The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington…

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

by Washington Irving

2,205702,944 (3.68)128

I've heard several tellings and re-tellings of this famous story, but reading the original was quite a treat. It's one of those books that I SWEAR I read at some point, but I'm never really sure because I've heard the story so many times, it's just ingrained in my brain. This is a great story! If you haven't read it, it's super short, you should definitely give it a try! ( )
  pennylane78 | Jun 6, 2016 |
Review: The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving.

Washington Irving was a great story-teller and this one flowed like a warm autumn breeze. The tale was simple and nod really scary but was delightful in its humor and wit and charming descriptive characters. In the story he created his observations on life and living and left the afterlife for his readers to consider the circumstances of a means to an end.

The setting is in the late eighteen century in a small town in New York called, Sleepy Hollow. The main character is Ichabod Crane who is a school teacher from Connecticut moves to Sleepy Hollow seeking work and ends up being a tutor going home to home to teach. Ichabod has heard of the town’s legend of a “Headless Horseman”, said to be a Hessian soldier who lost his head to a cannon ball in the war and who rides through the woods at night and attacks people but Ichabod leaves the belief to the towns-people.

He has an eighteen-year-old student, Katrina Van Tassel, who comes from a wealthy family that he becomes fascinated with only having visions of marring her for her money. However, Katrina has a boyfriend, Abraham Brut an arrogant egotistic person, nicked-named “Brom Bones” who has other plans for Ichabod. As tension becomes between the two men Ichabod still tries to win Katrina for himself until a breathtaking surprise appears by the town’s legend created as mysterious as it was told.

Even though Ichabod was sent away form the Van Tassel Manor at one time, days later he was invited to a dance at the Manor only to be rejected once again and decides to head home. It is then that he runs across the notorious supernatural figure that the entire county discusses. He meets the Headless Horseman. The tale goes on for the reader but not knowing whether the horseman truly does spirit away the teacher or whether Ichabod flees on his on away from Sleepy Hollow for good is not known. The only thing known was the towns-people found Ichabod’s hat and a shattered pumpkin beside the towns brook on a path that Ichabod would have taken…
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
Summary:
This is the tale of Icahbod Crane who meets the Headless Horseman on a bridge one night. Icahbod is never seen after this fateful night's meeting. It is thought that he has possibly run off or that something more in the supernatural realm has happened to him.

Personal Reflection:
I remember hearing this as a kid and watching a cartoon of it. When I saw it on the Poetry shelf, I had to read it!

Classroom Extensions:
Let the students write their own legends and/or poetry.
  robinkluth1980 | Apr 21, 2016 |
an old favourite from childhood, Disney version and all
  frahealee | Apr 3, 2016 |
Well if I am honest about this, I felt predisposed to like Sleepy Hollow; it is wonderfully and genuinely of its time and place, with the era and location certainly having a romantic draw for me.
The story also evokes a very definite atmosphere and I think I read this at the right time of year, just two days before Hallowe’en.
But for such a slim text it takes a great deal of time to get to the crux of the story; around 80% of the book is taken up with introducing the characters and landscape where the action is to take place. This is all very important, but once the action has occurred the story simply ends. Now, it is a very strong ending but following such a great lead up to the ‘terrible events’ described I expected a great and slow finish rather than just a two-page epilogue.
But I did still love it!
  stevierbrown | Mar 22, 2016 |

Washington Irvingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Arthur RackhamIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fox, Austin McC.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grimly, GrisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heald, AnthonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rackham, ArthurIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the bosom of one of those spacious coves which indent the eastern shore of the Hudson, at the broad expansion of the river denominated by the ancient Dutch navigators the Tappan Zee, and where they always prudently shortened sail, and implored the protection of St. Nicholas when they crossed, there lies a small market town or rural port, which by some is called Greensburgh, but which is more generally and properly known by the name of Tarry Town.
This is the main work for The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving. It should not be combined with any larger collection, adaptation, etc.

AR 11.0, Pts 3.0

The chief part of the stories, however, turned upon the favorite specter of Sleepy Hollow, the Headless Horseman, who had been heard several times of late, patrolling the country; and, it was said, tethered his horse nightly among the graves in the churchyard. The story was immediately matched by a thrice marvelous adventure of Brom Bones, who made light of the Galloping Hessian as an arrant jockey. He affirmed that on returning one night from the neighboring village of Sing Sing, he had been overtaken by this midnight trooper; that he had offered to race with him for a bowl of punch, and should have won it too, for Daredevil beat the goblin horse all hollow, but just as they came to the church bridge, the Hessian bolted, and vanished in a flash of fire. All these tales, told in that drowsy undertone with which men talk in the dark, the countenances of the listeners only now and then receiving a casual gleam from the glare of a pipe, sank deep in the mind of Ichabod. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:28 -0400)

A superstitious schoolmaster, in love with a wealthy farmer's daughter, has a terrifying encounter with a headless horseman.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,870,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible