The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington…

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

by Washington Irving

Having seen the movie, one I've seen over and over again, I wanted to read the story it was based upon. I'm quite disappointed in it.

Apart from being excessively wordy, I was surprised it was more about Ichabod's and Brom's courtship of the flirtatious, thoughtless airhead that was Katrina Van Tassel. Ichabod's pursuit of her appeared purely shallow, admiring her beauty and salivating at the prospect of inheriting her father's money.

The competition between the two men led to the creation of the legend of the Hessian Headless Horseman by Brom and the pumpkin scene which appears in both book and movie which successfully scares off Ichabod, the local schoolteacher, who disappears and later resurfaces as a lawyer in another part of the country. Brom wins Katrina and smiles whenever Ichabod's name is mentioned. The End.

I disliked these characters and the only part of the writing I enjoyed was the gothic description of Sleepy Hollow itself and it's influence on the minds of its inhabitants. I'll be sticking with Tim Burton's movie. It truly took the best parts of story and made it dark and creepy, as well as making Ichabod funny and loveable, Katrina innocent and virtuous and Brom less of an asshole. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 22, 2014 |
Classic ghost story of Ichabod Crane and the Galloping Hessian, otherwise known as the Headless Horseman. Just about everyone is familiar with the story, so I won't go into details here.

The narration by Tom Mison was very good. He simply has the right voice for reading this classic. ( )
  ssimon2000 | Sep 12, 2014 |
This story gave me nightmares as a child. I would only tell this story to older kids and adults. Own a copy.
  BeckyPugh | Jul 21, 2014 |
This was the first time reading this tale of mystery and humor. I love Washibgton Irving's characters, but this story was just so-so. ( )
  hemlokgang | Jul 10, 2014 |
My childhood New England in Irving's nutshell. ( )
  schmicker | Apr 19, 2014 |

Washington Irvingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fox, Austin McC.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grimly, GrisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heald, AnthonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rackham, ArthurIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Norwegian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
In the bosom of one of those spacious coves which indent the eastern shore of the Hudson, at the broad expansion of the river denominated by the ancient Dutch navigators the Tappan Zee, and where they always prudently shortened sail, and implored the protection of St. Nicholas when they crossed, there lies a small market town or rural port, which by some is called Greensburgh, but which is more generally and properly known by the name of Tarry Town.
This is the main work for The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving. It should not be combined with any larger collection, adaptation, etc.

AR 11.0, Pts 3.0

The chief part of the stories, however, turned upon the favorite specter of Sleepy Hollow, the Headless Horseman, who had been heard several times of late, patrolling the country; and, it was said, tethered his horse nightly among the graves in the churchyard. The story was immediately matched by a thrice marvelous adventure of Brom Bones, who made light of the Galloping Hessian as an arrant jockey. He affirmed that on returning one night from the neighboring village of Sing Sing, he had been overtaken by this midnight trooper; that he had offered to race with him for a bowl of punch, and should have won it too, for Daredevil beat the goblin horse all hollow, but just as they came to the church bridge, the Hessian bolted, and vanished in a flash of fire. All these tales, told in that drowsy undertone with which men talk in the dark, the countenances of the listeners only now and then receiving a casual gleam from the glare of a pipe, sank deep in the mind of Ichabod. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:36 -0400)

A superstitious schoolmaster, in love with a wealthy farmer's daughter, has a terrifying encounter with a headless horseman.

Twelve editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,817,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible