The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

by Washington Irving

Other authors: Howard G. Baetzhold (Contributor), Sylvester Baxter (Contributor), Daniel Carter Beard (Contributor), Louis J. Budd (Contributor), George Washington Cable (Contributor)15 more, Everett Carter (Contributor), James M. Cox (Contributor), John B. Hoben (Contributor), William Dean Howells (Contributor), David Ketterer (Contributor), Rudyard Kipling (Contributor), Andrew Lang (Contributor), W. E. H. Lecky (Contributor), Kenneth S. Lynn (Contributor), Albert Bigelow Paine (Contributor), Henry Nash Smith (Contributor), William T. Stead (Contributor), Dennis Welland (Contributor), Charles Whibley (Contributor), James D. Williams (Contributor)

A superstitious schoolmaster, in love with a wealthy farmer's daughter, has a terrifying encounter with a headless horseman.

English (101)  Italian (1)  All languages (102)
I really enjoyed this little novella. I have heard of Ichabod Crane since I was a child, but other than knowing he was tall and skinny I didn't know anything. The appearance of the headless horseman was different than I thought it would be, much less creepy. ( )
  boldforbs | Jan 15, 2021 |
I can't tell you how old I was when this story was first read to me, but I was very, very young and already had a keen interest in the paranormal. I do recall the library book my mother read the story from, it was an anthology of children's literature with Arthur Rackham illustrations.

It was required reading in my 8th grade English class, when I was reintroduced to the story. My teacher led classroom discussion and I think she made this an interesting literary work for our age group.

As an adult, I discovered this edition with the Arthur Rackham illustrations that I remembered and loved so well, so I purchased it for an addition to my personal library.

This week my six year old daughter brought home a library book of the Disney version of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow, so I just had to pull the Washington Irving version off the shelf and start reading it to her. So, this little literary gem has now come full circle in my own personal history......life is sweet.

(on a side note, I have watched the Tim Burton film, "Sleepy Hollow" and I must say it is best taken as an adjunct to the story, as it is so very different. The cinematography and art direction are excellent, it is a visually stunning film, but it certainly cannot be mistaken for a film version of "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow") ( )
  Equestrienne | Jan 5, 2021 |

Audible tells me that the audiobook version of this short story lasted only seventy-five minutes but it felt like soooo much longer than that.

I listened politely to the entire thing, waiting attentively for something that would make this two-hundred-year-old story worth listening to. I waited in vain.

If humour is in the ear of the listener, then all I heard was smug disdain, delivered in over-worked prose that had neither comic timing nor dramatic pacing.

This was a story that seemed to be saying to the reader, 'Look how quaint and odd these country folk are! Look particularly at this poorly favoured teacher and join me in laughing at his greed for food, his delusional assessment of his marital prospects, his absurd physical appearance, and his gullibility.'

I'll pass, thanks.

The main thing I'll take away from reading this short story is the image of American Lit courses as ventilators keeping fiction alive that ought to have been allowed to die a dignified natural death long ago.
  MikeFinnFiction | Oct 28, 2020 |
Although the frightening parts are limited to the last part of the story, it is still a wonderfully fun autumn read. Each sentence is full of deliciously descriptive wording and to make certain I didn't miss out on any of the phrasing, I decided to read along via a text copy on.Project Gutenberg. (Some readers gave it a lower rating due to the detailed writing but that actually made me appreciate the short story even more.) The audio narration by Tom Mison is excellent and I'm sure I will listen to this audiobook again in the future. ( )
  This-n-That | Oct 23, 2020 |
It's whats to be expected. I didnt particularly enjoy this book but I didn't hate it either. Some parts were exciting and some parts were boring - the descriptions of places, etc. were like.. blah blah blah, I really hate when books go into super description of places, etc. but the ending picked up and I really enjoyed that. I've seen the movie, etc. but had never read the book before, first time for everything ! ( )
  ashezbookz | Oct 20, 2020 |

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Era una terra amabile di teste
al sonno arrendevoli,
di sogni fluttuanti dinnanzi
alle ciglia abbassate;
di allegri castelli arroccati
nelle nubi fuggevoli,
che senza sosta s'involano
nel cielo d'estate.
CASTLE OF INDOLENCE
In the bosom of one of those spacious coves which indent the eastern shore of the Hudson, at the broad expansion of the river denominated by the ancient Dutch navigators the Tappan Zee, and where they always prudently shortened sail, and implored the protection of St. Nicholas when they crossed, there lies a small market town or rural port, which by some is called Greensburgh, but which is more generally and properly known by the name of Tarry Town.
This is the main work for The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving. It should not be combined with any larger collection, adaptation, etc.
Do Not Combine: This is a "Norton Critical Edition", it is a unique work with significant added material, including essays and background materials. Do not combine with other editions of the work.

Please maintain the phrase "Norton Critical Edition" in the Canonical Title and Series fields.

Tom Mison, star of the hit Fox series Sleepy Hollow, narrates the classic Washington Irving short story.
In the secluded Dutch territory of Sleepy Hollow, nebbish schoolmaster Ichabod Crane competes with the town hero for the hand of Katrina Van Tassel, the 18-year-old daughter and sole child of a wealthy farmer. As Crane leaves a party at the Van Tassel's farm one autumn evening, he is pursued by the Headless Horseman, an apparition said to be the ghost of a Hessian trooper snuffed out by a stray cannonball during the Revolutionary War.
One of the most popular pieces of American fiction is Washington Irving’s “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow,” originally published in 1820 in Irving’s short story collection The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon, Gent. Set in New York’s Hudson River valley after the American Revolution, it is rich with Dutch culture, regional history, and ghost stories. In schoolmaster Ichabod Crane and his adversary the Headless Horseman, Irving created two of the most unforgettable characters in American literature.

This short work is part of Applewood’s “American Roots,” series, tactile mementos of American passions by some of America’s most famous writers and thinkers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,451,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible