The Secret Garden (Puffin Classics) by…

The Secret Garden (Puffin Classics) (original 1911; edition 2008)

by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Member:thebluestockings
Title:The Secret Garden (Puffin Classics)
Authors:Frances Hodgson Burnett
Info:Puffin (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (1911)

1910s (29)
Garden (1)

English (362)  German (3)  Italian (3)  Spanish (1)  All (369)
It is a great fantasy chapter book in color pencils because it creats a believeable world and it makes people think about the real world. After the sudden death of her parents in India, Mary Lennox is sent 'home' to England, and the Yorkshire estate of a distant relative. Sad and lonely, her only interest lies in a secret garden, abandoned after a tragic accident. With the help of local the country boy Dickon and Colin, her guardian's invalid son, Mary's spirit is reawakened as they bring the garden back to life. Now Mary will discover that miracles can happen, and that magic is real. ( )
  SSilvia | Apr 10, 2017 |
Katie
  LoBiancoBuzzard | Apr 4, 2017 |
Finally, a classic I actually enjoyed. I was looking for an easy book that I had on my e-reader while on vacation and this seemed like one that I could easily finish while not taking too much of my attention away from other activities - was I wrong! This story, though slow at the beginning, was totally enchanting and grabbed me until I finished. It's wonderful the way that the author had the children grow and mature as individuals while still keeping their innocence.

I was even lucky enough to see the movie right after I finished the book. The book was better! ( )
1 vote cyderry | Mar 23, 2017 |
One of the most heart-warming stories ever told. ( )
1 vote caseybp | Mar 21, 2017 |
read for assignment
  Amanda001 | Mar 17, 2017 |
I read this to my girls, and we all loved it, but we all recognized its quirks, too, such as the uncomfortable racism informing the constant comparisons between India and England, and the prolific use of the adjective "queer." Still, it's a classic for a reason. Burnett wrote lush prose and had a gift for conveying the wonder of a child's experience of the world.

(9/10) This is a magical little story to be enjoyed by everyone. I never read it as a child but I loved the film version. It was so nice to see the children grow up and change and bring themselves back to life along with the garden. The final chapter had a lump in my throat as I read it, I think I might have missed the adult undertones in the book if I had read it when I was younger.

It is such a well written book, I will definitely read more by this author and cannot wait to read this to my own children when I have them.

[It] will be read with equal pleasure by young people and by those of their elders who love young things, for whom literary craftsmanship is a source of enjoyment and a quiet, beautiful tale attractive.
added by johnsmithsen | editkamar tidur modern (pay site) (Sep 3, 1911)

Burnett, Frances Hodgsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

When Mary Lennox was sent to Misselthwaite Manor to live with her uncle, everybody said she was the most disagreeable-looking child ever seen.
And the roses—the roses! Rising out of the grass, tangled round the sundial, wreathing the tree trunks, and hanging from their branches, climbing up the walls and spreading over them with long garlands falling in cascades—they came alive day by day, hour by hour. Fair, fresh leaves and buds— and buds—tiny at first, but swelling and working Magic until they burst and uncurled into cups of scent delicately spilling themselves over their brims and filling the garden air.
This is the work for the original text. Please do not combine movies, adaptations, or other shortened editions to this work. Thanks!

AR 6.3, Pts 13

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 006440188X, Paperback)

Mistress Mary is quite contrary until she helps her garden grow. Along the way, she manages to cure her sickly cousin Colin, who is every bit as imperious as she. These two are sullen little peas in a pod, closed up in a gloomy old manor on the Yorkshire moors of England, until a locked-up garden captures their imaginations and puts the blush of a wild rose in their cheeks; "It was the sweetest, most mysterious-looking place any one could imagine. The high walls which shut it in were covered with the leafless stems of roses which were so thick, that they matted together.... 'No wonder it is still,' Mary whispered. 'I am the first person who has spoken here for ten years.'" As new life sprouts from the earth, Mary and Colin's sour natures begin to sweeten. For anyone who has ever felt afraid to live and love, The Secret Garden's portrayal of reawakening spirits will thrill and rejuvenate. Frances Hodgson Burnett creates characters so strong and distinct, young readers continue to identify with them even 85 years after they were conceived. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:40 -0400)

A ten-year-old orphan comes to live in a lonely house on the Yorkshire moors where she discovers an invalid cousin and the mysteries of a locked garden.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0142437050, 0141321067, 0141336536, 0143106457, 0141331763

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763631612, 0763647322

Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100720, 1400108446

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438545, 1909438553

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,763,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible