The Taken by Sarah Pinborough

The Taken (2007)

by Sarah Pinborough

Pinborough's language deftly unsettles, disturbs, and evokes fear. She us a master at making your skin prickle in a few short paragraphs. ( )
  ktoonen | Apr 18, 2013 |
This book was okay, but not as good as I had hoped it would be. It wasn't really bad, but I just had trouble with staying interested in it. ( )
  ladybug74 | Apr 8, 2009 |
In a small English farming village, Alex watches and a storm rages and her life falls apart around her. Inside the unrelenting storm, strange children are appearing and mysterious deaths are occurring. Slowly Alex unwinds the mystery of the last time such a storm came to town, 30 years ago.

This is a really good "ghost" story. It is creepy and compelling. I really liked many of the characters, flawed as they were. This is a great winter's read. Curl up with something warm to drink and enjoy. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | Jan 28, 2009 |
In looking for something on the spooky side of the horror genre, I kept seeing some of Sarah Pinborough's books and decided to try The Taken. What an enjoyable read. This is a creepy ghost story involving a rather evil child. There is nothing really new here in that Sarah creates a claustrophobic little town with a secret being besieged by ghosts. However, she does give the ghost story a little twist.
I'll be reading more of Sarah Pinborough as I read through some of her previous books. ( )
  timdt | Oct 14, 2008 |
Really creepy little ghost story novel. Transcends cliche for much of its length.....ending a bit rushed, but overall solid and entertaining. Good summer read. ( )
  chyde | Jul 7, 2008 |
We may be dead and we may be gone, But we will be, we will be, we will be, right by your side Until the day you die. -- The Smiths

Pinborough delivers genuine chills in this effective tale of ghostly revenge. Thirty years ago, in the rural town of Watterrow, England, a beautiful, curly-haired 10-year-old named Melanie Parr suffered a fatal accident. Having used her angelic looks to hide a cruel, sociopathic personality, the girl delighted in tormenting her playmates, whose mothers decided to do something about it. Unfortunately for them, that "something" proved deadly. Even more unfortunate, Melanie's come back for revenge, three decades later, thanks to "The Catcher Man," a benign entity that holds children in a state between life and death.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,062,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible