Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Little Women (original 1868; edition 2010)

by Louisa May Alcott

Title:Little Women
Authors:Louisa May Alcott
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2010), Paperback, 358 pages
Collections:English, Your library, To read

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (1868)

English (334)  Spanish (6)  French (2)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (348)
I cared little for the characters and less for their journeys. I felt trapped in the house with the girls and their kind acts felt more like declarations of piousness than genuine goodness. ( )
  LaPhenix | Nov 22, 2015 |
Recently I saw the musical production of LW and that inspired me to reread the classic, which I hadn't read since I was quite young. My favorite part was encountering outdated language from the 19th century. The book is immensely better than the musical, which preserves the treacle but not the depths of character. ( )
  iBeth | Nov 7, 2015 |
I thoroughly enjoyed the novel, "Little Women", due to the writing of the book and how the author told the story. Alcott always addressed the reader making the text more intimate. It made you feel like you were more involved in the story and gave a better understanding of what was going on in the reader's minds. I found it worked very well for this book, as you were able to follow all the sisters throughout the book with ease and get a strong grasp on their character and development. An issue I had with this novel was that I felt like some aspects of the book became a bit redundant. After a while some things just didn't move on as well as they should, it was like the author kept recycling certain aspects of the plot. For example, I felt that issues surrounding Laurie and Amy could've been tied up earlier, rather than prolonging the issue. I read this book when I was very young, so I was unable to get a solid understanding of what message the author was trying to convey. I will definitely be going back and rereading this novel when I have time. I highly suggest that anyone wanting to read this book, needs to be mature and willing to reread certain parts of the story to get the full effect. Overall, the book was a great read with an interesting plot and set of characters. ( )
  allypomper | Nov 3, 2015 |
This book is about a family and their lives before and after the civil war.Jo and her three sisters grow up pretty happy despite their troubles. The next door neighbor, Laurie, becomes very involved and good friends with the sisters and especially Jo. Eventually he proposes to Jo but she says no and moves to New York to become a writer, Her sister Beth gets the Scarlet fever and she eventually can't fight anymore. The youngest sister ends up marrying Laurie and Jo eventually finds a man of her own.

My personal reaction:
This book is a lot like the movie and that is always one of my favorite things. I really like this book because each of the sisters have characteristics that you can relate to.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
- Do a mini lesson on the civil war
- the students can dress up and act out a play like the sisters did in the book.
  Megan_Livsey | Oct 28, 2015 |
this is a test review ( )
  wanderingwynd | Oct 27, 2015 |

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is replied to in

Has as a student's study guide

Go then, my little Book, and show all that entertain, and bid thee welcome shall, what thou dost keep close shut up in thy breast; and wish that thou dost show them may be blest to them for good, may make them choose to be pilgrims better, by far, than thee or me.
Tell them of Mercy; she is one who early hath her pilgrimage begun. Yea, let young damsels learn of her to prize the world which is to come, and so be wise; for little tripping maids may follow God along the ways which saintly feet have trod. - adapted from John Bunyan
“Christmas won't be Christmas without any presents,” grumbled Jo, lying on the rug.
...for love casts out fear, and gratitude can conquer pride. (p75)
You have a good many little gifts and virtues, but there is no need of parading them, for conceit spoils the finest genius. There is not much danger that real talent or goodness will be overlooked long; even if it is, the consciousness of possessing and using it well should satisfy one, and the great charm of all power is modesty. (p82)
Learn to know and value the praise which is worth having, and to excite the admiration of excellent people, by being modest as well as pretty. (p110)
Money is a needful and precious thing, - and, when well used, a noble thing, - but I never want you to think it is the first and only prize to strive for. (p111)
Between Meg and Marmee:

"He's away all day, and at night when I want to see him, he is continually going over to the Scotts'. It isn't fair that I should have the hardest work, and never any amusement. Men are very selfish, even the best of them."
"So are women. Don't blame John till you see where you are wrong yourself." (Chapter 38, Gutenberg.org edition)
This is the main work for Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, omnibus containing additional works, etc.
This is the original Little Women that does NOT include the sequel Good Wives. Please do not combine editions of Little Women that contain the sequel.
ISBN 1613823444 is a Simon and Brown edition of Little Women.

This is a heart-warming story about the four lively March sisters; Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy. It tells of their adventures and struggles while growing up in the 19th century civil war era. This is a story of love, heart-ache, triumph and family. Although the four girls have very different personalities, they help each other grow as they experience life's challenges.
Four different sisters
learn to overcome their faults.
They learn about love. (marcusbrutus)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451529308, Mass Market Paperback)

In picturesque nineteenth-century New England, tomboyish Jo, beautiful Meg, fragile Beth, and romantic Amy come of age while their father is off to war.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:15 -0400)

Chronicles the joys and sorrows of the four March sisters as they grow into young ladies in nineteenth-century New England.

5 2084

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0143105019, 0141321083, 0141331747, 0451532082, 0143106651

Tantor Media

3 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101255, 1400108608, 1400119227

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,865,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible