The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

The Secret Garden (original 1911; edition 1911)

by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Member:ivyd
Title:The Secret Garden
Authors:Frances Hodgson Burnett
Info:Kindle
Rating:*****
Tags:2013 CC, children, Kindle

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (1911)

English (260)  German (3)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (266)
This book is about orphaned Mary Lennox who moved to her uncle's great house. While living there she discovers the many fun filled secrets including the secret garden. One night she meets Dickon, a miagical boy, who can talk to animals. The secret garden had been forgotten about for many years, but Mary finds a way to bring the secret garden back to life.

This book is very fun and classical. I love the many discoveries that Mary comes across in the book known as scerets. This book helps you to realize that no matter what situations you are in you can make the best of it. It reveals friendship as well.

Extension Ideas: One idea I would be to have the children make their own garden in cup with whatever seeds they would like and over timewatch to see what plants or flowers we have grow in our secret garden. Another idea I would do would be have the class draw me different pictures of what they might have in their secret garden and then right a short story explaining why their garden is a secret or what magical things could happen in their garden.
  theresa.moultrie | Nov 19, 2014 |
It's SO refreshing to read a classic and have it NOT be difficult to read and/or dreadfully boring. I know I probably shouldn't say that, but there are a lot of classics out there that I've tried cracking open and I just can't force myself to continue on that journey.....

This book, however, was fantastic! It kept me captivated from beginning to end. Wonderfully written, just the perfect amount of detail. It was so hopeful and uplifting--the perfect thing to read just as spring approaches! ( )
  trayceetee | Nov 15, 2014 |
What more could a kid ask for? A mystery, a snotty kid getting to know a bit more about the world, a not-invalid, someone called Dickon (is that actually a name?), grumpy Uncle, and a cracking garden.

I love this book - and the film adaptation is wonderful too. THIS is my perfect example of children's literature. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
I finally read this book in my early 30s. The Yorkshire dialect drove me a bit mad, but otherwise entertaining enough. ( )
  cazfrancis | Sep 27, 2014 |
[It] will be read with equal pleasure by young people and by those of their elders who love young things, for whom literary craftsmanship is a source of enjoyment and a quiet, beautiful tale attractive.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review (pay site) (Sep 3, 1911)

Burnett, Frances Hodgsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
South, AnnaAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tudor, TashaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Unwin, Nora S.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When Mary Lennox was sent to Misselthwaite Manor to live with her uncle, everybody said she was the most disagreeable-looking child ever seen.
And the roses – the roses! Rising out of the grass, tangled round the sundial, wreathing the tree trunks, and hanging from their branches, climbing up the walls and spreading over them with long garlands falling in cascades – they came alive day by day, hour by hour. Fair, fresh leaves and buds – and buds- tiny at first, but swelling and working Magic until they burst and uncurled into cups of scent delicately spilling themselves over their brims and filling the garden air.
This is the work for the original text. Please do not combine movies, adaptations, or other shortened editions to this work. Thanks!

AR 6.3, Pts 13

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 006440188X, Paperback)

Mistress Mary is quite contrary until she helps her garden grow. Along the way, she manages to cure her sickly cousin Colin, who is every bit as imperious as she. These two are sullen little peas in a pod, closed up in a gloomy old manor on the Yorkshire moors of England, until a locked-up garden captures their imaginations and puts the blush of a wild rose in their cheeks; "It was the sweetest, most mysterious-looking place any one could imagine. The high walls which shut it in were covered with the leafless stems of roses which were so thick, that they matted together.... 'No wonder it is still,' Mary whispered. 'I am the first person who has spoken here for ten years.'" As new life sprouts from the earth, Mary and Colin's sour natures begin to sweeten. For anyone who has ever felt afraid to live and love, The Secret Garden's portrayal of reawakening spirits will thrill and rejuvenate. Frances Hodgson Burnett creates characters so strong and distinct, young readers continue to identify with them even 85 years after they were conceived. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:07 -0400)

Ten-year-old Mary comes to live in a lonely house on the Yorkshire moors and discovers an invalid cousin and the mysteries of a locked garden.

Seventeen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Six editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0142437018, 0142437050, 0141321067, 0141336536, 0143106457, 0141331763

Candlewick Press

Two editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763631612, 0763647322

Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,051,262 books! | Top bar: Always visible