The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington…

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

by Washington Irving

I think this story is pretty entertaining. I like the open-ended mystery of it all. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
I'm doing my yearly listen to this wonderful narration of Irving's classic tale of humor and horror.

“He was tall, but exceedingly lank, with narrow shoulders, long arms and legs, hands that dangled a mile out of his sleeves, feet that might have served for shovels, and his whole frame most loosely hung together. His head was small, and flat at top, with huge ears, large green glassy eyes, and a long snipe nose, so that it looked like a weather-cock perched upon his spindle neck to tell which way the wind blew. To see him striding along the profile of a hill on a windy day, with his clothes bagging and fluttering about him, one might have mistaken him for the genius of famine descending upon the earth, or some scarecrow eloped from a cornfield.”

This is my third time through, and it is just as wonderful as the first time I listened. Actually, it might even be more wonderful, because it has taken on that patina that only the best and most comforting of reads ever acquires!

The rest of this review is from 2014, the first time I listened to The Legend of Sleepy Hollow!

Yes, that is Tom Mison, who plays Ichabod Crane in Sleepy Hollow - one of my absolute favorite television shows.

Several weeks ago, someone pointed me in the direction of a free audible version of Washington Irving's classic short story, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (title links to audible page), brilliantly read by Tom Mison.

I had a chance to actually listen to the story on Friday, when I had a several hour drive to pick up my daughter at college and bring her home for the weekend. I am not sure that I had ever actually read this classic story, although I do remember seeing a play that had been adapted from the story.

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is a fantastic listen, with its arcane and beautiful language, read in Mison's buttery British voice. If you are a fan of the show, there is an enhancement in hearing him, with his agile and gorgeous voice, doing the reading (it always amazing to me how much a good narrator adds to the experience of listening to a story).

This isn't horror, though. It is gently comedic slice of American life stuff - the narrator tells the story of Ichabod Crane, gangling school-master and social climber, humorously, making a bit of fun of him. There are meditations on geography, local ghost stories, farming, teaching, women, and, most of all, food. Ichabod is more than a little obsessed with filling his belly, so the discussions of pie and cake are seemingly endless. The end is amusing, and just vague enough to make one wonder.

I loved it. My daughter - who was riding with me - was less amused, taking the position that out of the one hour and fifteen minute story, the last five minutes was the only part that really mattered. Of course, she spent most of the ride texting a new boy with whom she is smitten, and she doesn't really like pie, so who asked her anyway?

It is only an hour and fifteen minutes long, and (at the time I bought it) was totally free on audible. I found it completely delightful. ( )
  moonlight_reads | Dec 11, 2016 |
A lot funnier than I was anticipating. ( )
  FionaLiddle | Nov 1, 2016 |
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle are classics, and pretty awesome! The rest of this collection is fairly uneven, and not so awesome. Still, it's hard to complain too much about a book that contains two "immortal classics"! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Oct 20, 2016 |

Washington Irvingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Arthur RackhamIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fox, Austin McC.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grimly, GrisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heald, AnthonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rackham, ArthurIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the bosom of one of those spacious coves which indent the eastern shore of the Hudson, at the broad expansion of the river denominated by the ancient Dutch navigators the Tappan Zee, and where they always prudently shortened sail, and implored the protection of St. Nicholas when they crossed, there lies a small market town or rural port, which by some is called Greensburgh, but which is more generally and properly known by the name of Tarry Town.
This is the main work for The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving. It should not be combined with any larger collection, adaptation, etc.

AR 11.0, Pts 3.0
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow: Special Church Edition features a new version of America’s favorite Halloween tale. This edition not only streamlines Washington Irving’s original story, but it also provides Christian insights and discussion questions by Stephen Skelton.

Now, ride with Ichabod Crane and the Headless Horseman—and find out just how fully their midnight race through Sleepy Hollow was guided by the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Plus, four discussion sections cover the questions Christians usually ask about Halloween. “Did Halloween start as a pagan celebration?” “Is Halloween celebrated as a Satanic holiday today?”
“Why is the focus of Halloween so dark?” And, “What should a Christian do on Halloween?”

The Media Center owns a Certificate of License for this book so that you may make copies for everyone in your group.

The chief part of the stories, however, turned upon the favorite specter of Sleepy Hollow, the Headless Horseman, who had been heard several times of late, patrolling the country; and, it was said, tethered his horse nightly among the graves in the churchyard. The story was immediately matched by a thrice marvelous adventure of Brom Bones, who made light of the Galloping Hessian as an arrant jockey. He affirmed that on returning one night from the neighboring village of Sing Sing, he had been overtaken by this midnight trooper; that he had offered to race with him for a bowl of punch, and should have won it too, for Daredevil beat the goblin horse all hollow, but just as they came to the church bridge, the Hessian bolted, and vanished in a flash of fire. All these tales, told in that drowsy undertone with which men talk in the dark, the countenances of the listeners only now and then receiving a casual gleam from the glare of a pipe, sank deep in the mind of Ichabod. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:28 -0400)

A superstitious schoolmaster, in love with a wealthy farmer's daughter, has a terrifying encounter with a headless horseman.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,277,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible