Little Women (Classics Series) by Louisa May…

Little Women (Classics Series) (original 1868; edition 1997)

by Louisa May Alcott, Joe L. Wheeler (Introduction)

Member:dixie_darlin
Title:Little Women (Classics Series)
Authors:Louisa May Alcott
Other authors:Joe L. Wheeler (Introduction)
Info:Focus on the Family Pub (1997), Hardcover, 600 pages

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (1868)

19th century (432) Alcott (103) American (243) American literature (393) children (172) children's (372) children's literature (232) Civil War (322) classic (1,277) Classic Literature (120) classics (983) coming of age (164) ebook (139) family (379) fiction (2,277) historical (109) historical fiction (221) Kindle (106) literature (355) Louisa May Alcott (108) New England (159) novel (276) own (143) read (293) romance (137) sisters (315) to-read (153) women (161) YA (124) young adult (268)

English (290)  Spanish (5)  French (2)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (303)
I can't believe it took me this many years to read this book. And I can't believe it took me months to actually read it. I blame this entirely on the fact that I only read my Kindle when I'm on the train.
But yes, I think every young girl should read this book. Perhaps some people may say it's "dated" in its ideals and morals, but it's a beautiful story of family bonds. The characters are memorable. I'm glad I finally got to read it. ( )
  thereaderscommute | Apr 13, 2014 |
  thereaderscommute | Apr 13, 2014 |
A joy to finally read, after seeing both the 1933 and (the best) 1994 versions of the movie several times. I ate it up, cover to cover. I was glad the novel gave more about the sisters' lives after their marriages than either of the movies did, and while the families were clearly happy, Alcott did not tie up the conclusion with a perfect "not-a-care-in-the-world-and-happily-ever-after" bow. I was so disappointed to confirm how much the Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel film copied directly from Little Women, as far as Jo/Laurie and Anne/Gilbert were concerned, but that's not Little Women's fault, and though I may never be fully reconciled to the way Laurie "switched over" to Amy, I'm still fond of the story in spite of it.

Jo's poem to Beth, toward the end, was one of the most moving pieces of the novel, as were Beth's words to Jo, at the sea: "Jo dear, I'm glad you know it. I've tried to tell you, but I couldn't." Beth, in all of her virtue, was still portrayed as human: a dying, nineteen-year-old girl wondering if her short life has truly amounted to anything. One of my main questions going in was whether or not Alcott had made Beth a flawless, otherworldly angel, and I was pleased that she didn't. ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Apr 10, 2014 |
Why have I just now read this book? I don't know! It was a wonderful and well written story. I couldn't get enough of the entire family. I cried. I laughed. I couldn't put it down, I had to knwo what happen. So glad I finally read it! ( )
1 vote cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Go then, my little Book, and show all that entertain, and bid thee welcome shall, what thou dost keep close shut up in thy breast; and wish that thou dost show them may be blest to them for good, may make them choose to be pilgrims better, by far, than thee or me.
Tell them of Mercy; she is one who early hath her pilgrimage begun. Yea, let young damsels learn of her to prize the world which is to come, and so be wise; for little tripping maids may follow God along the ways which saintly feet have trod. - adapted from John Bunyan
“Christmas won't be Christmas without any presents,” grumbled Jo, lying on the rug.
...for love casts out fear, and gratitude can conquer pride. (p75)
You have a good many little gifts and virtues, but there is no need of parading them, for conceit spoils the finest genius. There is not much danger that real talent or goodness will be overlooked long; even if it is, the consciousness of possessing and using it well should satisfy one, and the great charm of all power is modesty. (p82)
Learn to know and value the praise which is worth having, and to excite the admiration of excellent people, by being modest as well as pretty. (p110)
Money is a needful and precious thing, - and, when well used, a noble thing, - but I never want you to think it is the first and only prize to strive for. (p111)
Between Meg and Marmee:

"He's away all day, and at night when I want to see him, he is continually going over to the Scotts'. It isn't fair that I should have the hardest work, and never any amusement. Men are very selfish, even the best of them."
"So are women. Don't blame John till you see where you are wrong yourself." (Chapter 38, Gutenberg.org edition)
This is the main work for Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, omnibus containing additional works, etc.

This is a heart-warming story about the four lively March sisters; Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy. It tells of their adventures and struggles while growing up in the 19th century civil war era. This is a story of love, heart-ache, triumph and family. Although the four girls have very different personalities, they help each other grow as they experience life's challenges.

I particularly like this book because of the close bond between the four sisters. They seem to balance each other out and the love they have for each other and their "Marmee" seems very genuine. This book has been a favorite of mine since I read it and acted in a play version of it as one of the main characters, Beth.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451529308, Mass Market Paperback)

In picturesque nineteenth-century New England, tomboyish Jo, beautiful Meg, fragile Beth, and romantic Amy come of age while their father is off to war.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:17 -0400)

Chronicles the joys and sorrows of the four March sisters as they grow into young ladies in nineteenth-century New England.

Five editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0143105019, 0141321083, 0141331747, 0451532082, 0143106651

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,541,694 books! | Top bar: Always visible