Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Little Women (1868)

by Louisa May Alcott

Series: Little Women (1)

12,489196302 (4.11)1574
My TBR (8)
1860s (2)

English (176)  Spanish (10)  French (2)  Finnish (2)  Italian (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (196)
Somewhat entertaining read. I did get a little weary of the repeated moral preaching by adults. ( )
  fuzzi | Feb 8, 2019 |
Engrossing, tender, real and heart warming even in the trauma of life. The first part flowed and I could not put it down. Part two, not so much. At times it read like a different author but still well above average. Easy to see why it is an enduring classic! ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
The classic tale of the March sisters--Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy. It's a coming-of-age tale in many ways as the girls grow up and most find love. Marmee imparts wisdom when her daughters seek it. The neighboring Laurance family, particularly Laurie, plays an important role in the book. Jo begins her career as a writer. This classic never fails to make me cry. Even though I know it is coming, I never want Beth to die. ( )
  thornton37814 | Feb 5, 2019 |
Svenska: Unga kvinnor
  helenaferry | Jan 18, 2019 |
I was given this book when I was a child by my aunt. I absolutely hated it. If I had been a boy, I would have received something like Jules Verne, Gulliver's Travels or The treasure Island. Instead I had to settle for this crap and similar books about nice proper idle stupid girls. No wonder I hated being a girl. I still do. To be precise, now I hate being a woman. ( )
  csmartinsp | Nov 23, 2018 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Go then, my little Book, and show all that entertain, and bid thee welcome shall, what thou dost keep close shut up in thy breast; and wish that thou dost show them may be blest to them for good, may make them choose to be pilgrims better, by far, than thee or me.
Tell them of Mercy; she is one who early hath her pilgrimage begun. Yea, let young damsels learn of her to prize the world which is to come, and so be wise; for little tripping maids may follow God along the ways which saintly feet have trod. - adapted from John Bunyan
“Christmas won't be Christmas without any presents,” grumbled Jo, lying on the rug.
...for love casts out fear, and gratitude can conquer pride. (p75)
You have a good many little gifts and virtues, but there is no need of parading them, for conceit spoils the finest genius. There is not much danger that real talent or goodness will be overlooked long; even if it is, the consciousness of possessing and using it well should satisfy one, and the great charm of all power is modesty. (p82)
Learn to know and value the praise which is worth having, and to excite the admiration of excellent people, by being modest as well as pretty. (p110)
Money is a needful and precious thing, - and, when well used, a noble thing, - but I never want you to think it is the first and only prize to strive for. (p111)
I am not afraid of storms for I am learning to sail my ship.
This is the original, Part One, of Little Women that does NOT include the subsequently published Part Two (sometimes published separately as Good Wives). Please do not combine editions of Little Women that contain Part Two, or abridgments, adaptations, movie versions, or the like.

This is a heart-warming story about the four lively March sisters; Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy. It tells of their adventures and struggles while growing up in the 19th century civil war era. This is a story of love, heart-ache, triumph and family. Although the four girls have very different personalities, they help each other grow as they experience life's challenges.
Four different sisters
learn to overcome their faults.
They learn about love. (marcusbrutus)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451529308, Mass Market Paperback)

In picturesque nineteenth-century New England, tomboyish Jo, beautiful Meg, fragile Beth, and romantic Amy come of age while their father is off to war.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:15 -0400)

Este ebook presenta "Mujercitas", con un indice dinmico y detallado. Es la novela parcialmente autobiogrfica escrita por Louisa May Alcott y publicada en 1868. Trata la vida de cuatro ni?as que se convierten en mujeres con la Guerra Civil en los Estados Unidos como fondo, entre 1861 y 1865. La talentosa Jo, la hermosa Meg, la tmida Beth y la temperamental Amy luchan diarimente con la pobreza y no pierden el espritu y la esperanza. Destinada principalmente al publico juvenil, puede considerarse en parte autobiogrfica de la ni?ez de su autora en Nueva Inglaterra. Vida familiar, relaciones fraternas y lealtad son los temas centrales de esta obra. Louise M. Alcott (1832-1888), escritora estadounidense, cuyos libros juveniles se caracterizan por su descripcin intimista de la vida y la lealtad familiar. Hija del educador y filsofo Bronson Alcott, naci en Germantown, Pensilvania.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0143105019, 0141321083, 0141331747

Tantor Media

3 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101255, 1400108608, 1400119227

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,487,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible