Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice (1813)

by Jane Austen

51,3579069 (4.43)7 / 2717
    Emma by Jane Austen (CeciP)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (nu-bibliophile)
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (carlym)
    Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Beatrice and Benedick & Lizzie and Darcy- there are some similarties! This is my favorite of Shakespeare's comedies! Two characters who love to spar with words, 2 couples who love each other, and a bad guy! Perfect mix...
    The Annotated Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (humouress)
    humouress: For those who love Pride and Prejudice, and want to know more about the context it was written in, the annotated version adds depth to Jane Austen's work.
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (BookishRuth, Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Mr. Darcy and Mr. Thornton are both of the same cloth, a love story you can really sink into!
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (amanaceerdh)
    Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Both novels offer a similar sort of wry look at the foibles of the English classes in the 18th / 19th centuries. Both are so carefully observed and deliciously written that they remain classics.
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (Bonzer)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (amanaceerdh)
    The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (SandSing7)
    SandSing7: Wharton is as American as Austen is British. Read both works for a comparitive "across the pond" view on the novel of manners.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (Hollerama)
    Excellent Women by Barbara Pym (carlym, amanaceerdh)
    Some Tame Gazelle by Barbara Pym (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: Some Tame Gazelle was Barbara Pym's first book, but I would really recommend any of her works to admirers of Jane Austen. She has the same sensibility, the same grasp of the English social order and the English village, and populates her books with very similar people. But, more important, she has the same sense of humor, and the same marvelous touch with comedies of manners.… (more)
    The Cambridge Introduction to Jane Austen by Janet Todd (aynar)
    Belinda by Maria Edgeworth (CatyM)
    Helen by Maria Edgeworth (MissBrangwen)
    The Making of Pride and Prejudice (BBC) by Susie Conklin (aynar)
    Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith (Jen7waters)
    Jen7waters: Although one is fantasy and the other isn't, Meliara has with Vidanric, the same problem Lizzy has with Darcy: prejudice. She keeps wanting to bite his head off when all he does is help her. Love them all!

Unread books (1,063)

English (848)  Spanish (11)  Italian (10)  Dutch (7)  French (7)  Swedish (6)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Catalan (3)  German (3)  Danish (3)  Portuguese (1)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (905)
As part of a reading challenge I am doing in 2015, I have to read a classic romance and a book written over 100 years ago. Having never read anything by Jane Austen has always made me feel a little culturally illiterate, so I figured I would take the plunge.

I found this book to be really boring. I suppose I am glad I read it, but I don't think I will be reading any more Jane Austen. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
Probably my favourite of this author. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 10, 2015 |
First time I've read an ebook. A download from Project Gutenberg. One of the books you've always told yourself you should have read. No surprise that it has been made into a film many times. The original Bridget Jones Diary. Amusing enough but not sure it deserves its legendary status. ( )
  Steve38 | Aug 6, 2015 |
I've dodged this one for years but I grew tired of losing at the trivia questions. I don't find Jane Austen's work as immediately likeable as I do Charlotte Bronte or Dickens so it requires more patience, but once I'm in the water's fine. Characters aren't introduced quite smoothly and it strikes me there's a bit of awkwardness in getting the plot rolling but this is because, similar to the way "Emma" began (the only other Austen I've read), there's a practically invisible shift from the opening omniscient narrator toward third-person that you just don't see done anymore. It was probably conventional at the time of writing. I'm a little irked when Austen skirts away from dialogue, summarizing it instead of sharing it with us, and in some key moments no less.

I fully anticipated a story about who's making eyes at who, but I didn't even have time to smirk before I was immediately engaged by Mr. Bennet. In the midst of all this fuss he's entirely sympathetic, first for having five daughters, second for his worldview that is admirably tolerant and disengaged from pressure to see his daughters well married before being happily married. Given so much riding on how his estate is obliged to be disposed of for lack of male offspring, he's refreshingly cavalier and keeps his priorities straight. His daughter Elizabeth would like to see him to take a stronger hand in the family, but she ought to be grateful he's the way he is. And he's a hilarious scene stealer.

Elizabeth Bennet does not at once have the spotlight on her, but she soon emerges as the daughter to watch and from whose viewpoint the story is being told. She's another pleasant surprise, filled with self-confidence and determination, though still careful to observe proprieties. She and her sister Jane are sharp as tacks and strive to be fair when guessing the motives and feelings of others. When they overlook something, it's not for lack of trying. I like a level-headed heroine, one who isn't swept off her feet by the first fellow to bat an eye. Much as I like Elizabeth, I question the realism. Contrast with her friend Charlotte's mindset: "Marriage had always been her object; it was the only honourable provision for well-educated young women of small fortune, and however uncertain of giving happiness, must be their pleasantest preservative from want." I suspect that's the reality of the times stated plain and Elizabeth's life is the fantasy, but it's Elizabeth we better sympathize with these two hundred years later. That's good news for us, and for Jane Austen's legacy. ( )
3 vote Cecrow | Jul 30, 2015 |
Let's get this clear: I love Jane Austen.

Sometimes, I feel like I have to defend this view. Some people have a tendency to dismiss her, to some extent, as women's fiction. Now I think that's probably true, at least to an extent. I'm not saying that men can't or won't enjoy Jane Austen, but I do think she tends to appeal more towards women. This is not necessarily a bad thing.

Now let's leave the gender argument alone and move towards the book itself. This book is incredible. The pacing, the comic timing, the characterisation - oh, for a few more scenes with Charlotte! Or Georgiana! These characters have a minimal effect on the plot, but Austen makes them live and breathe on the page. I want back-story.

Somehow I feel the least surprising or affecting thing about the whole story is the romance. Because it's not really about that, is it? It's about realising your judgment is fallible, and, ultimately, learning something about yourself that allows you to form more positive relationships with people. The characters in the book can be divided up into those who learn something about themselves (and end up in not too bad a position) and those who don't (and generally end up in a less favourable poisition).

Agh, I just love it.

1 vote humblewomble | Jul 14, 2015 |
[Recensionen gäller en nyöversättning gjord av Gun-Britt Sundström]

...men ”Stolthet och fördom” är en glad roman, tack vare Elizabeth Bennets frejdiga humör och relativa frispråkighet. I Gun-Britt Sundströms nyöversättning ges gott om utrymme för tvetydigheten i hennes repliker, för skrattet som bubblar under ytan.

[Recensionen gäller en nyöversättning gjord av Gun-Britt Sundström]

När jag läser Sundströms översättning blir det för första gången tydligt för mig hur skickligt Austen tryfferar romanen med små överdrifter, sarkasmer, nålstick av spydighet, utan att läsaren för den skull tappar engagemanget i intrigen. Humorn gäller särskilt gestaltningen av bokens karikatyrer, Elizabeths ytliga och giriga mamma mrs Bennet och den fjäskige och inbilske mr Collins, den släkting som aspirerar på att överta familjegodset.

Satírica, antirromántica, profunda y mordaz a un tiempo, la obra de Jane Austen nace de la observación de la vida doméstica y de un profundo conocimiento de la condición humana. Orgullo y prejuicio ha fascinado a generaciones de lectores por sus inolvidables personajes y su desopilante retrato de una sociedad, la Inglaterra victoriana y rural, tan contradictoria como absurda. Con la llegada del rico y apuesto señor Darcy a su región, las vidas de los Bennet y sus cinco hijas se vuelven del revés. El orgullo y la distancia social, la astucia y la hipocresía, los malentendidos y los juicios apresurados abocan a los personajes al escándalo y al dolor, pero también a la comprensión, el conocimiento y el amor verdadero. Esta edición presenta al lector una nueva traducción al castellano que devuelve todo su esplendor al ingenio y la finísima ironía de la prosa de Austen.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

I "would rather have written Pride and Prejudice, or Tom Jones, than any of the Waverley Novels"
added by GYKM | editGeorge Henry Lewes, George Henry Lewes

From Lambton to Longbourn by Abigail Reynolds

Loving Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

Lady Catherine's Necklace by Joan Aiken

Pemberley Shades by D. A. Bonavia-Hunt

Charlotte Collins: A Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Jennifer Becton

My Dearest Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

Mrs. Darcy's Dilemma: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Diana Birchall

In the Arms of Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

Consequence by Elizabeth Newark

The Trouble with Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

Mr. Darcy's Little Sister by C. Allyn Pierson

Mr. Darcy's Decision: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Juliette Shapiro

Excessively Diverted: The Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Juliette Shapiro

Conviction: A Sequel To Jane Austen's Pride And Prejudice by Skylar Hamilton Burris

Darcy and Fitzwilliam: A tale of a gentleman and an officer by Karen Wasylowski

Pride and Pyramids: Mr. Darcy in Egypt by Amanda Grange

Christmas at Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Holiday Sequel by Regina Jeffers

Teverton Hall by Jane Gillespie

The Ballad of Gregoire Darcy by Marsha Altman

The Disappearance of Georgiana Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice Mystery by Regina Jeffers

Pemberley Revisited by Emma Tennant

Second Impressions by Ava Farmer

Illusions and Ignorance: Mary Bennet's Story by S. E. Ward

The Journey by Jan Hahn

Deborah PP by Jane Gillespie

Colonel Fitzwilliam's Correspondence: Fitzwilliam Darcy's cousin, the Colonel is bound for war on the Peninsula. Is there love in his future while war is waged across Europe? by D. W. Wilkin

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
The power of doing anything with quickness is always prized much by the possessor, and often without any attention to the imperfection of the performance.
Do not be afraid of my running into any excess, of my encroaching on your privilege of universal good will. You need not. There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense.
"In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."
"I wonder who first discovered the efficacy of poetry in driving away love!"
Though Lydia's short letter to Mrs. F. gave them to understand that they were going to Gretna Green, something was dropped by Denny expressing his belief that W. never intended to go there, or to marry Lydia at all, which was repeated to Colonel F., who, instantly taking the alarm, set off from B. intending to trace their route. He did trace them easily to Clapham, but no farther; for on entering that place they removed into a hackney-coach and dismissed the chaise that brought them from Epsom. All that is known after this is that they were seen to continue the London road. I know not what to think. After making every possible enquiry on that side London, Colonel F. came on into Hertfordshire, anxiously renewing them at all the turnpikes, and at the inns in Barnet and Hatfield, but without any success; no such people had been seen to pass through. With the kindest concern he came on to Longbourn, and broke his apprehensions to us in a manner most creditable to his heart.
ISBN 0141024038 is a Penguin Books edition of Pride and Prejudice.
Austen’s most celebrated novel tells the story of Elizabeth Bennet, a bright, lively young woman with four sisters, and a mother determined to marry them to wealthy men. At a party near the Bennets’ home in the English countryside, Elizabeth meets the wealthy, proud Fitzwilliam Darcy. Elizabeth initially finds Darcy haughty and intolerable, but circumstances continue to unite the pair. Mr. Darcy finds himself captivated by Elizabeth’s wit and candor, while her reservations about his character slowly vanish. The story is as much a social critique as it is a love story, and the prose crackles with Austen’s wry wit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553213105, Mass Market Paperback)

Elizabeth Bennet is the perfect Austen heroine: intelligent, generous, sensible, incapable of jealousy or any other major sin. That makes her sound like an insufferable goody-goody, but the truth is she's a completely hip character, who if provoked is not above skewering her antagonist with a piece of her exceptionally sharp -- but always polite -- 18th century wit. The point is, you spend the whole book absolutely fixated on the critical question: will Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy hook up?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:55 -0400)

In early nineteenth-century England, Elizabeth Bennett, a spirited young woman copes with the romantic entanglements of her four sisters, and her feelings for Fitzwilliam Darcy, a brooding gentleman.

11 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439513, 014025157X, 0141028106, 0451530780, 0143105426, 0141037512, 0141329734, 1408248816, 0141199075, 0143123165, 0734306229

Solis Press

An edition of this book was published by Solis Press.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

2 editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1449879225, 1449879233

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,151,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible