Little women; or, Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy by…

Little women; or, Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy (original 1868; edition 1939)

by Louisa May Alcott

Member:ablachly
Title:Little women; or, Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy
Authors:Louisa May Alcott
Info:Boston, Little, Brown, 1939 [c1915] 397 p. illus. 22 cm.
Collections:Your library, Jasper's Books
Tags:fiction, children's

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (1868)

1860s (2)

English (152)  Spanish (8)  French (2)  Finnish (2)  Italian (2)  German (1)  All (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All (170)
I almost did not finish this book. I found it the storytelling a little too whimsical and old fashioned. However, I made myself finish the book by reading a chapter a day. Once I got into the rhythm of reading only a chapter a day I found myself liking the Little Marches. This is definitely not my genre of books, but I am glad I finished it.

This book is about four young sisters, Meg, Jo, Amy and Beth. They are not rich in money but they are rich in love and happiness. Their mother and father have provided everything they could, but mainly taught them to be kind, generous and caring women. They each take their own path and find happiness.

I want to watch the movie now! ( )
  MinDea | Mar 7, 2017 |
A story of a poor family as they grow up they find love, and go on adventures. Many characters to love, but you will definitely be caught up reading this great classic. ( )
  hermione8665 | Feb 17, 2017 |
perché siamo state tutte piccole donne! ( )
  cloentrelibros | Aug 23, 2016 |
I've seen a couple of movie versions but never actually read the book, so here we go... ( )
  Vinculus | Jul 20, 2016 |
This is the first book I every read and I loved it. It is the tale of four sisters as they move from childhood to adulthood. ( )
  vilmarietl | Jul 16, 2016 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Go then, my little Book, and show all that entertain, and bid thee welcome shall, what thou dost keep close shut up in thy breast; and wish that thou dost show them may be blest to them for good, may make them choose to be pilgrims better, by far, than thee or me.
Tell them of Mercy; she is one who early hath her pilgrimage begun. Yea, let young damsels learn of her to prize the world which is to come, and so be wise; for little tripping maids may follow God along the ways which saintly feet have trod. - adapted from John Bunyan
“Christmas won't be Christmas without any presents,” grumbled Jo, lying on the rug.
...for love casts out fear, and gratitude can conquer pride. (p75)
You have a good many little gifts and virtues, but there is no need of parading them, for conceit spoils the finest genius. There is not much danger that real talent or goodness will be overlooked long; even if it is, the consciousness of possessing and using it well should satisfy one, and the great charm of all power is modesty. (p82)
Learn to know and value the praise which is worth having, and to excite the admiration of excellent people, by being modest as well as pretty. (p110)
Money is a needful and precious thing, - and, when well used, a noble thing, - but I never want you to think it is the first and only prize to strive for. (p111)
I am not afraid of storms for I am learning to sail my ship.
This is the original, Part One, of Little Women that does NOT include the subsequently published Part Two (sometimes published separately as Good Wives). Please do not combine editions of Little Women that contain Part Two, or abridgments, adaptations, movie versions, or the like.

This is a heart-warming story about the four lively March sisters; Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy. It tells of their adventures and struggles while growing up in the 19th century civil war era. This is a story of love, heart-ache, triumph and family. Although the four girls have very different personalities, they help each other grow as they experience life's challenges.
Four different sisters
learn to overcome their faults.
They learn about love. (marcusbrutus)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451529308, Mass Market Paperback)

In picturesque nineteenth-century New England, tomboyish Jo, beautiful Meg, fragile Beth, and romantic Amy come of age while their father is off to war.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:15 -0400)

Chronicles the joys and sorrows of the four March sisters as they grow into young ladies in nineteenth-century New England.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0143105019, 0141321083, 0141331747

Tantor Media

3 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101255, 1400108608, 1400119227

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,235,503 books! | Top bar: Always visible