as the story races to its inexplicable conclusion, an entire society--not just a pair of murderers—is put on trial.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:04 -0400)

A man returns to the town where a baffling murder took place twenty-seven years earlier, determined to get to the bottom of the story. Just hours after marrying the beautiful Angela Vicario, Bayardo San Roman returned his bride in disgrace to her parents. Her distraught family forced her to name her first lover, and her twin brothers announced their intention to murder Santiago Nasar for dishonoring their sister. Yet if everyone knew the murder was going to happen, why did no one intervene to stop it? The more that is learned, the less is understood, and as the story races to its inexplicable conclusion, an entire society, not just a pair of murderers, is put on trial.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,815,677 books! | Top bar: Always visible