Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice (original 1813; edition 1991)

by Jane Austen

Info:The Folio Society (1991), hardcover
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, UK, England, 1810s, society, humour, favourite

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (1813)

Emma by Jane Austen (CeciP)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (nu-bibliophile)
    The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (carlym)
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Beatrice and Benedick & Lizzie and Darcy- there are some similarties! This is my favorite of Shakespeare's comedies! Two characters who love to spar with words, 2 couples who love each other, and a bad guy! Perfect mix...
    The Annotated Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (humouress)
    humouress: For those who love Pride and Prejudice, and want to know more about the context it was written in, the annotated version adds depth to Jane Austen's work.
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (amanaceerdh)
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (BookishRuth, Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Mr. Darcy and Mr. Thornton are both of the same cloth, a love story you can really sink into!
    Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Both novels offer a similar sort of wry look at the foibles of the English classes in the 18th / 19th centuries. Both are so carefully observed and deliciously written that they remain classics.
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (Bonzer)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (amanaceerdh)
    The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (SandSing7)
    SandSing7: Wharton is as American as Austen is British. Read both works for a comparitive "across the pond" view on the novel of manners.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (Hollerama)
    Some Tame Gazelle by Barbara Pym (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: Some Tame Gazelle was Barbara Pym's first book, but I would really recommend any of her works to admirers of Jane Austen. She has the same sensibility, the same grasp of the English social order and the English village, and populates her books with very similar people. But, more important, she has the same sense of humor, and the same marvelous touch with comedies of manners.… (more)
    Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith (Jen7waters)
    Jen7waters: Although one is fantasy and the other isn't, Meliara has with Vidanric, the same problem Lizzy has with Darcy: prejudice. She keeps wanting to bite his head off when all he does is help her. Love them all!
    The Cambridge Introduction to Jane Austen by Janet Todd (aynar)
    Excellent Women by Barbara Pym (carlym, amanaceerdh)
    Belinda by Maria Edgeworth (CatyM)
    Helen by Maria Edgeworth (MissBrangwen)
    Longbourn by Jo Baker (julienne_preacher)

Unread books (1,012)

English (826)  Spanish (10)  Italian (10)  Dutch (7)  French (7)  Swedish (6)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Catalan (3)  German (3)  Danish (3)  Portuguese (1)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (882)
I have loved watching the movies based on the Jane Austen novels and finally got around to reading Pride and Prejudice and really enjoyed it! I look forward to reading more of her novels. ( )
  CILLYart4U | Feb 16, 2015 |
What a classic. No matter how many times you read it, it never gets old. Though not quite as good as Sense & Sensibility (in my humble opinion), I still "greatly esteem" this book. Mr. Darcy is and always will be my favorite fictional character. Thank you Mr. Darcy for setting the bar so high that I know without a doubt I will die a lonely cat lady surrounded by empty boxes of wine. Pride & Prejudice can be summed up in one sentence, "Two people who strongly dislike each other end up falling madly in love despite their initial prejudices." Even though I spoiled the entire plot for you, you should still read it. Ladies, you will have new standards for men and gentlemen... you will hopefully learn how to properly woo a lady. Also... the only movie Mr. Darcy to nail it is Colin Firth, don't even try to argue with me on that one! ( )
  ecataldi | Feb 3, 2015 |
I prefered the movie ( )
  giacomo.mallaci | Jan 29, 2015 |
This was not my first reading of P&P and I think I got more out of it since I already had a taste of the wonderful language that Austen writes with. Her original title of the book was to be First Impressions and that does encapsulate the story. Mr. Darcy is first seen as aloof and preoccupied with himself and Mr. Wickham was viewed as charming and a good prospect. Lady Catherine sees the Bennet girls as gold diggers. It takes most of the book for their true personalities to emerge.

It was common that the first story one of the characters heard about an event was taken as gospel and it was difficult to come to terms with the truth at times, much to the embarrassment of the one who was lied to. The Bennets were filled with false stories about Mr. Darcy and it took great effort on his part, gallantry, and unselfish acts to make Elizabeth see that he was completely worthy of her love.

One of the things that I found interesting was the total dismissal of Mary, the middle child, who was more interested in books than boys. I think she only had one speaking scene in the whole book. The older two were beautiful and mature, as close as any two friends could be. The youngest two were absolutely frivolous and unthinking, the complete opposite of the oldest two. Interesting, too, is the fact that Mr. Bennet, who prefers nothing more than to be left alone in his library, is closer to Elizabeth, where one might expect him to relate best with Mary.

Mrs. Bennet is full of emotions, swinging from utter joy to total despair and back again at the drop of a hat. She is more concerned about her own place in society and how the girls' marriages will affect that than in their happiness and security. How Jane and Elizabeth became as upstanding as they did in this environment is a mystery.

At the core of the story is the English system of entailing. No matter how many heirs a man has, property can only be passed on to male progeny, and the house that the Bennets occupy falls to this. Mr. and Mrs. Bennet tried, unsuccessfully, five times, to produce a male heir. They face the possibility of losing the property to a male cousin, Mr. Collins, upon the death of Mr. Bennet, leaving Mrs. Bennet and any unmarried daughters out in the cold. This story takes place when Mrs. Bennet is trying her utmost to get her daughters married to men with a decent income to ensure their comfort.

For anyone (all three of you) who has not read an Austen novel yet, do not be overwhelmed by the language. Yes, she uses many more words to convey meaning than we do today, but they are beautiful and melodious.
  mamzel | Jan 27, 2015 |
My favourite of the classical literature I've read. I've only read it 7 times, though. Nothing too ridiculous. Elizabeth Bennet is the perfect, smart, self-possessed heroine. ( )
  dukedukegoose | Jan 26, 2015 |
I "would rather have written Pride and Prejudice, or Tom Jones, than any of the Waverley Novels"
added by GYKM | editGeorge Henry Lewes, George Henry Lewes

Loving Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

From Lambton to Longbourn by Abigail Reynolds

Lady Catherine's Necklace by Joan Aiken

Pemberley Shades by D. A. Bonavia-Hunt

Charlotte Collins: A Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Jennifer Becton

My Dearest Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

Mrs. Darcy's Dilemma: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Diana Birchall

Consequence by Elizabeth Newark

In the Arms of Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

The Trouble with Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

Mr. Darcy's Little Sister by C. Allyn Pierson

Excessively Diverted: The Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Juliette Shapiro

Mr. Darcy's Decision: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Juliette Shapiro

Conviction: A Sequel To Jane Austen's Pride And Prejudice by Skylar Hamilton Burris

Darcy and Fitzwilliam: A tale of a gentleman and an officer by Karen Wasylowski

Christmas at Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Holiday Sequel by Regina Jeffers

Teverton Hall by Jane Gillespie

The Ballad of Gregoire Darcy by Marsha Altman

Second Impressions by Ava Farmer

The Disappearance of Georgiana Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice Mystery by Regina Jeffers

Pemberley Revisited by Emma Tennant

Illusions and Ignorance: Mary Bennet's Story by S. E. Ward

The Journey by Jan Hahn

Deborah PP by Jane Gillespie

Colonel Fitzwilliam's Correspondence: Fitzwilliam Darcy's cousin, the Colonel is bound for war on the Peninsula. Is there love in his future while war is waged across Europe? by D. W. Wilkin

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
The power of doing anything with quickness is always prized much by the possessor, and often without any attention to the imperfection of the performance.
Do not be afraid of my running into any excess, of my encroaching on your privilege of universal good will. You need not. There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense.
"In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."
"I wonder who first discovered the efficacy of poetry in driving away love!"
Though Lydia's short letter to Mrs. F. gave them to understand that they were going to Gretna Green, something was dropped by Denny expressing his belief that W. never intended to go there, or to marry Lydia at all, which was repeated to Colonel F., who, instantly taking the alarm, set off from B. intending to trace their route. He did trace them easily to Clapham, but no farther; for on entering that place they removed into a hackney-coach and dismissed the chaise that brought them from Epsom. All that is known after this is that they were seen to continue the London road. I know not what to think. After making every possible enquiry on that side London, Colonel F. came on into Hertfordshire, anxiously renewing them at all the turnpikes, and at the inns in Barnet and Hatfield, but without any success; no such people had been seen to pass through. With the kindest concern he came on to Longbourn, and broke his apprehensions to us in a manner most creditable to his heart.
ISBN 0141024038 is a Penguin Books edition of Pride and Prejudice.
Austen’s most celebrated novel tells the story of Elizabeth Bennet, a bright, lively young woman with four sisters, and a mother determined to marry them to wealthy men. At a party near the Bennets’ home in the English countryside, Elizabeth meets the wealthy, proud Fitzwilliam Darcy. Elizabeth initially finds Darcy haughty and intolerable, but circumstances continue to unite the pair. Mr. Darcy finds himself captivated by Elizabeth’s wit and candor, while her reservations about his character slowly vanish. The story is as much a social critique as it is a love story, and the prose crackles with Austen’s wry wit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553213105, Mass Market Paperback)

Elizabeth Bennet is the perfect Austen heroine: intelligent, generous, sensible, incapable of jealousy or any other major sin. That makes her sound like an insufferable goody-goody, but the truth is she's a completely hip character, who if provoked is not above skewering her antagonist with a piece of her exceptionally sharp -- but always polite -- 18th century wit. The point is, you spend the whole book absolutely fixated on the critical question: will Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy hook up?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:33 -0400)

In early nineteenth-century England, Elizabeth Bennett, a spirited young woman copes with the romantic entanglements of her four sisters, and her feelings for Fitzwilliam Darcy, a brooding gentleman.

Current discussions

Discussion Thread: Pride and Prejudice in 2015 Category Challenge

13 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439513, 0141439580, 014025157X, 0141028106, 0451530780, 0143105426, 0141037512, 0141037504, 0141329734, 1408248816, 0141199075, 0143123165, 0734306229

Solis Press

An edition of this book was published by Solis Press.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Recorded Books

2 editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1449879225, 1449879233

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,717,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible