Pride and Prejudice (Wordsworth Classics) by…

Pride and Prejudice (Wordsworth Classics) (original 1813; edition 1992)

by Jane Austen

55,77510178 (4.42)7 / 3372
Member:fotty
Title:Pride and Prejudice (Wordsworth Classics)
Authors:Jane Austen
Info:Wordsworth Editions Ltd (1992), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 329 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:read, dunedin, classic

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (1813)

Emma by Jane Austen (CeciP)
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (nu-bibliophile)
    Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Beatrice and Benedick & Lizzie and Darcy- there are some similarties! This is my favorite of Shakespeare's comedies! Two characters who love to spar with words, 2 couples who love each other, and a bad guy! Perfect mix...
    The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (carlym)
    The Annotated Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (humouress)
    humouress: For those who love Pride and Prejudice, and want to know more about the context it was written in, the annotated version adds depth to Jane Austen's work.
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (BookishRuth, Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Mr. Darcy and Mr. Thornton are both of the same cloth, a love story you can really sink into!
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (Bonzer)
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (amanaceerdh)
    Cranford: Illustrated by Elizabeth Gaskell (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Both novels offer a similar sort of wry look at the foibles of the English classes in the 18th / 19th centuries. Both are so carefully observed and deliciously written that they remain classics.
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (amanaceerdh)
    The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (SandSing7)
    SandSing7: Wharton is as American as Austen is British. Read both works for a comparitive "across the pond" view on the novel of manners.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (HollyMS)
    Excellent Women by Barbara Pym (carlym, amanaceerdh)
    The Cambridge Introduction to Jane Austen by Janet Todd (aynar)
    Some Tame Gazelle by Barbara Pym (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: Some Tame Gazelle was Barbara Pym's first book, but I would really recommend any of her works to admirers of Jane Austen. She has the same sensibility, the same grasp of the English social order and the English village, and populates her books with very similar people. But, more important, she has the same sense of humor, and the same marvelous touch with comedies of manners.… (more)
    The Making of Pride and Prejudice (BBC) by Susie Conklin (aynar)
    Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier (lucyknows)
    Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith (Jen7waters)
    Jen7waters: Although one is fantasy and the other isn't, Meliara has with Vidanric, the same problem Lizzy has with Darcy: prejudice. She keeps wanting to bite his head off when all he does is help her. Love them all!
    Helen by Maria Edgeworth (MissBrangwen)

1810s (1)

English (952)  Spanish (16)  Italian (12)  French (7)  Dutch (7)  Swedish (6)  Catalan (4)  All (3)  Danish (3)  German (3)  Portuguese (1)  Norwegian (1)  All (1)  Finnish (1)  All (1,017)
My favourite book. The only book I have read twice -so far. ( )
  kbritt-badman | May 22, 2017 |
I've had aspirations of read classic novels for awhile now and a few years back I started collecting classic novels. Whenever I was at a book store or a book sale, I'd rummage through the classics and see what I could find that looked interesting or I've heard of, seen referenced in other books that I've read. Of course, in grade school we did "read" classics and my English Honors Class did nothing but read classics but subconsciously I must detest authority because I skimmed enough to pass the exams and write my papers but never read enough to remember the plots later on in life nor thoroughly enough to enjoy them as they are meant to be.

So I've had Pride and Prejudice sitting on my book shelf waiting to be read for a few years now and honestly, I did not have the inclination to start the novel but one day at work while I was on the Internet, I decided to look up public domain books and had saved the link for Pride and Prejudice in my favorites in case I need something to read. Well, that someday came much sooner then I expected and I was very much engrossed in the story within the first few pages (Clicks). Immediately when I got home, I hunted down my dusty copy of Pride and Prejudice and continued reading from where I left off at work. I spent the entire night reading it and finished it in one night.

I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. I tend to perceive older books as slow and the writing too archaic for me, personally, to find a good reading rhythm. I also like fast paced novels and Classics tend not to be that. However, that was not the case with Pride and Prejudice and that's a really good thing because now it's inspired me to pick up another classic novel as soon as I finish the books I've checked out from the library. ( )
  jthao_02 | May 18, 2017 |
The Novels of Jane Austen The Text based on Collation of the Early Editions by r. W. Chapman In Five Volumes Volume II Third Edition
  Buttercup25 | May 17, 2017 |
Recently, I came to a resolution to read the novels of Jane Austen. This was a significant gap; the only Austen novel that I had read previously was "Persuasion," which I had read in college and enjoyed more than I had expected. Around the same time, I discovered the Folio Society, and seeing that they were in the midst of publishing an elegantly designed series of Jane Austen's novels, I decided to take the opportunity and read them in this edition. The Folio Society's current edition of Jane Austen's novels started in 2013 with "Pride and Persuasion," so I started with this novel.

I have seen articles and lists in contemporary refer to Jane Austen's language as "old-fashioned" or "archaic," but this reader did not find that to be the case. The English language has not changed very much in the past two hundred years, and Austen's prose still reads clearly. The only two "hiccups" that I noticed were, first, that there are occasional uses of terms or phrases that are not currently used in the same manner (or at least not in the United States, where I live), but these usages can be inferred from context. Second, Austen's sentence structure is often longer and more complicated than is common today. I occasionally reread a sentence when I did not fully understand its structure on the first read. The tone of the novel is familiar and witty, and the narrator generally follows the perspective of the protagonist, Elizabeth Bennet.

I do not like to discuss plot details too deeply in reviews, so it will suffice to say that this is a social novel, and the plot deals with relationships and social interactions; the events arise from the effort of Elizabeth's mother, Mrs. Bennet, to find husbands for her daughters, but ultimately are driven more by Elizabeth herself, and her own character and decisions. The book is divided into three volumes. These are chronological/plot divisions, but also correlate with geographic changes. The characters are interesting and often amusing, as Austen's comic characterization of many of the characters drives the novel's humor. At various times in the story, the novel uses letters between the characters to drive the plot and provide the perspective of characters other than Elizabeth.

The resolution of the plot and the various subplots are driven by the relationships of the characters in question. I enjoyed seeing these relationships develop, and I enjoyed the picture of early nineteenth century English society that the novel provides. As this is a well-regarded classic novel, I probably do not need to say this, but I recommend it. My copy was the 2013 Folio Society edition - for anyone considering this edition, it is a lovely, well-bound edition, with excellent illustrations by the Balbusso sisters. ( )
  sviswanathan | May 1, 2017 |
This is only the second Jane Austen novel I have read. My friends Sarah B. and Tina D., totally unintroduced friends, both sent me reminders that PBS was airing The Complete Jane Austen on Sunday nights. Sarah has been trying to get me to wach "Pride and Prejudice" for at least a year after she found out that I own the VHS set of the A&E adaption of the book.

Finally I broke down and started watching the movie. Immediately I fell in love with Elizabeth Bennett and Jane Bennett and Mr. Darcy. How could I not? The characters in the movie were so well played and defined by their actors.

Eager to keep up with the movie, I picked up my very worn copy of P&P that I picked up at the Alachua County Friends of the Library Book Sale. The book was crumbling and smelled old and musty. That did not deter me from falling into the daily lives of Jane and Elizabeth, of furrowing my eyebrows at Mr. Darcy's rudeness, shuddering in embarrassment whenever Lydia appeared at all, or cringing whenever Mr. Collins opened his mouth.

Not being used to the language, I did struggle while reading the book. But after awhile I started to understand. It's like watching Shakespeare - at first things seem confused, but as you keep watching, you begin to understand.

By the end of the book I was enthralled and did not want the adventures or the lives of the characters to end at the last page. I emailed Sarah and Tina both to ask what they thought happened to Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth - did they have a good marriage? was it a passionate marriage? did they share inside jokes and take walks around Pemberly?

After reading P&P I tried to read "Girl Interupted", but I found that I just had no interest. I wanted more Jane. Even an old fall back, entertaining author like Stephen King could not hold my interest. Now I am reading Northanger Abbey. ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
[Recensionen gäller en nyöversättning gjord av Gun-Britt Sundström]

...men ”Stolthet och fördom” är en glad roman, tack vare Elizabeth Bennets frejdiga humör och relativa frispråkighet. I Gun-Britt Sundströms nyöversättning ges gott om utrymme för tvetydigheten i hennes repliker, för skrattet som bubblar under ytan.

[Recensionen gäller en nyöversättning gjord av Gun-Britt Sundström]

När jag läser Sundströms översättning blir det för första gången tydligt för mig hur skickligt Austen tryfferar romanen med små överdrifter, sarkasmer, nålstick av spydighet, utan att läsaren för den skull tappar engagemanget i intrigen. Humorn gäller särskilt gestaltningen av bokens karikatyrer, Elizabeths ytliga och giriga mamma mrs Bennet och den fjäskige och inbilske mr Collins, den släkting som aspirerar på att överta familjegodset.

Satírica, antirromántica, profunda y mordaz a un tiempo, la obra de Jane Austen nace de la observación de la vida doméstica y de un profundo conocimiento de la condición humana. Orgullo y prejuicio ha fascinado a generaciones de lectores por sus inolvidables personajes y su desopilante retrato de una sociedad, la Inglaterra victoriana y rural, tan contradictoria como absurda. Con la llegada del rico y apuesto señor Darcy a su región, las vidas de los Bennet y sus cinco hijas se vuelven del revés. El orgullo y la distancia social, la astucia y la hipocresía, los malentendidos y los juicios apresurados abocan a los personajes al escándalo y al dolor, pero también a la comprensión, el conocimiento y el amor verdadero. Esta edición presenta al lector una nueva traducción al castellano que devuelve todo su esplendor al ingenio y la finísima ironía de la prosa de Austen.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

I "would rather have written Pride and Prejudice, or Tom Jones, than any of the Waverley Novels"
added by GYKM | editGeorge Henry Lewes, George Henry Lewes

Pride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Jane Austen: Pride and Prejudice Mansfield Park Persuasion by Jane Austen

Northanger Abbey/Pride and Prejudice/Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

The Complete Novels (including Lady Susan) by Jane Austen

Emma / Mansfield Park / Northanger Abbey / Persuasion / Pride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Folio Society Jane Austen Set (Seven volume set: Emma; Mansfield Park; Northanger Abbey; Persuasion; Pride and Prejudice; Sense and Sensibility; Shorter Works) by Jane Austen

Emma / Persuasion / Pride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

The Annotated Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice / Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

Emma/Pride and Prejudice/Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice: An Annotated Edition by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice: A Longman Cultural Edition by Jane Austen

Emma/Mansfield Park/Northanger Abbey/Persuasion/Pride and Prejudice/Sense and Sensibility AND Catharine/Lady Susan/Sanditon/The Watsons by Jane Austen

A Sentimental Journey Through France and Italy; Pride and Prejudice by Charles William Eliot

Emma / Mansfield Park / Northanger Abbey / Persuasion / Pride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility / Lady Susan / Love and Friendship by Jane Austen

Mansfield Park / Pride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Jane Austen: Four Novels by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice [Norton Critical Edition] by Jane Austen

Jane Austen: (Three Classic Novels) Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Emma by Jane Austen

The Novels and Letters of Jane Austen, Vol. 03 by Jane Austen

The Novels and Letters of Jane Austen, Vol. 04 by Jane Austen

The complete Jane Austen [box set]: Emma / Northanger Abbey / Persuasion / Prride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility / Lady Susan / The Watsons / Sanditon / Mansfield Park by Jane Austen

The complete novels of Jane Auste [box set] by Jane Austen

Mr. Darcy Presents His Bride by Helen Halstead

Lydia Bennet's Story: A Sequel to Pride and Prejudice by Jane Odiwe

Loving Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

From Lambton to Longbourn by Abigail Reynolds

Charlotte Collins: A Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Jennifer Becton

Lady Catherine's Necklace by Joan Aiken

Pemberley Shades by D. A. Bonavia-Hunt

My Dearest Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

In the Arms of Mr. Darcy (Pride & Prejudice Continues) by Sharon Lathan

Mrs. Darcy's Dilemma: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Diana Birchall

Consequence by Elizabeth Newark

Mr. Darcy's Little Sister by C. Allyn Pierson

The Trouble with Mr. Darcy: Pride and Prejudice continues... (Pride & Prejudice Continues) by Sharon Lathan

Mr. Darcy's Decision: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Juliette Shapiro

Mr. Darcy's Secret by Jane Odiwe

Excessively Diverted: The Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Juliette Shapiro

Darcy and Fitzwilliam: A tale of a gentleman and an officer by Karen Wasylowski

The Unexpected Miss Bennet by Patrice Sarath

Miss Darcy Falls in Love by Sharon Lathan

Conviction: A Sequel To Jane Austen's Pride And Prejudice by Skylar Hamilton Burris

The Three Colonels: Jane Austen's Fighting Men by Jack Caldwell

Assumed Engagement by Kara Louise

Pride and Pyramids: Mr. Darcy in Egypt by Amanda Grange

Christmas at Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Holiday Sequel by Regina Jeffers

Teverton Hall by Jane Gillespie

The Ballad of Gregoire Darcy by Marsha Altman

The Journey by Jan Hahn

The Disappearance of Georgiana Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice Mystery (Pride & Prejudice Mysteries) by Regina Jeffers

Second Impressions by Ava Farmer

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
The power of doing anything with quickness is always prized much by the possessor, and often without any attention to the imperfection of the performance.
Do not be afraid of my running into any excess, of my encroaching on your privilege of universal good will. You need not. There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense.
"In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."
"I wonder who first discovered the efficacy of poetry in driving away love!"
Though Lydia's short letter to Mrs. F. gave them to understand that they were going to Gretna Green, something was dropped by Denny expressing his belief that W. never intended to go there, or to marry Lydia at all, which was repeated to Colonel F., who, instantly taking the alarm, set off from B. intending to trace their route. He did trace them easily to Clapham, but no farther; for on entering that place they removed into a hackney-coach and dismissed the chaise that brought them from Epsom. All that is known after this is that they were seen to continue the London road. I know not what to think. After making every possible enquiry on that side London, Colonel F. came on into Hertfordshire, anxiously renewing them at all the turnpikes, and at the inns in Barnet and Hatfield, but without any success; no such people had been seen to pass through. With the kindest concern he came on to Longbourn, and broke his apprehensions to us in a manner most creditable to his heart.
Austen’s most celebrated novel tells the story of Elizabeth Bennet, a bright, lively young woman with four sisters, and a mother determined to marry them to wealthy men. At a party near the Bennets’ home in the English countryside, Elizabeth meets the wealthy, proud Fitzwilliam Darcy. Elizabeth initially finds Darcy haughty and intolerable, but circumstances continue to unite the pair. Mr. Darcy finds himself captivated by Elizabeth’s wit and candor, while her reservations about his character slowly vanish. The story is as much a social critique as it is a love story, and the prose crackles with Austen’s wry wit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553213105, Mass Market Paperback)

Elizabeth Bennet is the perfect Austen heroine: intelligent, generous, sensible, incapable of jealousy or any other major sin. That makes her sound like an insufferable goody-goody, but the truth is she's a completely hip character, who if provoked is not above skewering her antagonist with a piece of her exceptionally sharp -- but always polite -- 18th century wit. The point is, you spend the whole book absolutely fixated on the critical question: will Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy hook up?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:55 -0400)

In early nineteenth-century England, Elizabeth Bennett, a spirited young woman copes with the romantic entanglements of her four sisters, and her feelings for Fitzwilliam Darcy, a brooding gentleman.

10 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439513, 0141028106, 0451530780, 0143105426, 0141037512, 0141329734, 1408248816, 0141199075, 0143123165, 0734306229

Solis Press

An edition of this book was published by Solis Press.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

2 editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1449879225, 1449879233

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175064, 1909175005

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,437,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible