The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington…

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

by Washington Irving

Tom Mison, who plays Ichabod Crane in the TV show I follow, reads the story of the unfortunate schoolmaster in the kind and tongue-in-cheek manner that Irving wrote it. ( )
  Coach_of_Alva | Nov 1, 2015 |
This is a book that my sister and my four-year-old niece rather enjoyed but even though I am into the tall tales or early folk tales I just couldn't get into this particular one. Maybe I should have read this before "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" became one of those known throughout society in all its formats thus ensuring the plot was well given away before you even had a chance to read it.

The author certainly does have a way of words and more or less ends up using them to fatten the book. He puts more efforts of describing a set table or the landscape about so that you aren't sure to be lost. If it wasn't for these lengthy discourses then we should surely not have this particular book to read.

And it is sad to say that with such descriptions that he couldn't make his characters even better than what they were. Ichabod Crane whom so many praise as a hapless superstitious hero is a jerk past a jerk while the fair Katrina is truly not so fair. Instead as with most feminine portrayals of the time she tends to lean towards the coy hellcat instead of the virtuous daughter who stays out of trouble although both women are compared side by side.

Then when it finally came down to that last chase Gunpowder let you down. He was suppose to have the Devil in his eye but instead ran from such a fiend whose headless state couldn't be recognized until he topped a hill. Really?

Finally the ending after that despairing chase was a big letdown. No I won't spoil it but to go to such lengths since a fellow had vanished wouldn't have been too much. Then again it just may be what is done in those nice sheltered green harbors that the Dutch call home back in those far off hollows where fiends and goblins and witches dance before the masterful eye of the Headless Hessian. ( )
  flamingrosedrakon | Aug 25, 2015 |
Old books are like old people. A little fragile, a little faded, and perhaps about to fall apart, and yet having stories within which can still captivate, stories which have been poured out to others before you’ve come along to hold the very same pages, and which may pour out to others when you’re gone.

Perhaps it’s only when one feels one’s own mortality that one feels this way, but is there any better symbol of the best of humanity passing down its history, knowledge, and culture from generation to generation, than a book? And of all books, any better representative of this than one which is old, having been in the library of unknown others before coming into one’s own?

I found a connection not only to Northeastern America in the 18th century while reading ‘The Legend of Sleepy Hollow’, but also to the fellow book lover who clipped the poem “Life or Death” by feminist/anarchist writer Voltairne de Cleyre out of the newspaper and included it in these pages for me to find decades later. With a front and back cover in this 1885 edition that appears to be alligator leather beginning to crack in places, and with the silk strings that bind the book together having been mostly snapped with age, it needed to be handled very carefully.

Inside, however, I found Irving’s language beautiful, his characters iconic, and his story memorable. It’s really no wonder it’s been adapted in so many forms since 1820, and is a favorite at Halloween time. It’s the perfect short story, absolutely brilliant. The illustrations provided nice touches, particularly of the lovely Katrina van Tassel. ‘The Spectre Bridegroom’ was also included here and a teeny little less successful, but quite enjoyable nonetheless, featuring an ancient castle on the Rhine and love at first sight. Ah youth. Who can’t empathize? The mores might have been different (Katrina’s “provokingly short petticoat” displaying “the prettiest foot and ankle in the country round”), and life may have been simpler, but the feelings of love, jealousy, and fear of noises in the dark are the same.

Am I reviewing the book or this edition? Or the beauty of books and humanity in general, having been swept up in some form of mystic reverie? Perhaps all of the above.

Oh, and connection discovered to the last book I read, which was “Good Omens” by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett: Ichabod Crane’s love and mastery of Cotton Mather’s history of New England witchcraft. ( )
4 vote gbill | Mar 15, 2015 |
I read this classic every October. This year I listened to it on audio. I never, never tire of this story. My favorite part is the part where Irving describes the sumptuous farm/kingdom of Baltus Van Tassel, with increasing warm wit, through the ravening eyes of Ichabod. I think of it dearly as Van Tassel Estate Revisited, and always sympathize wholeheartedly with Ichabod's pinings after Old Money, New England style--oh, and Katrina too. ( )
  JMlibrarian | Mar 3, 2015 |
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is a short story about superstitions schoolmaster Ichabod Crane, who lives in the New York countryside in the late 1700s. While the well-known, culminating horseback ride may be the high point of the story, I found the portrayal of life in rural, early America and Ichabod's somewhat comedic character to be just as enjoyable. ( )
1 vote jrissman | Jan 8, 2015 |

Washington Irvingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fox, Austin McC.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grimly, GrisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heald, AnthonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rackham, ArthurIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the bosom of one of those spacious coves which indent the eastern shore of the Hudson, at the broad expansion of the river denominated by the ancient Dutch navigators the Tappan Zee, and where they always prudently shortened sail, and implored the protection of St. Nicholas when they crossed, there lies a small market town or rural port, which by some is called Greensburgh, but which is more generally and properly known by the name of Tarry Town.
This is the main work for The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving. It should not be combined with any larger collection, adaptation, etc.

AR 11.0, Pts 3.0

The chief part of the stories, however, turned upon the favorite specter of Sleepy Hollow, the Headless Horseman, who had been heard several times of late, patrolling the country; and, it was said, tethered his horse nightly among the graves in the churchyard. The story was immediately matched by a thrice marvelous adventure of Brom Bones, who made light of the Galloping Hessian as an arrant jockey. He affirmed that on returning one night from the neighboring village of Sing Sing, he had been overtaken by this midnight trooper; that he had offered to race with him for a bowl of punch, and should have won it too, for Daredevil beat the goblin horse all hollow, but just as they came to the church bridge, the Hessian bolted, and vanished in a flash of fire. All these tales, told in that drowsy undertone with which men talk in the dark, the countenances of the listeners only now and then receiving a casual gleam from the glare of a pipe, sank deep in the mind of Ichabod. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:28 -0400)

A superstitious schoolmaster, in love with a wealthy farmer's daughter, has a terrifying encounter with a headless horseman.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,851,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible