Dreams of My Russian Summers: A Novel by…

Dreams of My Russian Summers: A Novel (original 1995; edition 2008)

by Andreï Makine

Title:Dreams of My Russian Summers: A Novel
Authors:Andreï Makine
Info:Arcade Publishing (2008), Paperback, 241 pages
Collections:Read, Your library, Favorites

Dreams Of My Russian Summers: A Novel by Andreï Makine (1995)

English (17)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (24)
A long novel about a kid and his relationship with his grandmother and their lives. Often hard to follow, perhaps just a cultural difference through translating the Russian man's French into English... ( )
  niquetteb | Aug 13, 2016 |
71 of 75 for 2015. The reading guide for this novel compares it to work by Nabokov and other great Russian authors, although I can't really see that. The book, written originally in French and presented here as an English translation, tells the story of a young man growing up in Soviet era Russia, spending his summers with his grandmother, a native of Paris. As someone who grew up in all the tension of the Cold War, I am fascinated by stories that tell of the life of my counterparts on the other side of the Iron Curtain. Essentially a Bildungsroman, the story of Andrei and his grandmother's history, the novel takes us through many years of growth, including the period when his "difference," that French background he has from his grandmother, stands in the way of his acceptance as a good soviet youth. The book has four separate, but interrelated time lines: the narrator's summers with Charlotte, his grandmother; the narrator's school years when he lives with his parents, then his aunt after his parents' deaths; Charlotte's youth in early 20th Century Paris; and the narrator's life after he leaves Russia for the West, primarily set in Paris. The first three weave their strands through most of the book. The fourth is presented almost as an addendum: and then I grew up. This is not one of my "light and frivolous" reads. Lots of detail here, and for me at least, a slow read, but worthwhile. ( )
  mtbearded1 | Aug 24, 2015 |
Semi-autobiographical novel hinging on the life of the narrator's grandmother, Charlotte. From the balcony of her small cottage (or izba in Russian), the grandson hears her stylized memories of life in Paris during the Belle Époque period. The writing is elegant, as if from the period, but is delivered as if in a reverie. It comes across as so oblique that I simply could not find a sustained connection to the story. References to tyranny, great societal change, the Great War, are all glancing - unfortunate because the era of early 20th C Russia is a fascinating one. A bit too much emphasis on style, not enough on engagement. ( )
  JamesMScott | Apr 26, 2015 |
My expectations were raised having read "The life of an unknown man" earlier this year, but this was just as impressive. ( )
  bodachliath | Nov 11, 2014 |
I'm glad I took the advice of a Goodreads reviewer and stuck with it because it did take off after Chapter 5 and became rather compulsively readable. I was struck by how it compared with A Very Long Engagament, they made interesting side by side reads.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |

Andreï Makineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Versteeg, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Marianne Veron and Herbert Lottman
For Laura and Thierry de Montalembert
For Jean-Christophe
While still a child, I guessed that this very singular smile represented a strange little victory for each of the women: yes, a fleeting revenge for disappointed hopes, for the coarseness of men, for the rareness of beautiful and true things in this world.
UK title: Le Testament Français

US title: Dreams of My Russian Summers

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684852683, Paperback)

Each summer, Andrei Makine's narrator and his sister leave the Soviet Union for the mythical land of France-Atlantis. That this country is a beautiful confabulation, a consolation existing only in his maternal grandmother's mind, makes it no less real. Though Charlotte Lemonnier lives in a town on the edge of the steppe, each night she journeys to a long-ago Paris, telling tales that the children then translate with their more Russian minds: "The president of the Republic was bound to have something Stalinesque about him in the portrait sketched by our imagination. Neuilly was peopled with kolkhozniks. And the slow emergence of Paris from the waters evoked a very Russian emotion--that of fleeting relief after one more historic cataclysm ..."

Makine's first novel is a singing tribute to the alchemy of inspiration, but it is no less familiar with the sorrows of reality. And it is only as he gets older that the narrator begins to piece together his grandmother's far more tragic past--her experiences in the Great War, the October Revolution, and after. Dreams of My Russian Summers is a love letter to an extraordinary woman (it's hard not to see the book as autobiographical) as well as to language and literature, which the boy turns to in avoidance of history's manipulations. It has all the marks of an instant classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:19 -0400)

A boy growing up in the Soviet Union of the 1960s and 1970s visits his French grandmother each summer, accumulating new tales of a Russia he never knew.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,815,008 books! | Top bar: Always visible