Secret Garden by Frances Burnett

Secret Garden (original 1911; edition 2009)

by Frances Burnett

Member:epazia
Title:Secret Garden
Authors:Frances Burnett
Info:Templar Publishing (2009), Hardcover
Rating:*****
Tags:Best Childrens

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (1911)

English (248)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (253)
Magical! I loved how the characters unfolded and the themes were beautiful! ( )
  LaPhenix | Aug 10, 2014 |
One of my favourite all the time. ( )
  Inna8 | Aug 6, 2014 |
As a child I loved watching The Secret Garden movie, it was one of my all time favourites. I had not realised it was a book at the time and wish I had of had the opportunity to read it as a child. The story was written so beautifully and I found the imagery to be so vivid in my mind. The illustrations by Robert Ingpen really added to the story and a spent quite a bit of time looking over them. This story was thoroughly enjoyable and heart warming. ( )
  NicolePatrick | Aug 6, 2014 |
Why is this considered a young person's book? It is one of my favorites. Extremely well written and wonderful character development. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
This is another classic I wanted to read because I liked the movie. And another one I put into my Classic TBR pile.

Although I didn't enjoy it as much as the other classics I've read, it was still a cute little story. And I loved seeing her grow into a sweet, respectful little lady from that not so nice child she was all because she had something and someone to look forward to each and everyday.

This story can be a lesson to many that if you give your children something to look forward to everyday that they enjoy doing, how will their behavior change for the better? If the children are in a more positive environment and have people around them that love them..How much better will their lives be? The change may take time but its possible for it to happen...That's what I get out of it anyway..

And even though the adults didn't really want much to do with her or the other children in the beginning, she eventually got their views to change about her and the little boy she became friends with..

I love the messaged more than anything in this story...That's part of the reason it didn't get less than a 3..And plus, how could I give a classic less than a 3?!?! :-) ( )
  MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |
[It] will be read with equal pleasure by young people and by those of their elders who love young things, for whom literary craftsmanship is a source of enjoyment and a quiet, beautiful tale attractive.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review (pay site) (Sep 3, 1911)

Burnett, Frances Hodgsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
South, AnnaAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tudor, TashaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Unwin, Nora S.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When Mary Lennox was sent to Misselthwaite Manor to live with her uncle, everybody said she was the most disagreeable-looking child ever seen.
And the roses – the roses! Rising out of the grass, tangled round the sundial, wreathing the tree trunks, and hanging from their branches, climbing up the walls and spreading over them with long garlands falling in cascades – they came alive day by day, hour by hour. Fair, fresh leaves and buds – and buds- tiny at first, but swelling and working Magic until they burst and uncurled into cups of scent delicately spilling themselves over their brims and filling the garden air.
This is the work for the original text. Please do not combine movies, adaptations, or other shortened editions to this work. Thanks!

AR 6.3, Pts 13

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 006440188X, Paperback)

Mistress Mary is quite contrary until she helps her garden grow. Along the way, she manages to cure her sickly cousin Colin, who is every bit as imperious as she. These two are sullen little peas in a pod, closed up in a gloomy old manor on the Yorkshire moors of England, until a locked-up garden captures their imaginations and puts the blush of a wild rose in their cheeks; "It was the sweetest, most mysterious-looking place any one could imagine. The high walls which shut it in were covered with the leafless stems of roses which were so thick, that they matted together.... 'No wonder it is still,' Mary whispered. 'I am the first person who has spoken here for ten years.'" As new life sprouts from the earth, Mary and Colin's sour natures begin to sweeten. For anyone who has ever felt afraid to live and love, The Secret Garden's portrayal of reawakening spirits will thrill and rejuvenate. Frances Hodgson Burnett creates characters so strong and distinct, young readers continue to identify with them even 85 years after they were conceived. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:07 -0400)

Ten-year-old Mary comes to live in a lonely house on the Yorkshire moors and discovers an invalid cousin and the mysteries of a locked garden.

Seventeen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Six editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0142437018, 0142437050, 0141321067, 0141336536, 0143106457, 0141331763

Candlewick Press

Two editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763631612, 0763647322

Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,153,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible