Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice (original 1813; edition 1991)

by Jane Austen

Info:The Folio Society (1991), hardcover
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, UK, England, 1810s, society, humour, favourite

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (1813)

Emma by Jane Austen (CeciP)
    The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (carlym)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (nu-bibliophile)
    Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Beatrice and Benedick & Lizzie and Darcy- there are some similarties! This is my favorite of Shakespeare's comedies! Two characters who love to spar with words, 2 couples who love each other, and a bad guy! Perfect mix...
    The Annotated Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (humouress)
    humouress: For those who love Pride and Prejudice, and want to know more about the context it was written in, the annotated version adds depth to Jane Austen's work.
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (amanaceerdh)
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (BookishRuth, Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Mr. Darcy and Mr. Thornton are both of the same cloth, a love story you can really sink into!
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Both novels offer a similar sort of wry look at the foibles of the English classes in the 18th / 19th centuries. Both are so carefully observed and deliciously written that they remain classics.
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (Bonzer)
    The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (SandSing7)
    SandSing7: Wharton is as American as Austen is British. Read both works for a comparitive "across the pond" view on the novel of manners.
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (amanaceerdh)
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (Hollerama)
    Some Tame Gazelle by Barbara Pym (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: Some Tame Gazelle was Barbara Pym's first book, but I would really recommend any of her works to admirers of Jane Austen. She has the same sensibility, the same grasp of the English social order and the English village, and populates her books with very similar people. But, more important, she has the same sense of humor, and the same marvelous touch with comedies of manners.… (more)
    Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith (Jen7waters)
    Jen7waters: Although one is fantasy and the other isn't, Meliara has with Vidanric, the same problem Lizzy has with Darcy: prejudice. She keeps wanting to bite his head off when all he does is help her. Love them all!
    Excellent Women by Barbara Pym (carlym, amanaceerdh)
    Belinda by Maria Edgeworth (CatyM)
    Helen by Maria Edgeworth (MissBrangwen)
    Doctor Thorne by Anthony Trollope (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: Trollope has an Austenesque eye for his characters' motivations and inconsistencies, and his Mary Thorne and Austen's Elizabeth Bennett have much in common. Both are persecuted on the basis of low birth and lack of wealth by an older female relative of their love interest. Both novels are thoroughly enjoyable!… (more)
    Diary of a Provincial Lady by E. M. Delafield (lydiabarr)
    lydiabarr: Austen and Delafield are often compared...both have shrewdly observational sense of humor and an elaborately deadpan style. I love them both.

English (813)  Spanish (10)  Italian (10)  Dutch (7)  French (7)  Swedish (6)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Catalan (3)  German (3)  Danish (3)  Portuguese (1)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (869)
This is one of my all-time favorite books. She was way ahead of her time! ( )
  Nancy_Golinski | Sep 27, 2014 |
READ IN ENGLISH

It is a truth universally acknowledged that writing a review on Pride and Prejudice isn't an easy task.

Especially when you're not really enthusiastic about it. I have to admit, I had to read it for my English literature class, and I think that ruined the book for me. I had to read it, and therefore it could no longer be a good book (I know it shouldn't work like that, but it isn't something you choose really.)

So I started reading, and one week later (and two days to my deadline) I had read about 20 pages. Impressive, huh? So the next day I forced myself into reading the rest of the book, and I succeeded, but I must have missed so much of what actually makes this a good book, because now, I didn't like it. ( )
  Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorite books by Jane Austen. Darcy experiences a great change in attitude from beginning to end. He is not a likable character at first. Elizabeth is one of my favorite heroines. She doesn't like the entailment of the family home away from the women of the family. This book makes me travel to far away thoughts of what it was like to live in the Regency period with its elegance and its ridiculousness. Within this novel you can see bits satire of the state of how women choose a husband and have to have a husband to survive. I will always read this book again and again no matter what. ( )
  CheyenneKeith | Sep 21, 2014 |
A obra literária de Jane Austen deu ao romance inglês o primeiro impulso para a modernidade, ao tratar do cotidiano de pessoas comuns. De aguda percepção psicológica, seu estilo destila sempre uma ironia sutil, dissimulada pela leveza da narrativa. 'Orgulho e Preconceito' (1797) é a obra mais conhecida da autora. Jane Austen mostrou como o amor entre os protagonistas era capaz de superar barreiras de orgulho e preconceito, a diferença social entre eles e o escasso poder de decisão concedido à mulher na sociedade da época. A crítica veio a considerá-la a primeira romancista moderna da literatura inglesa.
  melissa.gamador | Sep 9, 2014 |
I cannot lie: I think this book is really cute. It’s like me and romantic comedies: I imagine them to be stupid and shallow but I end up being taken in by them and their predictable plot developments. But I guess Pride and Prejudice is not your average romantic comedy, although it may very well be the origin of the modern romantic comedy.

Chances are you’ve heard of Mr. Darcy if you have ever heard a somewhat literate teenage girl talk or have ever been to a romance section of a bookstore. I was worried because of this that I was about to step into the early 19th century version of Twilight, but I should have more faith in my classic literature because not only is it cute, which is probably a terrible adjective to give to pieces of classic literature, but it is also witty and smart. Of course it is. I guess you could say that I was prejudiced against this book. Oh ho ho.

Austen is brilliant. I was not prepared in the slightest for discovering her mastery of character. Mr. Collins is a fantastic creation, and every single character was believable and delightful. Reading this book is plain fun, and I am honestly looking forward to picking up another novel of hers. Perhaps Emma. ( )
  sighedtosleep | Sep 1, 2014 |
I "would rather have written Pride and Prejudice, or Tom Jones, than any of the Waverley Novels"
added by GYKM | editGeorge Henry Lewes, George Henry Lewes

From Lambton to Longbourn by Abigail Reynolds

Loving Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

Lady Catherine's Necklace by Joan Aiken

Pemberley Shades by D. A. Bonavia-Hunt

Charlotte Collins: A Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Jennifer Becton

Mrs. Darcy's Dilemma: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Diana Birchall

My Dearest Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

In the Arms of Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

Consequence by Elizabeth Newark

Mr. Darcy's Little Sister by C. Allyn Pierson

The Trouble with Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

Excessively Diverted: The Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Juliette Shapiro

Mr. Darcy's Decision: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Juliette Shapiro

Conviction: A Sequel To Jane Austen's Pride And Prejudice by Skylar Hamilton Burris

The Unexpected Miss Bennet by Patrice Sarath

Christmas at Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Holiday Sequel by Regina Jeffers

Teverton Hall by Jane Gillespie

The Ballad of Gregoire Darcy by Marsha Altman

Second Impressions by Ava Farmer

The Disappearance of Georgiana Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice Mystery by Regina Jeffers

Pemberley Revisited by Emma Tennant

Illusions and Ignorance: Mary Bennet's Story by S. E. Ward

The Journey by Jan Hahn

Deborah PP by Jane Gillespie

Colonel Fitzwilliam's Correspondence: Fitzwilliam Darcy's cousin, the Colonel is bound for war on the Peninsula. Is there love in his future while war is waged across Europe? by D. W. Wilkin

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
The power of doing anything with quickness is always prized much by the possessor, and often without any attention to the imperfection of the performance.
Do not be afraid of my running into any excess, of my encroaching on your privilege of universal good will. You need not. There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense.
"In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."
"I wonder who first discovered the efficacy of poetry in driving away love!"
Though Lydia's short letter to Mrs. F. gave them to understand that they were going to Gretna Green, something was dropped by Denny expressing his belief that W. never intended to go there, or to marry Lydia at all, which was repeated to Colonel F., who, instantly taking the alarm, set off from B. intending to trace their route. He did trace them easily to Clapham, but no farther; for on entering that place they removed into a hackney-coach and dismissed the chaise that brought them from Epsom. All that is known after this is that they were seen to continue the London road. I know not what to think. After making every possible enquiry on that side London, Colonel F. came on into Hertfordshire, anxiously renewing them at all the turnpikes, and at the inns in Barnet and Hatfield, but without any success; no such people had been seen to pass through. With the kindest concern he came on to Longbourn, and broke his apprehensions to us in a manner most creditable to his heart.
Austen’s most celebrated novel tells the story of Elizabeth Bennet, a bright, lively young woman with four sisters, and a mother determined to marry them to wealthy men. At a party near the Bennets’ home in the English countryside, Elizabeth meets the wealthy, proud Fitzwilliam Darcy. Elizabeth initially finds Darcy haughty and intolerable, but circumstances continue to unite the pair. Mr. Darcy finds himself captivated by Elizabeth’s wit and candor, while her reservations about his character slowly vanish. The story is as much a social critique as it is a love story, and the prose crackles with Austen’s wry wit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553213105, Mass Market Paperback)

Elizabeth Bennet is the perfect Austen heroine: intelligent, generous, sensible, incapable of jealousy or any other major sin. That makes her sound like an insufferable goody-goody, but the truth is she's a completely hip character, who if provoked is not above skewering her antagonist with a piece of her exceptionally sharp -- but always polite -- 18th century wit. The point is, you spend the whole book absolutely fixated on the critical question: will Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy hook up?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:33 -0400)

In early nineteenth-century England, Elizabeth Bennett, a spirited young woman copes with the romantic entanglements of her four sisters, and her feelings for Fitzwilliam Darcy, a brooding gentleman.

Thirteen editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439513, 0141439580, 014025157X, 0141028106, 0451530780, 0143105426, 0141037512, 0141037504, 0141329734, 1408248816, 0141199075, 0143123165, 0734306229

Solis Press

An edition of this book was published by Solis Press.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Recorded Books

Two editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1449879225, 1449879233

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,974,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible