Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice (1813)

by Jane Austen

52,5339468 (4.43)7 / 2811
    Emma by Jane Austen (CeciP)
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (nu-bibliophile)
    The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (carlym)
    Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Beatrice and Benedick & Lizzie and Darcy- there are some similarties! This is my favorite of Shakespeare's comedies! Two characters who love to spar with words, 2 couples who love each other, and a bad guy! Perfect mix...
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (BookishRuth, Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Mr. Darcy and Mr. Thornton are both of the same cloth, a love story you can really sink into!
    The Annotated Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (humouress)
    humouress: For those who love Pride and Prejudice, and want to know more about the context it was written in, the annotated version adds depth to Jane Austen's work.
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (amanaceerdh)
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (Bonzer)
    Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Both novels offer a similar sort of wry look at the foibles of the English classes in the 18th / 19th centuries. Both are so carefully observed and deliciously written that they remain classics.
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (amanaceerdh)
    The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (SandSing7)
    SandSing7: Wharton is as American as Austen is British. Read both works for a comparitive "across the pond" view on the novel of manners.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (Hollerama)
    Excellent Women by Barbara Pym (carlym, amanaceerdh)
    The Cambridge Introduction to Jane Austen by Janet Todd (aynar)
    Some Tame Gazelle by Barbara Pym (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: Some Tame Gazelle was Barbara Pym's first book, but I would really recommend any of her works to admirers of Jane Austen. She has the same sensibility, the same grasp of the English social order and the English village, and populates her books with very similar people. But, more important, she has the same sense of humor, and the same marvelous touch with comedies of manners.… (more)
    The Making of Pride and Prejudice (BBC) by Susie Conklin (aynar)
    Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith (Jen7waters)
    Jen7waters: Although one is fantasy and the other isn't, Meliara has with Vidanric, the same problem Lizzy has with Darcy: prejudice. She keeps wanting to bite his head off when all he does is help her. Love them all!
    Belinda by Maria Edgeworth (catherinestead)
    Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier (lucyknows)

English (885)  Spanish (13)  Italian (10)  Dutch (7)  French (7)  Swedish (6)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Catalan (3)  German (3)  Danish (3)  Portuguese (1)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (944)
Classic! ( )
  SaraNoH | Feb 9, 2016 |
More than just a romance novel. A good historic look into the foundations
of modern society. ( )
  verncox | Feb 6, 2016 |
I won't lie I first watched the movie and I don't know if I would love the book as much as I do if I hadn't first. I'm not use to reading books with an older style language but knowing the story from the movie definitely helped me understand what I was looking at, and I have since reread it several times and have branched off into other Austen books, and I'll be rereading it again soon to cure myself from fifty shades of crap. Austen got it right the characters are interesting and realistic they don't all win in the end, but some do. Elizabeth is a strong female character that manages to learn from her mistakes, get her happy ending but still maintain who she is. Austen understood that a woman could be strong and still in a relationship I've read a lot of books lately that were pitched to me as having strong female leads and I get a lot of women trying really hard to be the man and it's not the same thing. Pride and Prejudice is a great balance of the 'old-fashioned' princess story and the I don't need a man to save me story. I'm not sure I'm doing a great job getting my feelings across but I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes to read. ( )
  SamCanesi | Feb 5, 2016 |
Such a delightful & amusing book. The original Chick-Lit. Some books deserve to be read and re-read, preferably at different times in your life. This time I enjoyed the audio version of this book, thanks to Librivox ( )
  _amritasharma_ | Feb 5, 2016 |
Elizabeth and Darcy must be my favourite literary couple. ( )
  tashlyn88 | Feb 5, 2016 |
[Recensionen gäller en nyöversättning gjord av Gun-Britt Sundström]

...men ”Stolthet och fördom” är en glad roman, tack vare Elizabeth Bennets frejdiga humör och relativa frispråkighet. I Gun-Britt Sundströms nyöversättning ges gott om utrymme för tvetydigheten i hennes repliker, för skrattet som bubblar under ytan.

[Recensionen gäller en nyöversättning gjord av Gun-Britt Sundström]

När jag läser Sundströms översättning blir det för första gången tydligt för mig hur skickligt Austen tryfferar romanen med små överdrifter, sarkasmer, nålstick av spydighet, utan att läsaren för den skull tappar engagemanget i intrigen. Humorn gäller särskilt gestaltningen av bokens karikatyrer, Elizabeths ytliga och giriga mamma mrs Bennet och den fjäskige och inbilske mr Collins, den släkting som aspirerar på att överta familjegodset.

Satírica, antirromántica, profunda y mordaz a un tiempo, la obra de Jane Austen nace de la observación de la vida doméstica y de un profundo conocimiento de la condición humana. Orgullo y prejuicio ha fascinado a generaciones de lectores por sus inolvidables personajes y su desopilante retrato de una sociedad, la Inglaterra victoriana y rural, tan contradictoria como absurda. Con la llegada del rico y apuesto señor Darcy a su región, las vidas de los Bennet y sus cinco hijas se vuelven del revés. El orgullo y la distancia social, la astucia y la hipocresía, los malentendidos y los juicios apresurados abocan a los personajes al escándalo y al dolor, pero también a la comprensión, el conocimiento y el amor verdadero. Esta edición presenta al lector una nueva traducción al castellano que devuelve todo su esplendor al ingenio y la finísima ironía de la prosa de Austen.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

I "would rather have written Pride and Prejudice, or Tom Jones, than any of the Waverley Novels"
added by GYKM | editGeorge Henry Lewes, George Henry Lewes

The complete novels of Jane Austen by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Jane Austen: Pride and Prejudice Mansfield Park Persuasion by Jane Austen

Northanger Abbey/Pride and Prejudice/Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Emma / Mansfield Park / Northanger Abbey / Persuasion / Pride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility / Lady Susan by Jane Austen

Emma / Mansfield Park / Northanger Abbey / Persuasion / Pride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Contains

Lydia Bennet's Story: A Sequel to Pride and Prejudice by Jane Odiwe

Loving Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

From Lambton to Longbourn by Abigail Reynolds

Lady Catherine's Necklace by Joan Aiken

Charlotte Collins: A Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Jennifer Becton

Pemberley Shades by D. A. Bonavia-Hunt

My Dearest Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

Mrs. Darcy's Dilemma: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Diana Birchall

In the Arms of Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

Consequence by Elizabeth Newark

The Trouble with Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

Mr. Darcy's Little Sister by C. Allyn Pierson

Excessively Diverted: The Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Juliette Shapiro

Mr. Darcy's Decision: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Juliette Shapiro

Darcy and Fitzwilliam: A tale of a gentleman and an officer by Karen Wasylowski

Conviction: A Sequel To Jane Austen's Pride And Prejudice by Skylar Hamilton Burris

Mr. Darcy's Secret by Jane Odiwe

Pride and Pyramids: Mr. Darcy in Egypt by Amanda Grange

Christmas at Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Holiday Sequel by Regina Jeffers

Teverton Hall by Jane Gillespie

The Ballad of Gregoire Darcy by Marsha Altman

The Disappearance of Georgiana Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice Mystery by Regina Jeffers

Pemberley Revisited by Emma Tennant

Second Impressions by Ava Farmer

The Journey by Jan Hahn

Illusions and Ignorance: Mary Bennet's Story by S. E. Ward

Deborah PP by Jane Gillespie

Colonel Fitzwilliam's Correspondence: Fitzwilliam Darcy's cousin, the Colonel is bound for war on the Peninsula. Is there love in his future while war is waged across Europe? by D. W. Wilkin

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
The power of doing anything with quickness is always prized much by the possessor, and often without any attention to the imperfection of the performance.
Do not be afraid of my running into any excess, of my encroaching on your privilege of universal good will. You need not. There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense.
"In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."
"I wonder who first discovered the efficacy of poetry in driving away love!"
Though Lydia's short letter to Mrs. F. gave them to understand that they were going to Gretna Green, something was dropped by Denny expressing his belief that W. never intended to go there, or to marry Lydia at all, which was repeated to Colonel F., who, instantly taking the alarm, set off from B. intending to trace their route. He did trace them easily to Clapham, but no farther; for on entering that place they removed into a hackney-coach and dismissed the chaise that brought them from Epsom. All that is known after this is that they were seen to continue the London road. I know not what to think. After making every possible enquiry on that side London, Colonel F. came on into Hertfordshire, anxiously renewing them at all the turnpikes, and at the inns in Barnet and Hatfield, but without any success; no such people had been seen to pass through. With the kindest concern he came on to Longbourn, and broke his apprehensions to us in a manner most creditable to his heart.
ISBN 0141024038 is a Penguin Books edition of Pride and Prejudice.
Austen’s most celebrated novel tells the story of Elizabeth Bennet, a bright, lively young woman with four sisters, and a mother determined to marry them to wealthy men. At a party near the Bennets’ home in the English countryside, Elizabeth meets the wealthy, proud Fitzwilliam Darcy. Elizabeth initially finds Darcy haughty and intolerable, but circumstances continue to unite the pair. Mr. Darcy finds himself captivated by Elizabeth’s wit and candor, while her reservations about his character slowly vanish. The story is as much a social critique as it is a love story, and the prose crackles with Austen’s wry wit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553213105, Mass Market Paperback)

Elizabeth Bennet is the perfect Austen heroine: intelligent, generous, sensible, incapable of jealousy or any other major sin. That makes her sound like an insufferable goody-goody, but the truth is she's a completely hip character, who if provoked is not above skewering her antagonist with a piece of her exceptionally sharp -- but always polite -- 18th century wit. The point is, you spend the whole book absolutely fixated on the critical question: will Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy hook up?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:55 -0400)

In early nineteenth-century England, Elizabeth Bennett, a spirited young woman copes with the romantic entanglements of her four sisters, and her feelings for Fitzwilliam Darcy, a brooding gentleman.

11 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439513, 014025157X, 0141028106, 0451530780, 0143105426, 0141037512, 0141329734, 1408248816, 0141199075, 0143123165, 0734306229

Solis Press

An edition of this book was published by Solis Press.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

2 editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1449879225, 1449879233

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,193,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible