Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice (1813)

by Jane Austen

51,2079029 (4.43)7 / 2702
    Emma by Jane Austen (CeciP)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (nu-bibliophile)
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (carlym)
    Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Beatrice and Benedick & Lizzie and Darcy- there are some similarties! This is my favorite of Shakespeare's comedies! Two characters who love to spar with words, 2 couples who love each other, and a bad guy! Perfect mix...
    The Annotated Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (humouress)
    humouress: For those who love Pride and Prejudice, and want to know more about the context it was written in, the annotated version adds depth to Jane Austen's work.
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (BookishRuth, Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Mr. Darcy and Mr. Thornton are both of the same cloth, a love story you can really sink into!
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (amanaceerdh)
    Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Both novels offer a similar sort of wry look at the foibles of the English classes in the 18th / 19th centuries. Both are so carefully observed and deliciously written that they remain classics.
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (Bonzer)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (amanaceerdh)
    The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (SandSing7)
    SandSing7: Wharton is as American as Austen is British. Read both works for a comparitive "across the pond" view on the novel of manners.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (Hollerama)
    Excellent Women by Barbara Pym (carlym, amanaceerdh)
    Some Tame Gazelle by Barbara Pym (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: Some Tame Gazelle was Barbara Pym's first book, but I would really recommend any of her works to admirers of Jane Austen. She has the same sensibility, the same grasp of the English social order and the English village, and populates her books with very similar people. But, more important, she has the same sense of humor, and the same marvelous touch with comedies of manners.… (more)
    The Cambridge Introduction to Jane Austen by Janet Todd (aynar)
    Belinda by Maria Edgeworth (CatyM)
    Helen by Maria Edgeworth (MissBrangwen)
    The Making of Pride and Prejudice (BBC) by Susie Conklin (aynar)
    Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith (Jen7waters)
    Jen7waters: Although one is fantasy and the other isn't, Meliara has with Vidanric, the same problem Lizzy has with Darcy: prejudice. She keeps wanting to bite his head off when all he does is help her. Love them all!

Unread books (1,061)

English (845)  Spanish (11)  Italian (10)  Dutch (7)  French (7)  Swedish (6)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Catalan (3)  German (3)  Danish (3)  Portuguese (1)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (902)
Let's get this clear: I love Jane Austen.

Sometimes, I feel like I have to defend this view. Some people have a tendency to dismiss her, to some extent, as women's fiction. Now I think that's probably true, at least to an extent. I'm not saying that men can't or won't enjoy Jane Austen, but I do think she tends to appeal more towards women. This is not necessarily a bad thing.

Now let's leave the gender argument alone and move towards the book itself. This book is incredible. The pacing, the comic timing, the characterisation - oh, for a few more scenes with Charlotte! Or Georgiana! These characters have a minimal effect on the plot, but Austen makes them live and breathe on the page. I want back-story.

Somehow I feel the least surprising or affecting thing about the whole story is the romance. Because it's not really about that, is it? It's about realising your judgment is fallible, and, ultimately, learning something about yourself that allows you to form more positive relationships with people. The characters in the book can be divided up into those who learn something about themselves (and end up in not too bad a position) and those who don't (and generally end up in a less favourable poisition).

Agh, I just love it.

1 vote humblewomble | Jul 14, 2015 |
A lovely romance. In the past I've found some classics a chore to work my way through and so I generally avoid reading them. This one read quite nicely and inspires me to give some other unopened classics a try. ( )
  Merryann | Jul 7, 2015 |
Pride and Prejudice is a timeless classic that I in no matter will try to review. Anything that has already been said of it will surely give it justice. What I'll be stating here might be more my personal opinion of it than anything else.

I started my New Year with an easy resolution: To read more classics. I've read 1984 and The Lord of the Flies and found I didn't like them as much as everyone else did. This is why I was so hesitant to begin this book.

This book starts off fairly slow, but it doesn't make you want to stop reading. The main allure for me were the characters. Elizabeth Bennet is the kind of sister you wish you had. Strong willed, self sufficient, intelligent and courageous. Elizabeth is protective of her family and would do anything for them. I also liked Mr. Darcy. Although he's described at first as arrogant and insuffeable, I always found him... charming.

The dialogue was sometimes difficult to follow, and sometimes it moved too slow for me, but I kept reading, because the storyline was great. When the "bombshell" finally dropped, well I couldn't read fast enough. And when I read the ending, I couldn't stop smiling.

Pride and Prejudice is a classic I never though I would like. 6 stars, if I could. ( )
  | Jul 1, 2015 | edit |
Joy's Review: It seems almost silly to rate a book that is so much a part of English-language culture. The plot and names and tropes are so ubiquitous and so much a part of the culture, that I can't honestly say if I had read this before or not. It felt a bit like visiting a place that I had seen many pictures of. That said, I found it very pleasant reading. Familiar and predictable, but also funny and insightful. Like a nice chat with an old friend. ( )
  konastories | Jun 26, 2015 |
Oh gosh. This book is not for me. I made it to page 70 in a borrowed book, and returned it at that point rather than taking the person up on the offer to take it with me.
The wife calling her husband 'Mr. Darcy' during their personal conversations with each other was hard to overlook after the fifth time.
The underhanded and sneaky means of finding husbands for the females was annoying, but when it became more obvious that was the only goal in life for the female characters, I got truly discouraged and disappointed. Is this the 200 year old version of Twilight or 50 Shades of Grey?
Just like in a Harlequin novel, the rouge vagrant of a man that the heroine initially despises was to become her object of undying love (or so I think, from what I've heard of the book over the past decades). And just like a Harlequin novel, I could not care less about these characters near the middle of the book than before I met them.
I will try again in a few years in an attempt to see the greatness that others have seen. Just having a hard time right now thinking that I ever will enjoy it.
  CathyInCanada | Jun 25, 2015 |
[Recensionen gäller en nyöversättning gjord av Gun-Britt Sundström]

...men ”Stolthet och fördom” är en glad roman, tack vare Elizabeth Bennets frejdiga humör och relativa frispråkighet. I Gun-Britt Sundströms nyöversättning ges gott om utrymme för tvetydigheten i hennes repliker, för skrattet som bubblar under ytan.

[Recensionen gäller en nyöversättning gjord av Gun-Britt Sundström]

När jag läser Sundströms översättning blir det för första gången tydligt för mig hur skickligt Austen tryfferar romanen med små överdrifter, sarkasmer, nålstick av spydighet, utan att läsaren för den skull tappar engagemanget i intrigen. Humorn gäller särskilt gestaltningen av bokens karikatyrer, Elizabeths ytliga och giriga mamma mrs Bennet och den fjäskige och inbilske mr Collins, den släkting som aspirerar på att överta familjegodset.

I "would rather have written Pride and Prejudice, or Tom Jones, than any of the Waverley Novels"
added by GYKM | editGeorge Henry Lewes, George Henry Lewes

From Lambton to Longbourn by Abigail Reynolds

Loving Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

Lady Catherine's Necklace by Joan Aiken

Pemberley Shades by D. A. Bonavia-Hunt

Charlotte Collins: A Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Jennifer Becton

My Dearest Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

Mrs. Darcy's Dilemma: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Diana Birchall

In the Arms of Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

Consequence by Elizabeth Newark

The Trouble with Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

Mr. Darcy's Little Sister by C. Allyn Pierson

Excessively Diverted: The Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Juliette Shapiro

Mr. Darcy's Decision: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Juliette Shapiro

Conviction: A Sequel To Jane Austen's Pride And Prejudice by Skylar Hamilton Burris

Darcy and Fitzwilliam: A tale of a gentleman and an officer by Karen Wasylowski

Pride and Pyramids: Mr. Darcy in Egypt by Amanda Grange

Christmas at Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Holiday Sequel by Regina Jeffers

Teverton Hall by Jane Gillespie

The Ballad of Gregoire Darcy by Marsha Altman

The Disappearance of Georgiana Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice Mystery by Regina Jeffers

Pemberley Revisited by Emma Tennant

Second Impressions by Ava Farmer

Illusions and Ignorance: Mary Bennet's Story by S. E. Ward

The Journey by Jan Hahn

Deborah PP by Jane Gillespie

Colonel Fitzwilliam's Correspondence: Fitzwilliam Darcy's cousin, the Colonel is bound for war on the Peninsula. Is there love in his future while war is waged across Europe? by D. W. Wilkin

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
The power of doing anything with quickness is always prized much by the possessor, and often without any attention to the imperfection of the performance.
Do not be afraid of my running into any excess, of my encroaching on your privilege of universal good will. You need not. There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense.
"In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."
"I wonder who first discovered the efficacy of poetry in driving away love!"
Though Lydia's short letter to Mrs. F. gave them to understand that they were going to Gretna Green, something was dropped by Denny expressing his belief that W. never intended to go there, or to marry Lydia at all, which was repeated to Colonel F., who, instantly taking the alarm, set off from B. intending to trace their route. He did trace them easily to Clapham, but no farther; for on entering that place they removed into a hackney-coach and dismissed the chaise that brought them from Epsom. All that is known after this is that they were seen to continue the London road. I know not what to think. After making every possible enquiry on that side London, Colonel F. came on into Hertfordshire, anxiously renewing them at all the turnpikes, and at the inns in Barnet and Hatfield, but without any success; no such people had been seen to pass through. With the kindest concern he came on to Longbourn, and broke his apprehensions to us in a manner most creditable to his heart.
ISBN 0141024038 is a Penguin Books edition of Pride and Prejudice.
Austen’s most celebrated novel tells the story of Elizabeth Bennet, a bright, lively young woman with four sisters, and a mother determined to marry them to wealthy men. At a party near the Bennets’ home in the English countryside, Elizabeth meets the wealthy, proud Fitzwilliam Darcy. Elizabeth initially finds Darcy haughty and intolerable, but circumstances continue to unite the pair. Mr. Darcy finds himself captivated by Elizabeth’s wit and candor, while her reservations about his character slowly vanish. The story is as much a social critique as it is a love story, and the prose crackles with Austen’s wry wit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553213105, Mass Market Paperback)

Elizabeth Bennet is the perfect Austen heroine: intelligent, generous, sensible, incapable of jealousy or any other major sin. That makes her sound like an insufferable goody-goody, but the truth is she's a completely hip character, who if provoked is not above skewering her antagonist with a piece of her exceptionally sharp -- but always polite -- 18th century wit. The point is, you spend the whole book absolutely fixated on the critical question: will Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy hook up?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:55 -0400)

In early nineteenth-century England, Elizabeth Bennett, a spirited young woman copes with the romantic entanglements of her four sisters, and her feelings for Fitzwilliam Darcy, a brooding gentleman.

13 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439513, 0141439580, 014025157X, 0141028106, 0451530780, 0143105426, 0141037512, 0141037504, 0141329734, 1408248816, 0141199075, 0143123165, 0734306229

Solis Press

An edition of this book was published by Solis Press.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

2 editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1449879225, 1449879233

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,409,714 books! | Top bar: Always visible