dismiss

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice (1813)

by Jane Austen

64,007113310 (4.41)7 / 3669
In early nineteenth century England, a spirited young woman copes with the suit of a snobbish gentleman as well as the romantic entanglements of her four sisters.
    Emma by Jane Austen (CeciP)
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (Headinherbooks_27)
    Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Beatrice and Benedick & Lizzie and Darcy- there are some similarties! This is my favorite of Shakespeare's comedies! Two characters who love to spar with words, 2 couples who love each other, and a bad guy! Perfect mix...
    The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (carlym)
    The Annotated Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (humouress)
    humouress: For those who love Pride and Prejudice, and want to know more about the context it was written in, the annotated version adds depth to Jane Austen's work.
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (BookishRuth, Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Mr. Darcy and Mr. Thornton are both of the same cloth, a love story you can really sink into!
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (Bonzer)
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (dawnlovesbooks)
    Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Both novels offer a similar sort of wry look at the foibles of the English classes in the 18th / 19th centuries. Both are so carefully observed and deliciously written that they remain classics.
    The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (SandSing7)
    SandSing7: Wharton is as American as Austen is British. Read both works for a comparitive "across the pond" view on the novel of manners.
    Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (dawnlovesbooks)
    Excellent Women by Barbara Pym (carlym, dawnlovesbooks)
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (HollyMS)
    Some Tame Gazelle by Barbara Pym (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: Some Tame Gazelle was Barbara Pym's first book, but I would really recommend any of her works to admirers of Jane Austen. She has the same sensibility, the same grasp of the English social order and the English village, and populates her books with very similar people. But, more important, she has the same sense of humor, and the same marvelous touch with comedies of manners.… (more)
    The Cambridge Introduction to Jane Austen by Janet Todd (aynar)
    Diary of a Provincial Lady by E. M. Delafield (lydiabarr)
    lydiabarr: Austen and Delafield are often compared...both have shrewdly observational sense of humor and an elaborately deadpan style. I love them both.
    The Making of Pride and Prejudice (BBC) by Susie Conklin (aynar)
    Belinda by Maria Edgeworth (catherinestead)
    Helen by Maria Edgeworth (MissBrangwen)

1810s (1)

English (1,062)  Spanish (17)  Italian (11)  French (10)  Dutch (7)  Swedish (6)  Catalan (4)  German (4)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Danish (3)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Portuguese (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (1,131)
2 copies: one paperback; the other an ebook on my ipad (obtained Nov. 2018). This is not for me. Austen is admittedly and justly a famous author...My ranking is just my enjoyment of this book, not its worth. As a classic, it deserves a place as a very important book. However, my dislike of nineteenth century high society Britain, of nattering about politesse and what is appropriate or not, and the opinions of an upper class woman about who is an appropriate husband/ what makes a man a good catch just leave me cold. The anti-heroes also seem to be cardboard cutout figures: if you know what would put someone in a bad light, then that is what any particular negative character will do! Granted, the sycophant is well distinguished from the controlling and opinionated higher society woman, but my objection still stands: what would a sycophant do here? Then he does exactly that. The shrewish woman who bosses everyone around? Well, what could she do badly and she does just that! The man of evil but charming character? Well, once again, he does not vary from what such a man will always do. Too harsh? Probably...but like I said, this is just not my type of writing. Brilliantly done? Sure, on many levels...still do not want to read another book like it. ( )
  thedenathome | May 15, 2020 |
It was more or less what I expected, which is not a good thing. I had hoped that a classic piece of literature that seems so well regarded would have something for all readers. That was definitely not the case for me. My dislike is almost entirely due to the subject matter, which I found incredibly tiresome.

The one thing I got from reading this is that it is a book mainly about whiny, snooty bitches and their schemes to get married to rich men. I found nothing worthwhile here.

All that said, I will freely admit that for those that are into all of the romance, this might be an enjoyable story. After reading some of the other reviews for this book, I get the impression that there is some humor to be found if you are familiar with the historical context. Sadly, that is not the case for me, and I fear I did not gain any enjoyment from that aspect of the story either. ( )
  localstatic | May 4, 2020 |
Possible PopSugar Categories: Great first line, Seven deadly sins, At least 4 stars on GoodReads, 3 word title, Author in their 20's when written, Main character in their 20's.

I mean, what is there to say. I loved it. It was hard to read sometimes due to its density, but the end absolutely warmed my heart and I'm totally about to sit in bed and watch the Keira Knightley movie. ( )
  rachelreading | Apr 21, 2020 |
Welp, this one goes right onto the Absolute Favorite Novels list, most definitely. It's rare that I read a passage in a book that is so good I actually and honestly close said book, hug it to my chest, and sigh with literary happiness, but Darcy and Lizzie are so happy-sigh worthy and I'm equally in love with them both. All the characters are so excellently crafted, the story skips along at a perfect pace, and the writing is quality gorgeous. I. Loved. It. ( )
  scaifea | Apr 14, 2020 |
  scaifea | Apr 14, 2020 |
[Recensionen gäller en nyöversättning gjord av Gun-Britt Sundström]

...men ”Stolthet och fördom” är en glad roman, tack vare Elizabeth Bennets frejdiga humör och relativa frispråkighet. I Gun-Britt Sundströms nyöversättning ges gott om utrymme för tvetydigheten i hennes repliker, för skrattet som bubblar under ytan.

[Recensionen gäller en nyöversättning gjord av Gun-Britt Sundström]

När jag läser Sundströms översättning blir det för första gången tydligt för mig hur skickligt Austen tryfferar romanen med små överdrifter, sarkasmer, nålstick av spydighet, utan att läsaren för den skull tappar engagemanget i intrigen. Humorn gäller särskilt gestaltningen av bokens karikatyrer, Elizabeths ytliga och giriga mamma mrs Bennet och den fjäskige och inbilske mr Collins, den släkting som aspirerar på att överta familjegodset.

In Pride and Prejudice, Austen turned up the dial that controls the temperature of comedy, giving it some of the fever of what we would now call romance... For Elizabeth Bennet is the most frictionlessly adorable Heroine in the corpus – by some distance. And, as for the Hero, well, Miss Austen, for once in her short life, held nothing back: tall, dark, handsome, brooding, clever, noble, and profoundly rich...No reader can resist the brazen wishfulness of Pride and Prejudice, but it is clear from internal evidence alone that Austen never fully forgave herself for it...

Pride and Prejudice suckers you. Amazingly – and, I believe, uniquely – it goes on suckering you. Even now, as I open the book, I feel the same tizzy of unsatisfied expectation, despite five or six rereadings. How can this be, when the genre itself guarantees consummation? The simple answer is that these lovers really are ‘made for each other’ – by their creator. They are constructed for each other: interlocked for wedlock. Their marriage has to be.

Satírica, antirromántica, profunda y mordaz a un tiempo, la obra de Jane Austen nace de la observación de la vida doméstica y de un profundo conocimiento de la condición humana. Orgullo y prejuicio ha fascinado a generaciones de lectores por sus inolvidables personajes y su desopilante retrato de una sociedad, la Inglaterra victoriana y rural, tan contradictoria como absurda. Con la llegada del rico y apuesto señor Darcy a su región, las vidas de los Bennet y sus cinco hijas se vuelven del revés. El orgullo y la distancia social, la astucia y la hipocresía, los malentendidos y los juicios apresurados abocan a los personajes al escándalo y al dolor, pero también a la comprensión, el conocimiento y el amor verdadero. Esta edición presenta al lector una nueva traducción al castellano que devuelve todo su esplendor al ingenio y la finísima ironía de la prosa de Austen.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

I "would rather have written Pride and Prejudice, or Tom Jones, than any of the Waverley Novels"
added by GYKM | editGeorge Henry Lewes, George Henry Lewes

Pride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice / Mansfield Park / Persuasion by Jane Austen

Northanger Abbey/Pride and Prejudice/Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

The Complete Novels of Jane Austen by Jane Austen

Sense and Sensibility / Pride and Prejudice / Mansfield Park / Emma / Northanger Abbey / Persuasion by Jane Austen

Folio Society Jane Austen Set (Seven volume set: Emma; Mansfield Park; Northanger Abbey; Persuasion; Pride and Prejudice; Sense and Sensibility; Shorter Works) by Jane Austen

Emma / Persuasion / Pride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

The Annotated Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice / Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

Emma / Pride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice: An Annotated Edition by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice: A Longman Cultural Edition by Jane Austen

Emma/Mansfield Park/Northanger Abbey/Persuasion/Pride and Prejudice/Sense and Sensibility AND Catharine/Lady Susan/Sanditon/The Watsons by Jane Austen

A Sentimental Journey Through France and Italy; Pride and Prejudice by Laurence Sterne

Emma / Mansfield Park / Northanger Abbey / Persuasion / Pride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility / Lady Susan / Love and Friendship by Jane Austen

Mansfield Park / Pride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Emma / Northanger Abbey / Pride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice [Norton Critical Edition] by Jane Austen

Jane Austen: (Three Classic Novels) Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Emma by Jane Austen

The Novels and Letters of Jane Austen, Vol. 03 by Jane Austen

The Novels and Letters of Jane Austen, Vol. 04 by Jane Austen

Word Cloud Box Set: Lavender by Charlotte Brontë

Northanger Abbey/Pride and Prejudice/Sense and Sensibility AND Juvenilia by Jane Austen

Four English Novels by J. B. Priestley

Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg

The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet by Bernie Su

Ayesha At Last: A Novel by Uzma Jalaluddin

Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy: The Last Man in the World by Abigail Reynolds

Impulse & Initiative: What if Mr. Darcy had Set Out to Win Elizabeth's Heart? by Abigail Reynolds

The Private Diary of Mr. Darcy by Maya Slater

The Confession of Fitzwilliam Darcy by Mary Street

Heartstone by Elle Katharine White

Pemberley by the Sea: A modern love story, Pride and Prejudice style by Abigail Reynolds

Vanity and Vexation: A Novel of Pride and Prejudice by Kate Fenton

Without Reserve by Abigail Reynolds

Pemberley Ranch by Jack Caldwell

Imperfect Bliss by Susan Fales-Hill

The Forgotten Sister by Jennifer Paynter

Pride/Prejudice: A Novel of Mr. Darcy, Elizabeth Bennet, and Their Forbidden Lovers by Ann Herendeen

First Impressions: A Tale of Less Pride & Prejudice by Alexa Adams

First Impressions: An Amish Tale of Pride and Prejudice (The Amish Classics) by Sarah Price

The Diary of Henry Fitzwilliam Darcy by Marjorie Fasman

Mr. & Mrs. Fitzwilliam Darcy by Sharon Lathan

The Second Mrs. Darcy by Elizabeth Pewsey

The Pemberley Chronicles by Rebecca Ann Collins

Presumption by Julia Barrett

The Darcys & the Bingleys: A Tale of Two Gentlemen's Marriages to Two Most Devoted Sisters by Marsha Altman

Letters from Pemberley: The First Year by Jane Dawkins

Mr. Darcy Presents His Bride by Helen Halstead

Lydia Bennet's Story: A Sequel to Pride and Prejudice by Jane Odiwe

Loving Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

From Lambton to Longbourn by Abigail Reynolds

Lady Catherine's Necklace by Joan Aiken

Charlotte Collins: A Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Jennifer Becton

My Dearest Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

Pemberley Shades by D. A. Bonavia-Hunt

In the Arms of Mr. Darcy (Pride & Prejudice Continues) by Sharon Lathan

Mrs. Darcy's Dilemma: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Diana Birchall

Consequence by Elizabeth Newark

The Trouble with Mr. Darcy: Pride and Prejudice continues... (Pride & Prejudice Continues) by Sharon Lathan

Mr. Darcy's Little Sister by C. Allyn Pierson

Mr. Darcy's Decision: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Juliette Shapiro

Mr. Darcy's Secret by Jane Odiwe

Darcy and Fitzwilliam: A tale of a gentleman and an officer by Karen Wasylowski

Miss Darcy Falls in Love by Sharon Lathan

The Unexpected Miss Bennet by Patrice Sarath

Excessively Diverted: The Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Juliette Shapiro

Conviction: A Sequel To Jane Austen's Pride And Prejudice by Skylar Hamilton Burris

Pride and Pyramids: Mr. Darcy in Egypt by Amanda Grange

The Three Colonels: Jane Austen's Fighting Men by Jack Caldwell

Assumed Engagement by Kara Louise

Christmas at Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Holiday Sequel by Regina Jeffers

The Ballad of Gregoire Darcy by Marsha Altman

The Disappearance of Georgiana Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice Mystery (Pride & Prejudice Mysteries) by Regina Jeffers

Teverton Hall by Jane Gillespie

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
The power of doing anything with quickness is always prized much by the possessor, and often without any attention to the imperfection of the performance.
Do not be afraid of my running into any excess, of my encroaching on your privilege of universal good will. You need not. There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense.
"In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."
"I wonder who first discovered the efficacy of poetry in driving away love!"
Though Lydia's short letter to Mrs. F. gave them to understand that they were going to Gretna Green, something was dropped by Denny expressing his belief that W. never intended to go there, or to marry Lydia at all, which was repeated to Colonel F., who, instantly taking the alarm, set off from B. intending to trace their route. He did trace them easily to Clapham, but no farther; for on entering that place they removed into a hackney-coach and dismissed the chaise that brought them from Epsom. All that is known after this is that they were seen to continue the London road. I know not what to think. After making every possible enquiry on that side London, Colonel F. came on into Hertfordshire, anxiously renewing them at all the turnpikes, and at the inns in Barnet and Hatfield, but without any success; no such people had been seen to pass through. With the kindest concern he came on to Longbourn, and broke his apprehensions to us in a manner most creditable to his heart.

Austen’s most celebrated novel tells the story of Elizabeth Bennet, a bright, lively young woman with four sisters, and a mother determined to marry them to wealthy men. At a party near the Bennets’ home in the English countryside, Elizabeth meets the wealthy, proud Fitzwilliam Darcy. Elizabeth initially finds Darcy haughty and intolerable, but circumstances continue to unite the pair. Mr. Darcy finds himself captivated by Elizabeth’s wit and candor, while her reservations about his character slowly vanish. The story is as much a social critique as it is a love story, and the prose crackles with Austen’s wry wit.
One of five women,
Finding a man for herself
with wit, pride and love.
(DeusXMachina)

9 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439513, 0141028106, 0451530780, 0143105426, 0141037512, 0141329734, 0141199075, 0143123165, 0734306229

Solis Press

An edition of this book was published by Solis Press.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

2 editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1449879225, 1449879233

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175064, 1909175005

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,377,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible