Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Little Women (original 1868; edition 1868)

by Louisa May Alcott

English (330)  Spanish (5)  French (2)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (343)
Now this is a book which I first read back in middle school and I do believe I reread at least twice since then. I picked up a used hardcover copy a few years back at one of my local libraries for $0.25 (it's gorgeous and I love it) but until this past week I haven't stopped to reread this delightful little tome. The story centers on the March family which consists of Marmee (Mother), Father (away at the war at the beginning), Meg (eldest), Jo, Beth, and Amy (youngest). Each of the characters has a distinct (and at times rather exaggerated) personality. From the outset, it is clear that the reader is meant to favor Jo. Her character is the most fleshed out and tangible. She is outspoken and her biggest regret is that they weren't all born as boys. They are a close knit family group that is rounded out by their housekeeper and their neighbors next door who consist of a boy Jo's age and his grandfather. The story runs from their childhood into their adulthood and covers everything from petty sibling arguments to childbirth to death. Louisa May Alcott continued the series with Little Men and Jo's Boys which are excellent reads but not as great as Little Women in my opinion. The book was adapted to film in 1995 and included such actors as Winona Ryder, Claire Danes, Kirsten Dunst, Susan Sarandon, and Christian Bale. The script stayed pretty close to the storyline of the book but I found the casting of some of the characters to be a bit off. For example, I think that the girl who played Meg would have done better as Beth and Christian Bale was not AT ALL what I pictured as Laurie. Otherwise, it was alright but if I had seen it first I don't think I would have been inspired to read the novel that it was adapted from. ( )
  AliceaP | Sep 18, 2015 |
I made it through 150 pages of this story and just had to let go. That's what you do when you have 100s of books you want to read and you're in the middle of one that feels like your sitting down to do homework. I just couldn't relate. I love historical fiction, but apparently I don't love historical authors.
  valorrmac | Aug 19, 2015 |
Hardcover, dust jacket
  EllenBeu | Aug 10, 2015 |
It was a somewhat awkward read. It reminds me of Spyri's Heidi in its twee, sentimental tone. I also find the mock humility/thriftiness of wealthy families in older fiction rather grating. However, in between the preparing-girls-for-marriage-and-babies obsession in the book, I was pleased to see the character of Jo, who managed to have her own career and refused to marry for the sake of it. I imagine this was quite controversial in the mid-1800s. ( )
  martensgirl | Jun 23, 2015 |
I really want to say "I tried!" I really do.
Maybe I'll try again some time in the future -- like when I'm 80.

I just don't care. I'm not feeling it.

I read the first chapter ... I may have read the 2nd chapter.
I *REALLY* wanted to love this book! I really did!

Maybe it could be argued that if I hadn't read the Introduction, where the book and themes are explained in a "Literary" sense -- think "English Majors love this stuff!" -- I would have been able to enjoy the book ... But it's too late to say "Maybe" because I did read the Introduction and I really enjoyed that part of the book!

Immediately off the bat, what I didn't like about what I read of the book was the forced martyrdom the girls lived ... "Oo we have too much compared to everyone else, let's not do Christmas this year and give away our dinner and the little money we had for presents because wouldn't that be awesome!! We're so awesome!! We gave away everything and have nothing left for ourselves!"

Adrianne ( )

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is replied to in

Has as a student's study guide

Go then, my little Book, and show all that entertain, and bid thee welcome shall, what thou dost keep close shut up in thy breast; and wish that thou dost show them may be blest to them for good, may make them choose to be pilgrims better, by far, than thee or me.
Tell them of Mercy; she is one who early hath her pilgrimage begun. Yea, let young damsels learn of her to prize the world which is to come, and so be wise; for little tripping maids may follow God along the ways which saintly feet have trod. - adapted from John Bunyan
“Christmas won't be Christmas without any presents,” grumbled Jo, lying on the rug.
...for love casts out fear, and gratitude can conquer pride. (p75)
You have a good many little gifts and virtues, but there is no need of parading them, for conceit spoils the finest genius. There is not much danger that real talent or goodness will be overlooked long; even if it is, the consciousness of possessing and using it well should satisfy one, and the great charm of all power is modesty. (p82)
Learn to know and value the praise which is worth having, and to excite the admiration of excellent people, by being modest as well as pretty. (p110)
Money is a needful and precious thing, - and, when well used, a noble thing, - but I never want you to think it is the first and only prize to strive for. (p111)
Between Meg and Marmee:

"He's away all day, and at night when I want to see him, he is continually going over to the Scotts'. It isn't fair that I should have the hardest work, and never any amusement. Men are very selfish, even the best of them."
"So are women. Don't blame John till you see where you are wrong yourself." (Chapter 38, Gutenberg.org edition)
This is the main work for Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, omnibus containing additional works, etc.
This is the original Little Women that does NOT include the sequel Good Wives. Please do not combine editions of Little Women that contain the sequel.
ISBN 1613823444 is a Simon and Brown edition of Little Women.

This is a heart-warming story about the four lively March sisters; Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy. It tells of their adventures and struggles while growing up in the 19th century civil war era. This is a story of love, heart-ache, triumph and family. Although the four girls have very different personalities, they help each other grow as they experience life's challenges.
Four different sisters
learn to overcome their faults.
They learn about love. (marcusbrutus)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451529308, Mass Market Paperback)

In picturesque nineteenth-century New England, tomboyish Jo, beautiful Meg, fragile Beth, and romantic Amy come of age while their father is off to war.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:15 -0400)

Chronicles the joys and sorrows of the four March sisters as they grow into young ladies in nineteenth-century New England.

5 2064

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0143105019, 0141321083, 0141331747, 0451532082, 0143106651

Tantor Media

3 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101255, 1400108608, 1400119227

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,757,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible