dismiss

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice (1813)

by Jane Austen

64,115113710 (4.41)7 / 3672
In early nineteenth century England, a spirited young woman copes with the suit of a snobbish gentleman as well as the romantic entanglements of her four sisters.
    Emma by Jane Austen (CeciP)
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (Headinherbooks_27)
    Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Beatrice and Benedick & Lizzie and Darcy- there are some similarties! This is my favorite of Shakespeare's comedies! Two characters who love to spar with words, 2 couples who love each other, and a bad guy! Perfect mix...
    The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (carlym)
    The Annotated Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (humouress)
    humouress: For those who love Pride and Prejudice, and want to know more about the context it was written in, the annotated version adds depth to Jane Austen's work.
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (BookishRuth, Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Mr. Darcy and Mr. Thornton are both of the same cloth, a love story you can really sink into!
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (Bonzer)
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (dawnlovesbooks)
    Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Both novels offer a similar sort of wry look at the foibles of the English classes in the 18th / 19th centuries. Both are so carefully observed and deliciously written that they remain classics.
    The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (SandSing7)
    SandSing7: Wharton is as American as Austen is British. Read both works for a comparitive "across the pond" view on the novel of manners.
    Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (dawnlovesbooks)
    Excellent Women by Barbara Pym (carlym, dawnlovesbooks)
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (HollyMS)
    Some Tame Gazelle by Barbara Pym (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: Some Tame Gazelle was Barbara Pym's first book, but I would really recommend any of her works to admirers of Jane Austen. She has the same sensibility, the same grasp of the English social order and the English village, and populates her books with very similar people. But, more important, she has the same sense of humor, and the same marvelous touch with comedies of manners.… (more)
    The Cambridge Introduction to Jane Austen by Janet Todd (aynar)
    Diary of a Provincial Lady by E. M. Delafield (lydiabarr)
    lydiabarr: Austen and Delafield are often compared...both have shrewdly observational sense of humor and an elaborately deadpan style. I love them both.
    The Making of Pride and Prejudice (BBC) by Susie Conklin (aynar)
    Belinda by Maria Edgeworth (catherinestead)
    Helen by Maria Edgeworth (MissBrangwen)

1810s (1)

English (1,066)  Spanish (17)  Italian (11)  French (10)  Dutch (7)  Swedish (6)  Catalan (4)  German (4)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Danish (3)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Portuguese (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (1,135)
This book definitely came as a pleasant surprise. I was initially reluctant to give this book a read; I expected material similar to that of Charles Dicken's "Great Expectations" or Emily Brontë's(?) "Wuthering Heights."

I especially enjoyed Elizabeth's character. It really takes timeless genius for a character to appear so genuine and so human. Pride and Prejudice, truly a masterpiece. I could read this over and over and still enjoy every moment. ( )
  Nowstudystudy | Jun 2, 2020 |
I am arguably the world's biggest romantic cynic, but even the most impenetrable heart must yield to words such as these: "She respected, she esteemed, she was grateful to him, she felt a real interest in his welfare; and she only wanted to know how far she wished that welfare to depend upon herself, and how far it would be for the happiness of both that she should employ the power, which her fancy told her she still possessed, of bringing on the renewal of his addresses." Austen has an instinct for the nuances of human behavior: the blush of the cheek, the awkward silence, the perplexity, the mortification, the often subtle shifts between adoration and aversion. She captures it all flawlessly and truthfully. ( )
  TheaJean | Jun 2, 2020 |
With great pride, I admit I'm a big fan of Pride and Prejudice. I've consistently ignored the fact that it is a Romance novel, that it is full of flighty girls doing silly things and jumping to massive conclusions without even a speck of proof, and I've totally discounted the fact that just about everyone on the planet has read it.

Am I prejudiced to believe it is a wonderful novel that keeps my interest from start to finish? Possibly. I might also be prejudiced enough to defend it against anyone who says this work is a piece of fluffy, self-important, wish-fulfillment doggerel.

Come on! I DARE you. This is my pride you're pricking.

Yeah, fine, it MAY be a Romance, damn it... but it's also a classic. And it's written really well and it hits me somewhere deep. I'm not THAT prejudiced against Romance novels, am I?

Oh, my. I might be just as confused and conflicted as Elizabeth.

Ah, well, the novel is still good. No one can take that away from me. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
My favorite. ( )
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |
This is an amusing novel, and a great way to pass the time. I can see why it is a classic, though some of the characters (intentionally) annoy me greatly. I know, they are set up as foils to the elder Miss Bennets, but that doesn't lessen the annoyance.

While I did greatly enjoy this novel, I also couldn't help but compare it to Emma, which I recently enjoyed even more than this one. I suppose that I prefer the misunderstandings which lead to hurdles in the way of matrimonial joy to be caused by good-natured and well-intentioned plans than due to an excess of the pride or prejudice in this book's title.

All the same, however, I can see why this book is a classic and well-rated example of its genre. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
[Recensionen gäller en nyöversättning gjord av Gun-Britt Sundström]

...men ”Stolthet och fördom” är en glad roman, tack vare Elizabeth Bennets frejdiga humör och relativa frispråkighet. I Gun-Britt Sundströms nyöversättning ges gott om utrymme för tvetydigheten i hennes repliker, för skrattet som bubblar under ytan.

[Recensionen gäller en nyöversättning gjord av Gun-Britt Sundström]

När jag läser Sundströms översättning blir det för första gången tydligt för mig hur skickligt Austen tryfferar romanen med små överdrifter, sarkasmer, nålstick av spydighet, utan att läsaren för den skull tappar engagemanget i intrigen. Humorn gäller särskilt gestaltningen av bokens karikatyrer, Elizabeths ytliga och giriga mamma mrs Bennet och den fjäskige och inbilske mr Collins, den släkting som aspirerar på att överta familjegodset.

In Pride and Prejudice, Austen turned up the dial that controls the temperature of comedy, giving it some of the fever of what we would now call romance... For Elizabeth Bennet is the most frictionlessly adorable Heroine in the corpus – by some distance. And, as for the Hero, well, Miss Austen, for once in her short life, held nothing back: tall, dark, handsome, brooding, clever, noble, and profoundly rich...No reader can resist the brazen wishfulness of Pride and Prejudice, but it is clear from internal evidence alone that Austen never fully forgave herself for it...

Pride and Prejudice suckers you. Amazingly – and, I believe, uniquely – it goes on suckering you. Even now, as I open the book, I feel the same tizzy of unsatisfied expectation, despite five or six rereadings. How can this be, when the genre itself guarantees consummation? The simple answer is that these lovers really are ‘made for each other’ – by their creator. They are constructed for each other: interlocked for wedlock. Their marriage has to be.

Satírica, antirromántica, profunda y mordaz a un tiempo, la obra de Jane Austen nace de la observación de la vida doméstica y de un profundo conocimiento de la condición humana. Orgullo y prejuicio ha fascinado a generaciones de lectores por sus inolvidables personajes y su desopilante retrato de una sociedad, la Inglaterra victoriana y rural, tan contradictoria como absurda. Con la llegada del rico y apuesto señor Darcy a su región, las vidas de los Bennet y sus cinco hijas se vuelven del revés. El orgullo y la distancia social, la astucia y la hipocresía, los malentendidos y los juicios apresurados abocan a los personajes al escándalo y al dolor, pero también a la comprensión, el conocimiento y el amor verdadero. Esta edición presenta al lector una nueva traducción al castellano que devuelve todo su esplendor al ingenio y la finísima ironía de la prosa de Austen.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

I "would rather have written Pride and Prejudice, or Tom Jones, than any of the Waverley Novels"
added by GYKM | editGeorge Henry Lewes, George Henry Lewes

Belongs to Publisher Series

Amstelboeken (108-109)
Blackbirds (1992.1)
Flipback (Classics 5)
Gli Oscar Mondadori (Classici, 7)

Is contained in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
The power of doing anything with quickness is always prized much by the possessor, and often without any attention to the imperfection of the performance.
Do not be afraid of my running into any excess, of my encroaching on your privilege of universal good will. You need not. There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense.
"In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."
"I wonder who first discovered the efficacy of poetry in driving away love!"
Though Lydia's short letter to Mrs. F. gave them to understand that they were going to Gretna Green, something was dropped by Denny expressing his belief that W. never intended to go there, or to marry Lydia at all, which was repeated to Colonel F., who, instantly taking the alarm, set off from B. intending to trace their route. He did trace them easily to Clapham, but no farther; for on entering that place they removed into a hackney-coach and dismissed the chaise that brought them from Epsom. All that is known after this is that they were seen to continue the London road. I know not what to think. After making every possible enquiry on that side London, Colonel F. came on into Hertfordshire, anxiously renewing them at all the turnpikes, and at the inns in Barnet and Hatfield, but without any success; no such people had been seen to pass through. With the kindest concern he came on to Longbourn, and broke his apprehensions to us in a manner most creditable to his heart.

Austen’s most celebrated novel tells the story of Elizabeth Bennet, a bright, lively young woman with four sisters, and a mother determined to marry them to wealthy men. At a party near the Bennets’ home in the English countryside, Elizabeth meets the wealthy, proud Fitzwilliam Darcy. Elizabeth initially finds Darcy haughty and intolerable, but circumstances continue to unite the pair. Mr. Darcy finds himself captivated by Elizabeth’s wit and candor, while her reservations about his character slowly vanish. The story is as much a social critique as it is a love story, and the prose crackles with Austen’s wry wit.
One of five women,
Finding a man for herself
with wit, pride and love.
(DeusXMachina)

9 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439513, 0141028106, 0451530780, 0143105426, 0141037512, 0141329734, 0141199075, 0143123165, 0734306229

Solis Press

An edition of this book was published by Solis Press.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

2 editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1449879225, 1449879233

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175064, 1909175005

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,748,909 books! | Top bar: Always visible