Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice (1813)

by Jane Austen

51,8039088 (4.43)7 / 2762
    Emma by Jane Austen (CeciP)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (nu-bibliophile)
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (carlym)
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (BookishRuth, Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Mr. Darcy and Mr. Thornton are both of the same cloth, a love story you can really sink into!
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (amanaceerdh)
    The Annotated Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (humouress)
    humouress: For those who love Pride and Prejudice, and want to know more about the context it was written in, the annotated version adds depth to Jane Austen's work.
    Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Beatrice and Benedick & Lizzie and Darcy- there are some similarties! This is my favorite of Shakespeare's comedies! Two characters who love to spar with words, 2 couples who love each other, and a bad guy! Perfect mix...
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (Bonzer)
    Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Both novels offer a similar sort of wry look at the foibles of the English classes in the 18th / 19th centuries. Both are so carefully observed and deliciously written that they remain classics.
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (amanaceerdh)
    The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (SandSing7)
    SandSing7: Wharton is as American as Austen is British. Read both works for a comparitive "across the pond" view on the novel of manners.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (Hollerama)
    Excellent Women by Barbara Pym (carlym, amanaceerdh)
    Some Tame Gazelle by Barbara Pym (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: Some Tame Gazelle was Barbara Pym's first book, but I would really recommend any of her works to admirers of Jane Austen. She has the same sensibility, the same grasp of the English social order and the English village, and populates her books with very similar people. But, more important, she has the same sense of humor, and the same marvelous touch with comedies of manners.… (more)
    The Cambridge Introduction to Jane Austen by Janet Todd (aynar)
    Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith (Jen7waters)
    Jen7waters: Although one is fantasy and the other isn't, Meliara has with Vidanric, the same problem Lizzy has with Darcy: prejudice. She keeps wanting to bite his head off when all he does is help her. Love them all!
    Helen by Maria Edgeworth (MissBrangwen)
    Belinda by Maria Edgeworth (CatyM)
    The Making of Pride and Prejudice (BBC) by Susie Conklin (aynar)

English (850)  Spanish (13)  Italian (10)  Dutch (7)  French (7)  Swedish (6)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Catalan (3)  German (3)  Danish (3)  Portuguese (1)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (909)
This book talks about Jane Austen, and her life through a English village. This shows how she is treated when she is considering marriage. ( )
  JessicaWestR | Nov 17, 2015 |
What can you say. There have been thousands of reviews of Jane Austin's books. Many experts have deemed this the best novel every written in the English language. Five stars - more if possible. Re-read this after many years for an upcoming book club. ( )
  jcozart | Nov 17, 2015 |
A slightly overcooked, but enjoyable, confection, cried Mike. ( )
  Michael.Xolotl | Nov 11, 2015 |
As they say, "a lot of thought." The book is very, very good, many of the existing prejudice against so "feminine" literature should be shaken. Austin writes a lot of fun and witty, with all the intricacies of the language (sometimes had to slow to read some phrases to discern the meaning of polite bulks auxiliary and modal verbs) - on that basis I can recommend to anyone. Item - yes, someone may not seem interesting. It's kind of fantasy: contemporary readers of the author, shaken by all possible cataclysms era (the book was published in 1813), suddenly finds himself in a world where there is nothing, except for receptions, parties, costumes, playing the pianoforte, and reasoning about human relationships, and even officers appear only to adorn their uniforms streets of a provincial town. This "War and Peace" without war; There is no death, and even disease - just an excuse to stay away a little longer and get to know better. If you liked this book escapists in the early 19th century, the more they will love it 200 years later - for the dialed meanwhile bonus exotics. On the other hand, it is impossible not to note the relevance and educational value of such literature for the generation of a new sentimentalism of Facebook and Twitter. But my acrimony should not be attributed to the book - it is very good, I can only recommend.

In addition, the novel makes any non-English ashamed. In Britain and America two hundred years ago, it was the writer of this level, while for continental Europe wandering hordes of Neanderthal-Kirche kyuhe-kindermedhenov; about Russia, I better not even talking. To make up for lagging behind the rest of the world seems to begin only now. I read tis book for the essay for assignment writing service in melbourne and didn't have great expectations.

What I did not like it a bit: to build intrigue. That is to say, I really liked (and like) the idea of ​​falling in love is the two men who hate each other at first could not (although for two hundred years, this move had poistrepatsya). Before explaining the scenes with Mr. Darcy (which is exactly the middle of the book), everything is very interesting: it is clear that it is unfair to Elizabeth, but that's how this injustice and will reveal how everything will turn 180 degrees, it is not clear even once. And then he just takes, and wrote her a letter, which tells all the details; you are what you want, but I was disappointed. After this absolutely clear (despite all the assurances of the author, that "she did not feel for him is still no attachment"), through which the two unspecified number of pages to get married How cute. I'm such a move seemed unworthy of all previous painstaking intrigue: built-built of toothpicks layout of the cathedral and in the middle of a sudden decided that the best of the stove to heat. I have personally made somehow so that the truth about Mr. Darcy, Elizabeth learned from some third party and somehow accidentally; in the end, who you have had enough.
  ThomasSims | Oct 30, 2015 |
UPDATE - Re-read 19/3/15
My opinion of Pride and Prejudice has improved so much with a re-read, from a 2 star rating to a 4.5. I appreciated the humour and plot a lot more this time around since I wasn't studying it for school. This time I fell in love with the characters and the overall novel. It makes me want to read more of her books.

Granted I had to read this for English, I kind of like this. The story was genuinely interesting and the way it was written was perfectly beautiful but I kind of rushed my way through it because in all honesty, I'd rather read something else. I can see its beauty buts its not really my type of story. I enjoyed the second half of this book substanially more with the excitement with Lydia. Definetly had to be the best part for me apart from ALL the scenes involving Mr Darcy. Asides from Elizabeth, he was by far the best character. He was so believable. It was so easy to see him in all these situations. Even the parts where he was confessing his love it stayed in character.
This book is like 200 years old and I believe it will always remain a favourite. I wouldn't say I loved this book but it was lovely. It made me want to read some other classics... just not at the moment. :P ( )
  ebethiepaige | Oct 20, 2015 |
[Recensionen gäller en nyöversättning gjord av Gun-Britt Sundström]

...men ”Stolthet och fördom” är en glad roman, tack vare Elizabeth Bennets frejdiga humör och relativa frispråkighet. I Gun-Britt Sundströms nyöversättning ges gott om utrymme för tvetydigheten i hennes repliker, för skrattet som bubblar under ytan.
[Recensionen gäller en nyöversättning gjord av Gun-Britt Sundström]

När jag läser Sundströms översättning blir det för första gången tydligt för mig hur skickligt Austen tryfferar romanen med små överdrifter, sarkasmer, nålstick av spydighet, utan att läsaren för den skull tappar engagemanget i intrigen. Humorn gäller särskilt gestaltningen av bokens karikatyrer, Elizabeths ytliga och giriga mamma mrs Bennet och den fjäskige och inbilske mr Collins, den släkting som aspirerar på att överta familjegodset.
Satírica, antirromántica, profunda y mordaz a un tiempo, la obra de Jane Austen nace de la observación de la vida doméstica y de un profundo conocimiento de la condición humana. Orgullo y prejuicio ha fascinado a generaciones de lectores por sus inolvidables personajes y su desopilante retrato de una sociedad, la Inglaterra victoriana y rural, tan contradictoria como absurda. Con la llegada del rico y apuesto señor Darcy a su región, las vidas de los Bennet y sus cinco hijas se vuelven del revés. El orgullo y la distancia social, la astucia y la hipocresía, los malentendidos y los juicios apresurados abocan a los personajes al escándalo y al dolor, pero también a la comprensión, el conocimiento y el amor verdadero. Esta edición presenta al lector una nueva traducción al castellano que devuelve todo su esplendor al ingenio y la finísima ironía de la prosa de Austen.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia
I "would rather have written Pride and Prejudice, or Tom Jones, than any of the Waverley Novels"
added by GYKM | editGeorge Henry Lewes, George Henry Lewes

Lydia Bennet's Story: A Sequel to Pride and Prejudice by Jane Odiwe

Loving Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

From Lambton to Longbourn by Abigail Reynolds

Lady Catherine's Necklace by Joan Aiken

Charlotte Collins: A Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Jennifer Becton

Pemberley Shades by D. A. Bonavia-Hunt

My Dearest Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

Mrs. Darcy's Dilemma: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Diana Birchall

In the Arms of Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

Consequence by Elizabeth Newark

The Trouble with Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

Mr. Darcy's Little Sister by C. Allyn Pierson

Mr. Darcy's Decision: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Juliette Shapiro

Excessively Diverted: The Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Juliette Shapiro

Conviction: A Sequel To Jane Austen's Pride And Prejudice by Skylar Hamilton Burris

Darcy and Fitzwilliam: A tale of a gentleman and an officer by Karen Wasylowski

Pride and Pyramids: Mr. Darcy in Egypt by Amanda Grange

Christmas at Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Holiday Sequel by Regina Jeffers

Teverton Hall by Jane Gillespie

The Ballad of Gregoire Darcy by Marsha Altman

The Disappearance of Georgiana Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice Mystery by Regina Jeffers

Pemberley Revisited by Emma Tennant

Second Impressions by Ava Farmer

Illusions and Ignorance: Mary Bennet's Story by S. E. Ward

The Journey by Jan Hahn

Deborah PP by Jane Gillespie

Colonel Fitzwilliam's Correspondence: Fitzwilliam Darcy's cousin, the Colonel is bound for war on the Peninsula. Is there love in his future while war is waged across Europe? by D. W. Wilkin

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
The power of doing anything with quickness is always prized much by the possessor, and often without any attention to the imperfection of the performance.
Do not be afraid of my running into any excess, of my encroaching on your privilege of universal good will. You need not. There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense.
"In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."
"I wonder who first discovered the efficacy of poetry in driving away love!"
Though Lydia's short letter to Mrs. F. gave them to understand that they were going to Gretna Green, something was dropped by Denny expressing his belief that W. never intended to go there, or to marry Lydia at all, which was repeated to Colonel F., who, instantly taking the alarm, set off from B. intending to trace their route. He did trace them easily to Clapham, but no farther; for on entering that place they removed into a hackney-coach and dismissed the chaise that brought them from Epsom. All that is known after this is that they were seen to continue the London road. I know not what to think. After making every possible enquiry on that side London, Colonel F. came on into Hertfordshire, anxiously renewing them at all the turnpikes, and at the inns in Barnet and Hatfield, but without any success; no such people had been seen to pass through. With the kindest concern he came on to Longbourn, and broke his apprehensions to us in a manner most creditable to his heart.
ISBN 0141024038 is a Penguin Books edition of Pride and Prejudice.
Austen’s most celebrated novel tells the story of Elizabeth Bennet, a bright, lively young woman with four sisters, and a mother determined to marry them to wealthy men. At a party near the Bennets’ home in the English countryside, Elizabeth meets the wealthy, proud Fitzwilliam Darcy. Elizabeth initially finds Darcy haughty and intolerable, but circumstances continue to unite the pair. Mr. Darcy finds himself captivated by Elizabeth’s wit and candor, while her reservations about his character slowly vanish. The story is as much a social critique as it is a love story, and the prose crackles with Austen’s wry wit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553213105, Mass Market Paperback)

Elizabeth Bennet is the perfect Austen heroine: intelligent, generous, sensible, incapable of jealousy or any other major sin. That makes her sound like an insufferable goody-goody, but the truth is she's a completely hip character, who if provoked is not above skewering her antagonist with a piece of her exceptionally sharp -- but always polite -- 18th century wit. The point is, you spend the whole book absolutely fixated on the critical question: will Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy hook up?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:55 -0400)

In early nineteenth-century England, Elizabeth Bennett, a spirited young woman copes with the romantic entanglements of her four sisters, and her feelings for Fitzwilliam Darcy, a brooding gentleman.

11 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439513, 014025157X, 0141028106, 0451530780, 0143105426, 0141037512, 0141329734, 1408248816, 0141199075, 0143123165, 0734306229

Solis Press

An edition of this book was published by Solis Press.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

2 editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1449879225, 1449879233

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,964,282 books! | Top bar: Always visible