The Secret Garden (Puffin Classics) by…

The Secret Garden (Puffin Classics) (original 1911; edition 2008)

by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Member:thebluestockings
Title:The Secret Garden (Puffin Classics)
Authors:Frances Hodgson Burnett
Info:Puffin (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (1911)

1910s (29)
Garden (1)

English (361)  German (3)  Italian (3)  Spanish (1)  All (368)
Finally, a classic I actually enjoyed. I was looking for an easy book that I had on my e-reader while on vacation and this seemed like one that I could easily finish while not taking too much of my attention away from other activities - was I wrong! This story, though slow at the beginning, was totally enchanting and grabbed me until I finished. It's wonderful the way that the author had the children grow and mature as individuals while still keeping their innocence.

I was even lucky enough to see the movie right after I finished the book. The book was better! ( )
  cyderry | Mar 23, 2017 |
One of the most heart-warming stories ever told. ( )
  caseybp | Mar 21, 2017 |
read for assignment
  Amanda001 | Mar 17, 2017 |
(9/10) This is a magical little story to be enjoyed by everyone. I never read it as a child but I loved the film version. It was so nice to see the children grow up and change and bring themselves back to life along with the garden. The final chapter had a lump in my throat as I read it, I think I might have missed the adult undertones in the book if I had read it when I was younger.

It is such a well written book, I will definitely read more by this author and cannot wait to read this to my own children when I have them. ( )
  LiteraryReadaholic | Mar 8, 2017 |
"The Secret Garden" by Frances Hodgson Burnett is the story of a young girl from India who befriends Collin, the sickly son of Archibold Craven, lord of Missethwaite Manor, located in England.The girl's name is Mary, who has just left India after becoming orphaned by a terrible plague. She slowly pulls Collin out of his sickbed, and into radiant health. She does so by introducing him to his late mother's once-neglected walled garden.

I felt this classic was compelling and poignant. I loved the fact that the protagonist was a misfit. She held her own as a quintessential character, along with Collin and Dickon, the young gardener who helps her rescue the quiescent spirit of the garden itself.
Mary has an optimistic viewpoint, contrary to the views held by his physician, Dr. Craven, and Mrs. Medlock, the housekeeper. However, Collin is just as complex in his inner character, and his change is just as significant as Mary's.

I recommend this book to anyone who has known someone who is ill. It is the story of a child awakening to the power of optimism, friendship, intention, and care.

Breton W Kaiser Taylor ( )
  Breton07 | Mar 4, 2017 |

[It] will be read with equal pleasure by young people and by those of their elders who love young things, for whom literary craftsmanship is a source of enjoyment and a quiet, beautiful tale attractive.
added by johnsmithsen | editkamar tidur modern (pay site) (Sep 3, 1911)

Burnett, Frances Hodgsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

When Mary Lennox was sent to Misselthwaite Manor to live with her uncle, everybody said she was the most disagreeable-looking child ever seen.
And the roses—the roses! Rising out of the grass, tangled round the sundial, wreathing the tree trunks, and hanging from their branches, climbing up the walls and spreading over them with long garlands falling in cascades—they came alive day by day, hour by hour. Fair, fresh leaves and buds— and buds—tiny at first, but swelling and working Magic until they burst and uncurled into cups of scent delicately spilling themselves over their brims and filling the garden air.
This is the work for the original text. Please do not combine movies, adaptations, or other shortened editions to this work. Thanks!

AR 6.3, Pts 13

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 006440188X, Paperback)

Mistress Mary is quite contrary until she helps her garden grow. Along the way, she manages to cure her sickly cousin Colin, who is every bit as imperious as she. These two are sullen little peas in a pod, closed up in a gloomy old manor on the Yorkshire moors of England, until a locked-up garden captures their imaginations and puts the blush of a wild rose in their cheeks; "It was the sweetest, most mysterious-looking place any one could imagine. The high walls which shut it in were covered with the leafless stems of roses which were so thick, that they matted together.... 'No wonder it is still,' Mary whispered. 'I am the first person who has spoken here for ten years.'" As new life sprouts from the earth, Mary and Colin's sour natures begin to sweeten. For anyone who has ever felt afraid to live and love, The Secret Garden's portrayal of reawakening spirits will thrill and rejuvenate. Frances Hodgson Burnett creates characters so strong and distinct, young readers continue to identify with them even 85 years after they were conceived. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:40 -0400)

A ten-year-old orphan comes to live in a lonely house on the Yorkshire moors where she discovers an invalid cousin and the mysteries of a locked garden.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0142437050, 0141321067, 0141336536, 0143106457, 0141331763

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763631612, 0763647322

Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100720, 1400108446

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438545, 1909438553

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,239,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible