Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Little Women (original 1868; edition 2004)

by Louisa May Alcott, Susan Straight (Afterword)

Member:fuzzi
Title:Little Women
Authors:Louisa May Alcott
Other authors:Susan Straight (Afterword)
Info:Signet Classics (2004), Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Child/Youth Books
Tags:young adult, classic

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (1868)

English (302)  Spanish (5)  French (2)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (315)
I hate this book. I hate hate hate hate hate this book. This book is INSIPID. This book makes me feel like I need a trip to the dentist after merely looking at the cover.

I hate this book.

I hate Jo, and her supposed tomboyishness, and the fact that she is the most flat, and dull, and stupid character I've ever come across. I hate Amy, because she's a vapid idiot who contributes nothing to the story. I hate Meg, even though I don't remember anything about her. I HATE Beth more than them all combined because she is so holy-holy, and meek, and perfect, and then she goes and dies (except in the versions where she doesn't) and everyone loves her even MORE afterwards.

Excuse me while I retch.

Why must this book be so vomitous? It even starts off in this fashion - let us give our dinner to the poor, because we are so wonderful! Fuck off. Just... fuck off. If there was ever such a saintly family, I hope I never meet them. My boyfriend's diabetic and we must watch his blood sugar levels... ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
Went to this for a "comfort read" in place of my usual P&P... had not remembered/realized how sanctimonious this book is ( )
  akh3966 | Oct 9, 2014 |
I loved this book. I had tried reading it back in high school and didn't get past the first or second chapter. This time around, I couldn't put it down. I cried when Beth died even though I knew from watching the movie that she dies.

It's clear why this is such a classic novel. I only wish that I had read it sooner. ( )
  trishaj | Oct 7, 2014 |
I thought the first book, or part, merited 5 stars. The second segment was not as good. It could have been just as, but even so would have to make do with being as good in a wholly new and different way. Being groundbreaking, imaginative, incredibly adventuresome, of precise timing in terms of not outstaying the welcome, of never putting a foot wrong, all of this, together could have happened only once. This oeuvre is the product of an inspired writer punching above her weight. That's only an assumption, and I will put it to test one day when I'll begin reading Little Men.

But yeah, book 2's MO was simply to move one step ahead and move one, sometimes two steps backward. The major death in Little Women was done in such a way as to satisfy most readers, but disappoint people like me, because what followed thence cheapened the major event. I would have cherished the character that died. Maybe, who knows, on my own deathbed I would have remembered Little Women, and known that death happens in many ways and not only to me. The urge to wrench any atom of happiness from sad occurrences was the letdown of this part. It's more distracting than the preaching.

The resolution between Jo and Laurie and it's aftermath beggared belief. I thought my jaw would drop with Amy's love life. The penny certainly did. It looks like, from my current, alive eyes, that the writer didn't fully know her characters. I think that she doesn't know how true love is kindled and how it's kept alive. Her characters fall in love in the most burlesque ways. But enough of the negatives. Little Women is everything that I wanted to find in other classics. The words which Louisa May Alcott wrought made her name famous forever. She reached out from her historical times and touched our hearts, we who live in a world and read and listen to music in ways not guessable by her. I think she is an author who put pieces of herself in her books. And whenever the Little Women sang and dance and listened to the piano, I think how the author herself liked to do this. ( )
  Jiraiya | Sep 30, 2014 |
For Christmas, I ordered an mp3 player (Library of Classics) that was pre-loaded with 100 works of classic literature in an audio format. Each work is in the public domain and is read by amateurs, so the quality of the presentation is hit or miss. After sampling about a dozen more well-known offerings, I was left to try a number of works with which I was unfamiliar, and this novel, which I knew to be written for a somewhat different target audience.

Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott, is definitely a classic. Many generations of young girls have enjoyed the story of the March family, with its four, distinctly different young ladies, growing up in New England during the years of the American Civil War. While I was a little slow to get into the story, I must confess to finding myself enjoying the work by the time the girls reached an age to leave the family nest.

I can certainly recommend the book to any young reader and even to a broader audience than I had once thought. ( )
  santhony | Sep 18, 2014 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Go then, my little Book, and show all that entertain, and bid thee welcome shall, what thou dost keep close shut up in thy breast; and wish that thou dost show them may be blest to them for good, may make them choose to be pilgrims better, by far, than thee or me.
Tell them of Mercy; she is one who early hath her pilgrimage begun. Yea, let young damsels learn of her to prize the world which is to come, and so be wise; for little tripping maids may follow God along the ways which saintly feet have trod. - adapted from John Bunyan
“Christmas won't be Christmas without any presents,” grumbled Jo, lying on the rug.
...for love casts out fear, and gratitude can conquer pride. (p75)
You have a good many little gifts and virtues, but there is no need of parading them, for conceit spoils the finest genius. There is not much danger that real talent or goodness will be overlooked long; even if it is, the consciousness of possessing and using it well should satisfy one, and the great charm of all power is modesty. (p82)
Learn to know and value the praise which is worth having, and to excite the admiration of excellent people, by being modest as well as pretty. (p110)
Money is a needful and precious thing, - and, when well used, a noble thing, - but I never want you to think it is the first and only prize to strive for. (p111)
Between Meg and Marmee:

"He's away all day, and at night when I want to see him, he is continually going over to the Scotts'. It isn't fair that I should have the hardest work, and never any amusement. Men are very selfish, even the best of them."
"So are women. Don't blame John till you see where you are wrong yourself." (Chapter 38, Gutenberg.org edition)
This is the main work for Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, omnibus containing additional works, etc.
ISBN 1613823444 is a Simon and Brown edition of Little Women.

This is a heart-warming story about the four lively March sisters; Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy. It tells of their adventures and struggles while growing up in the 19th century civil war era. This is a story of love, heart-ache, triumph and family. Although the four girls have very different personalities, they help each other grow as they experience life's challenges.

I particularly like this book because of the close bond between the four sisters. They seem to balance each other out and the love they have for each other and their "Marmee" seems very genuine. This book has been a favorite of mine since I read it and acted in a play version of it as one of the main characters, Beth.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451529308, Mass Market Paperback)

In picturesque nineteenth-century New England, tomboyish Jo, beautiful Meg, fragile Beth, and romantic Amy come of age while their father is off to war.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:17 -0400)

Chronicles the joys and sorrows of the four March sisters as they grow into young ladies in nineteenth-century New England.

5 1954

Five editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0143105019, 0141321083, 0141331747, 0451532082, 0143106651

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,061 books! | Top bar: Always visible