Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Little Women (original 1868; edition 1868)

by Louisa May Alcott

English (304)  Spanish (5)  French (2)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (317)
Out of the 1000+ books I have read, this is my least favorite. It was a nightmare to finish. I kept deciding I didn't deserve being inflicted with it, then picking it up months later because I didn't want to be defeated. It's taken at least three years. "Moral pap for the young," indeed, except in this case the pap is so old it's spoiled. ( )
  Anoplophora | Oct 26, 2014 |
1.) The story focuses on four loving but very different sisters and what they all go through in their lives while their father is off to war. Jo, Meg, Beth, and Amy are all experiencing different things in life but are still trying to keep the untity in their family. Jo is the tomboy of the family, Meg is the classic beauty, Amy is the hopeless romantic and Beth is the most fragile out of all the sisters. It follows them through their trials and tribulations and of their love interest as well.

2.). I read this book at a very young age because I was huge reader, I am still big on reading and love to reread books because to me it's like watching a movie again. As a kid i liked this book because it gave me a glimpse of a story from a different time and place and adult like situations I had never experienced. Due to getting older I appreciated the book so much more now that I understand things more and had my own life experiences and fell in love with the book more.

3.) Classroom. Ideas would be for older students because of the style of the book and they eiykd have more appreciation for the book more. I would have them get into groups to act out a short selection from the book and follow up with a short essay of which sister is their favorite and why. Do you think you have some of the same personality traits? Is she the opposite of you which is what has drawn you to her? And so on... ( )
  ashpoe | Oct 26, 2014 |
Summary of Book
This is about is about the coming of age story of the March four sisters. The family was once wealthy but has fallen on hard times. The family is democratic and poor but they are a strong family that sticks together. Each sister grows up to follow her own path, including the main character Josephine “Jo”. Jo realizes her dream when she goes against the norm and become a writer.

Personal Reaction
I read the book and saw the movie when I was young. Growing up, during Christmas my girl cousins and sister would always watch the movie together. We would pick the characters that most resembled our personalities. I still watch the movie during Christmas.

Extension Idea
Have a discussion of all the character’s different personalities. Ask students to pick a character from the story that they feel that have something in common. Have each student present the work to the class.
  readcindyread | Oct 24, 2014 |
I hate this book. I hate hate hate hate hate this book. This book is INSIPID. This book makes me feel like I need a trip to the dentist after merely looking at the cover.

I hate this book.

I hate Jo, and her supposed tomboyishness, and the fact that she is the most flat, and dull, and stupid character I've ever come across. I hate Amy, because she's a vapid idiot who contributes nothing to the story. I hate Meg, even though I don't remember anything about her. I HATE Beth more than them all combined because she is so holy-holy, and meek, and perfect, and then she goes and dies (except in the versions where she doesn't) and everyone loves her even MORE afterwards.

Excuse me while I retch.

Why must this book be so vomitous? It even starts off in this fashion - let us give our dinner to the poor, because we are so wonderful! Fuck off. Just... fuck off. If there was ever such a saintly family, I hope I never meet them. My boyfriend's diabetic and we must watch his blood sugar levels... ( )
1 vote humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
Went to this for a "comfort read" in place of my usual P&P... had not remembered/realized how sanctimonious this book is ( )
  akh3966 | Oct 9, 2014 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Go then, my little Book, and show all that entertain, and bid thee welcome shall, what thou dost keep close shut up in thy breast; and wish that thou dost show them may be blest to them for good, may make them choose to be pilgrims better, by far, than thee or me.
Tell them of Mercy; she is one who early hath her pilgrimage begun. Yea, let young damsels learn of her to prize the world which is to come, and so be wise; for little tripping maids may follow God along the ways which saintly feet have trod. - adapted from John Bunyan
“Christmas won't be Christmas without any presents,” grumbled Jo, lying on the rug.
...for love casts out fear, and gratitude can conquer pride. (p75)
You have a good many little gifts and virtues, but there is no need of parading them, for conceit spoils the finest genius. There is not much danger that real talent or goodness will be overlooked long; even if it is, the consciousness of possessing and using it well should satisfy one, and the great charm of all power is modesty. (p82)
Learn to know and value the praise which is worth having, and to excite the admiration of excellent people, by being modest as well as pretty. (p110)
Money is a needful and precious thing, - and, when well used, a noble thing, - but I never want you to think it is the first and only prize to strive for. (p111)
Between Meg and Marmee:

"He's away all day, and at night when I want to see him, he is continually going over to the Scotts'. It isn't fair that I should have the hardest work, and never any amusement. Men are very selfish, even the best of them."
"So are women. Don't blame John till you see where you are wrong yourself." (Chapter 38, Gutenberg.org edition)
This is the main work for Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, omnibus containing additional works, etc.
ISBN 1613823444 is a Simon and Brown edition of Little Women.

This is a heart-warming story about the four lively March sisters; Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy. It tells of their adventures and struggles while growing up in the 19th century civil war era. This is a story of love, heart-ache, triumph and family. Although the four girls have very different personalities, they help each other grow as they experience life's challenges.

I particularly like this book because of the close bond between the four sisters. They seem to balance each other out and the love they have for each other and their "Marmee" seems very genuine. This book has been a favorite of mine since I read it and acted in a play version of it as one of the main characters, Beth.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451529308, Mass Market Paperback)

In picturesque nineteenth-century New England, tomboyish Jo, beautiful Meg, fragile Beth, and romantic Amy come of age while their father is off to war.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:17 -0400)

Chronicles the joys and sorrows of the four March sisters as they grow into young ladies in nineteenth-century New England.

5 1957

Five editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0143105019, 0141321083, 0141331747, 0451532082, 0143106651

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,487,861 books! | Top bar: Always visible