Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice (1813)

by Jane Austen

50,06887210 (4.44)6 / 2512
Unread books (1,049)
    Emma by Jane Austen (CeciP)
    The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (carlym)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (nu-bibliophile)
    Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Beatrice and Benedick & Lizzie and Darcy- there are some similarties! This is my favorite of Shakespeare's comedies! Two characters who love to spar with words, 2 couples who love each other, and a bad guy! Perfect mix...
    The Annotated Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (humouress)
    humouress: For those who love Pride and Prejudice, and want to know more about the context it was written in, the annotated version adds depth to Jane Austen's work.
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (amanaceerdh)
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (BookishRuth, Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Mr. Darcy and Mr. Thornton are both of the same cloth, a love story you can really sink into!
    Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Both novels offer a similar sort of wry look at the foibles of the English classes in the 18th / 19th centuries. Both are so carefully observed and deliciously written that they remain classics.
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (Bonzer)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (amanaceerdh)
    The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (SandSing7)
    SandSing7: Wharton is as American as Austen is British. Read both works for a comparitive "across the pond" view on the novel of manners.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (Hollerama)
    Some Tame Gazelle by Barbara Pym (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: Some Tame Gazelle was Barbara Pym's first book, but I would really recommend any of her works to admirers of Jane Austen. She has the same sensibility, the same grasp of the English social order and the English village, and populates her books with very similar people. But, more important, she has the same sense of humor, and the same marvelous touch with comedies of manners.… (more)
    Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith (Jen7waters)
    Jen7waters: Although one is fantasy and the other isn't, Meliara has with Vidanric, the same problem Lizzy has with Darcy: prejudice. She keeps wanting to bite his head off when all he does is help her. Love them all!
    Excellent Women by Barbara Pym (carlym, amanaceerdh)
    Belinda by Maria Edgeworth (CatyM)
    Helen by Maria Edgeworth (MissBrangwen)
    Doctor Thorne by Anthony Trollope (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: Trollope has an Austenesque eye for his characters' motivations and inconsistencies, and his Mary Thorne and Austen's Elizabeth Bennett have much in common. Both are persecuted on the basis of low birth and lack of wealth by an older female relative of their love interest. Both novels are thoroughly enjoyable!… (more)
    Diary of a Provincial Lady by E. M. Delafield (lydiabarr)
    lydiabarr: Austen and Delafield are often compared...both have shrewdly observational sense of humor and an elaborately deadpan style. I love them both.

English (817)  Spanish (10)  Italian (10)  Dutch (7)  French (7)  Swedish (6)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Catalan (3)  German (3)  Danish (3)  Portuguese (1)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (873)
I did it!!! I made it through a book that I thought I never would. It took watching the 1995 TV adaptation to really get me in the right mindset to enjoy it, but once I got into it I found myself really enjoying the prose.

This is one of those books where knowing the entire plot doesn't spoil the fun of reading it. You read it because the prose is beautiful, because the lines are sharp and witty, and because (I assume) that no matter how many times you read it there will always be something new to pick out of the great detail that is provided. I flipped between this edition and the annotated version which actually heightened my enjoyment of the book. Getting some historical context as well as some explanation about the antiquated definitions of some of the words she frequently uses helped to alleviate the confusion that has kept me away for so long. ( )
  plaeski | Dec 16, 2014 |
What a wonderful novel. I enjoyed this book tremendously and found myself yearning for the social structure so prevalent in 19th Century England. I found parallels between my own relationships and those of the main character: Elizabeth Bennet. With four sisters, Lizzy appears to be opinionated, level-headed, intelligent, pretty and committed to her own happiness over the satisfaction of others. Although she is confined to the social rules and habits of her time (and "obeys") she refuses to betray her own desires and motivations. She has a true loyalty to her family despite their flaws. She is particularly close to her father and older sister, Jane. Her mother appears to very shallow and, although Lizzy respects her, I do not feel that their relationship is very close. This mother has but one mission in life: to see her daughters married well as soon as possible. She is weak and a true prisoner to society's opinions and her own relationship with her husband is strained and hollow. There seems to be a mutual disrespect between the two of them. Being single at the time I read this book, I wished sometimes for some "rules" of courtship that were universally known and shared by both men and women. It seems at the time that "letting it all hang out" was the only guiding principle. And that usually led to broken hearts and broken promises. In Jane Austen's day, a woman approaching her late twenties was considered a spinster. I felt those same pressures in my late twenties. Ever since I was a young girl, I longed to be a bride, wife, mother. As I matured I also wanted to be a ... lawyer, manager, trainer, consultant. It became more and more diffictul to prioritize and balance those multiple roles and I found I had much more control over those areas of my life that did not depend on another person. The courtship rituals, path to marriage eluded me. I wonder how much of that was due to Pride and Prejudice. ( )
  kellifrobinson | Nov 25, 2014 |
The very first book that I finished then immediately went to the beginning and read again. I love love love this book. I have reread it at least twice a year since the 6th grade. The characters are wonderful and I love the interactions between them all. ( )
  bookworm286 | Nov 23, 2014 |
One of my all time favorite reads. Like many I first read it my high school AP English class and ever since I continue to enjoy this great story, perfect characters, and excellent writing. ( )
  alysonha | Nov 7, 2014 |
I finally got to this book on my life list. Loved it! ( )
  Nancy.Castaldo | Nov 3, 2014 |
I "would rather have written Pride and Prejudice, or Tom Jones, than any of the Waverley Novels"
added by GYKM | editGeorge Henry Lewes, George Henry Lewes

From Lambton to Longbourn by Abigail Reynolds

Loving Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

Lady Catherine's Necklace by Joan Aiken

Pemberley Shades by D. A. Bonavia-Hunt

Charlotte Collins: A Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Jennifer Becton

Mrs. Darcy's Dilemma: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Diana Birchall

My Dearest Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

In the Arms of Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

Consequence by Elizabeth Newark

Mr. Darcy's Little Sister by C. Allyn Pierson

The Trouble with Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

Excessively Diverted: The Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Juliette Shapiro

Mr. Darcy's Decision: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Juliette Shapiro

Conviction: A Sequel To Jane Austen's Pride And Prejudice by Skylar Hamilton Burris

The Unexpected Miss Bennet by Patrice Sarath

Christmas at Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Holiday Sequel by Regina Jeffers

Teverton Hall by Jane Gillespie

The Ballad of Gregoire Darcy by Marsha Altman

Second Impressions by Ava Farmer

The Disappearance of Georgiana Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice Mystery by Regina Jeffers

Pemberley Revisited by Emma Tennant

Illusions and Ignorance: Mary Bennet's Story by S. E. Ward

The Journey by Jan Hahn

Deborah PP by Jane Gillespie

Colonel Fitzwilliam's Correspondence: Fitzwilliam Darcy's cousin, the Colonel is bound for war on the Peninsula. Is there love in his future while war is waged across Europe? by D. W. Wilkin

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
The power of doing anything with quickness is always prized much by the possessor, and often without any attention to the imperfection of the performance.
Do not be afraid of my running into any excess, of my encroaching on your privilege of universal good will. You need not. There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense.
"In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."
"I wonder who first discovered the efficacy of poetry in driving away love!"
Though Lydia's short letter to Mrs. F. gave them to understand that they were going to Gretna Green, something was dropped by Denny expressing his belief that W. never intended to go there, or to marry Lydia at all, which was repeated to Colonel F., who, instantly taking the alarm, set off from B. intending to trace their route. He did trace them easily to Clapham, but no farther; for on entering that place they removed into a hackney-coach and dismissed the chaise that brought them from Epsom. All that is known after this is that they were seen to continue the London road. I know not what to think. After making every possible enquiry on that side London, Colonel F. came on into Hertfordshire, anxiously renewing them at all the turnpikes, and at the inns in Barnet and Hatfield, but without any success; no such people had been seen to pass through. With the kindest concern he came on to Longbourn, and broke his apprehensions to us in a manner most creditable to his heart.
ISBN 0141024038 is a Penguin Books edition of Pride and Prejudice.
Austen’s most celebrated novel tells the story of Elizabeth Bennet, a bright, lively young woman with four sisters, and a mother determined to marry them to wealthy men. At a party near the Bennets’ home in the English countryside, Elizabeth meets the wealthy, proud Fitzwilliam Darcy. Elizabeth initially finds Darcy haughty and intolerable, but circumstances continue to unite the pair. Mr. Darcy finds himself captivated by Elizabeth’s wit and candor, while her reservations about his character slowly vanish. The story is as much a social critique as it is a love story, and the prose crackles with Austen’s wry wit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553213105, Mass Market Paperback)

Elizabeth Bennet is the perfect Austen heroine: intelligent, generous, sensible, incapable of jealousy or any other major sin. That makes her sound like an insufferable goody-goody, but the truth is she's a completely hip character, who if provoked is not above skewering her antagonist with a piece of her exceptionally sharp -- but always polite -- 18th century wit. The point is, you spend the whole book absolutely fixated on the critical question: will Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy hook up?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:33 -0400)

In early nineteenth-century England, Elizabeth Bennett, a spirited young woman copes with the romantic entanglements of her four sisters, and her feelings for Fitzwilliam Darcy, a brooding gentleman.

13 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439513, 0141439580, 014025157X, 0141028106, 0451530780, 0143105426, 0141037512, 0141037504, 0141329734, 1408248816, 0141199075, 0143123165, 0734306229

Solis Press

An edition of this book was published by Solis Press.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Recorded Books

2 editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1449879225, 1449879233

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,355,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible