Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Little Women (original 1868; edition 2004)

by Louisa May Alcott, Susan Straight (Afterword)

Member:fuzzi
Title:Little Women
Authors:Louisa May Alcott
Other authors:Susan Straight (Afterword)
Info:Signet Classics (2004), Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:To read, TBR/unowned, Child/Youth Books, Recommended to me
Tags:young adult, classic

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (1868)

1860s (1)

English (365)  Spanish (8)  French (2)  Finnish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  English (1)  English (382)
A classic from my childhood.
Well written and compelling. The importance of the bonds of family, friendships and relationships are themes that are still as relevant today as when Alcott first wrote her story. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Loved it, definitely read it. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
a favorite book must have read it 5x before turning 10 and have read it another 5x since ( )
  katcoviello | Sep 21, 2016 |
The last time I read Little Women was in High School - more than 25 years ago. I was not sure if I would like the book this time around although I remembered liking it a lot back then. I was right.... I did not like the book this time around, I absolutely LOVED it this time around. Since I had forgotten a lot of the story during my many years of absence, I was able to taken in the story from a fresh and new perspective. This time, I listened to the book on audio recording - thanks to AudioBookSync.com for providing a free copy during last year's summer reading program. As an adult, I came to appreciate this story so much more and I value the lessons it teaches about family, friendship, marriage, love, respect, charity, and so much more. This book has many lessons and I was happy to internalize and learn about them all again anew.

I really loved Little Women and I highly recommend it to everyone.

Happy Reading! ( )

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Go then, my little Book, and show all that entertain, and bid thee welcome shall, what thou dost keep close shut up in thy breast; and wish that thou dost show them may be blest to them for good, may make them choose to be pilgrims better, by far, than thee or me.
Tell them of Mercy; she is one who early hath her pilgrimage begun. Yea, let young damsels learn of her to prize the world which is to come, and so be wise; for little tripping maids may follow God along the ways which saintly feet have trod. - adapted from John Bunyan
“Christmas won't be Christmas without any presents,” grumbled Jo, lying on the rug.
...for love casts out fear, and gratitude can conquer pride. (p75)
You have a good many little gifts and virtues, but there is no need of parading them, for conceit spoils the finest genius. There is not much danger that real talent or goodness will be overlooked long; even if it is, the consciousness of possessing and using it well should satisfy one, and the great charm of all power is modesty. (p82)
Learn to know and value the praise which is worth having, and to excite the admiration of excellent people, by being modest as well as pretty. (p110)
Money is a needful and precious thing, - and, when well used, a noble thing, - but I never want you to think it is the first and only prize to strive for. (p111)
Between Meg and Marmee:

"He's away all day, and at night when I want to see him, he is continually going over to the Scotts'. It isn't fair that I should have the hardest work, and never any amusement. Men are very selfish, even the best of them."
"So are women. Don't blame John till you see where you are wrong yourself." (Chapter 38, Gutenberg.org edition)
This is the main work for Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, omnibus containing additional works, etc.
This is the original Little Women that does NOT include the sequel Good Wives. Please do not combine editions of Little Women that contain the sequel.
ISBN 1613823444 is a Simon and Brown edition of Little Women.

This is a heart-warming story about the four lively March sisters; Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy. It tells of their adventures and struggles while growing up in the 19th century civil war era. This is a story of love, heart-ache, triumph and family. Although the four girls have very different personalities, they help each other grow as they experience life's challenges.
Four different sisters
learn to overcome their faults.
They learn about love. (marcusbrutus)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451529308, Mass Market Paperback)

In picturesque nineteenth-century New England, tomboyish Jo, beautiful Meg, fragile Beth, and romantic Amy come of age while their father is off to war.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:15 -0400)

Chronicles the joys and sorrows of the four March sisters as they grow into young ladies in nineteenth-century New England.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0143105019, 0141321083, 0141331747, 0451532082, 0143106651

Tantor Media

3 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101255, 1400108608, 1400119227

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,716,765 books! | Top bar: Always visible