Pride & Prejudice (Wordsworth Classics) by…

Pride & Prejudice (Wordsworth Classics) (original 1813; edition 1997)

by Jane Austen

56,92710388 (4.42)7 / 3404
Member:donutage
Title:Pride & Prejudice (Wordsworth Classics)
Authors:Jane Austen
Info:NTC/Contemporary Publishing Company (1997), Edition: Reprint, Paperback
Collections:Kentucky
Tags:novel, british, 19c, fiction

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (1813)

Emma by Jane Austen (CeciP)
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (nu-bibliophile)
    Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Beatrice and Benedick & Lizzie and Darcy- there are some similarties! This is my favorite of Shakespeare's comedies! Two characters who love to spar with words, 2 couples who love each other, and a bad guy! Perfect mix...
    The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (carlym)
    The Annotated Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (humouress)
    humouress: For those who love Pride and Prejudice, and want to know more about the context it was written in, the annotated version adds depth to Jane Austen's work.
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (BookishRuth, Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Mr. Darcy and Mr. Thornton are both of the same cloth, a love story you can really sink into!
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (Bonzer)
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (dawnlovesbooks)
    Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Both novels offer a similar sort of wry look at the foibles of the English classes in the 18th / 19th centuries. Both are so carefully observed and deliciously written that they remain classics.
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (dawnlovesbooks)
    The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (SandSing7)
    SandSing7: Wharton is as American as Austen is British. Read both works for a comparitive "across the pond" view on the novel of manners.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (HollyMS)
    Excellent Women by Barbara Pym (carlym, dawnlovesbooks)
    The Cambridge Introduction to Jane Austen by Janet Todd (aynar)
    Some Tame Gazelle by Barbara Pym (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: Some Tame Gazelle was Barbara Pym's first book, but I would really recommend any of her works to admirers of Jane Austen. She has the same sensibility, the same grasp of the English social order and the English village, and populates her books with very similar people. But, more important, she has the same sense of humor, and the same marvelous touch with comedies of manners.… (more)
    The Making of Pride and Prejudice (BBC) by Susie Conklin (aynar)
    Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier (lucyknows)
    Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith (Jen7waters)
    Jen7waters: Although one is fantasy and the other isn't, Meliara has with Vidanric, the same problem Lizzy has with Darcy: prejudice. She keeps wanting to bite his head off when all he does is help her. Love them all!
    Belinda by Maria Edgeworth (catherinestead)

1810s (1)

English (969)  Spanish (16)  Italian (12)  French (7)  Dutch (7)  Swedish (6)  Catalan (4)  All (3)  Danish (3)  German (3)  Portuguese (1)  Norwegian (1)  All (1)  Finnish (1)  All (1,034)
I wish I hadn't seen the film before reading this. ( )
  Heldin | Oct 15, 2017 |
The classic novel of manners and morals. By and large I'm sure the mass of reviews far exceeds the novel at least 100 times over. Good book, read it. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Oct 14, 2017 |
Yes, it's a classic, and rightly so -- Jane beat most of the madding crowd to the printing press. Many great turns of phrase, interesting major and minor characters, quietly funny and insightful observations, and of course a strong female lead. We 21st-centurians celebrate 200 and mumble-year-old Elizabeth Bennet as a proto-feminist because -- shocking for her day! -- she has principles. At least three of them, by my count: Rather than handily sew up her future early on, Elizabeth politely rejects a socially acceptable suitor. (He's tedious!) On a rejection roll, she dramatically refuses a socially superior suitor (he's rich!), based on her -- ahem -- prejudicial opinion that he is a prideful grinch. And when she learns she was wrong about the prideful grinch (he's just a surly mope, and a secret Santa), she summons the courage to overcome her embarrassment and apologize. Yay! Don't let the fact that she has fallen in love with the mope detract from her courageous actions. She's noble and selfless, got it? Marrying the second-wealthiest character in the novel seems the obvious reward for sticking to her principles.

So, if this is such a classic novel, why did it take me three weeks to read it? I don't fault Jane for writing in microscopic detail about rural gentry and their fascinating transportation options, but really... the first 350 or so pages are not what I'd call economical storytelling. At times I did fall into the rhythm of the book -- which is perhaps the highest praise a futurian can grant this antiquity, "losing oneself in that world of yore." But overall, I was a reluctant reader, knocking out my daily pages like I was taking giant multivitamins. Then, a couple of millimeters from the end, Fitz and Lizzy (let's call 'em Pride and Prejudice!) go for an awkward walk, breathlessly mend fences, and then declare their mutual love (admiration?) -- in roughly three pages. A bit rushed, 'innit? Reads more like an outline of the finale, compared with the languorous prose buffet preceding it. The final dozen pages simply nail down the parental consents, initial here... and here, and then boom! we're done. The two people who seemed to despise each other most throughout the novel wind up "the happiest couple in the world." How convenient!

Anyway, I get credit for reading an Important Novel. Do you know how satisfying that is for an English major? ( )
  joecanas | Oct 8, 2017 |
Libro #65 en la lista de los 100 libros de Pasión por la lectura.
  celia.castro | Oct 4, 2017 |
ok but can I get a Pride and Prejudice sequel real quick, preferably one titled Pride and Prejudice: 2 Pride 2 Prejudice

(for realsies though, I loved this so much. It made me laugh and Feel Things so much more than I expected. never again will I say that reading classics isn't my thing)

Here are a bunch of P&P gifs because I need to vent my love for it somehow and this is is the only relevant place to do so (i hope i don't break goodreads bc THERE WILL BE A LOT OF GIFS)

I'm pretty sure Darcy's smile is the definition of RADIANT

I will never not be SHOOK™ when I watch this scene - question: how do you get over a scene like this (answer: you dont)

HE'S SO SMITTEN I'M EMOTIONAL

THE ICONIC HAND FLEX

GOOSEBUMPS EVERYWHERE. DAT EYE CONTACT

when you unexpectedly meet the super rich guy whose proposal you rejected and he's soaking wet and it's super scandalous and you're shook #justgirlythings

what a smooth-talker. when will Mr. Collins learn to stfu tho

A THOUSAND TIMES YES !!!!

this scene always makes me laugh so much - it's basically the 19th century version of the Michael Scott EVERYBODY FUCKING CALM DOWN gif

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS LINE IS STRAIGHT FROM THE BOOK!!! DARCY!!! CALLS!! HER!! THAT!! LOVELIEST ELIZABETH!!! i need a moment

one of my favourite things to do is say this line in an exaggerated posh british accent - IT'S SO MUCH FUN hehe

LOOK AT THESE CUTIES

this review is like 90% gifs but it's already my fav review that i've ever written

with that being said, I am off to watch the P&P 2005 movie, the BBC mini-series, and the Lizzie Bennett Diaries. IT'S GONNA BE A FUN COUPLA DAYS.

Update: I watched all of them and they all made me love this book even more than I already did - are we surprised? no. my love for P&P is infinite and ever-present

--------------------------------------------------​

Edit: Removed my rating for this because I read it such a long time ago and I think if I reread it now (which I will soon) I'll A) find it a lot easier to read and B) love it a hell of a lot more!

(Also I bought the stunning Penguin drop cap edition of this today and I'm in love with it it's so pretty c':)
____________________________________
(Reviewed June 28, 2014)

I DID IT! I FINALLY FINISHED READING THIS. :')

Pride and Prejudice and I had a complicated relationship to say the least. At first, I just couldn't get through it. I was incredibly bored and the writing was proving to be a constant struggle for me to get used to. I read 183 pages and then gave up (at which point I wrote the review that is below this one). I really didn't want to leave it unfinished but I had decided that if I wasn't enjoying it, then it wasn't worth my time and hey, at least I tried, right?

Having been disappointed with my reaction to such a well loved classic, I thought I would watch the movie which I knew I would love a lot more. I watched the movie, LOVED it (A LOT) and was convinced that I should at least do the book justice and finish it. Surprisingly, upon trying again the next day, I found it much easier to read and actually quite enjoyed it. The plot picked up and I was able to appreciate the characters much more.

As to why I disliked the book so much throughout the first half, I don't know. I think I just wasn't in the right mood. You certainly can't rush a Jane Austen novel, something which I undoubtedly learned the hard way.

I guess you could consider this book Mr Darcy and me Lizzy. Much like Lizzy convinced herself that Mr Darcy didn't have any redeemable qualities, I convinced myself that this book just wasn't the book for me. Then, after taking a breather and watching the movie, I decided to give the book another chance and I am very, very glad that I did (and I'm sure Lizzy is glad she gave Mr Darcy a second chance too!).

Needless to say, this book was quite the tumultuous read for me. Maybe after a couple of years I will reread it and come to appreciate it more but for now, it will have to be a solid 2 star read for me (whoops rated it down - what can ya do ?).

__________________________________________________​__________________________________________________

Preface: I initially gave this book a rating of 2 stars so....

Yes, I am an abomination. Cue the incredulous screaming.

First of all, I did not finish reading this. I couldn't, I just couldn't. I read almost 200 pages, hoping that the story would pick up or I would find it easier to read, but alas, it was all in vain.

The thing is, I tried. I tried so very hard, but in the end I was like You know what, if I'm not enjoying this then at least I tried right?

Put simply, I just did not like Pride and Prejudice . I found it painfully boring, something which wasn't helped by the fact that it wasn't exactly an "easy" read. And you're probably all like: Well, it's the 19th century, whaddaya want? They're not exactly party animals. And to that I say: I guess the 19th century isn't for me then. To be honest, I just felt too much of a disconnect with the time period and all that it entailed to be able to appreciate the characters or what they were saying. I'm not saying that I hated it, I didn't. It's by no means a bad book, just not the book for me.

In the end, I just came to the conclusion that I didn't want to force myself to read something that I knew I wasn't enjoying.

I feel really bad giving this a low rating since pretty much everybody and their mother has read and dearly loved this but when it comes down to it, Pride and Prejudice is still a book - It's a classic, yes, but that doesn't mean that it's gonna get a 5 stars by default. I wish I loved it but I didn't, and that's really as simple as it gets.

fatmashahin | Sep 23, 2017 |
[Recensionen gäller en nyöversättning gjord av Gun-Britt Sundström]

...men ”Stolthet och fördom” är en glad roman, tack vare Elizabeth Bennets frejdiga humör och relativa frispråkighet. I Gun-Britt Sundströms nyöversättning ges gott om utrymme för tvetydigheten i hennes repliker, för skrattet som bubblar under ytan.

[Recensionen gäller en nyöversättning gjord av Gun-Britt Sundström]

När jag läser Sundströms översättning blir det för första gången tydligt för mig hur skickligt Austen tryfferar romanen med små överdrifter, sarkasmer, nålstick av spydighet, utan att läsaren för den skull tappar engagemanget i intrigen. Humorn gäller särskilt gestaltningen av bokens karikatyrer, Elizabeths ytliga och giriga mamma mrs Bennet och den fjäskige och inbilske mr Collins, den släkting som aspirerar på att överta familjegodset.

Satírica, antirromántica, profunda y mordaz a un tiempo, la obra de Jane Austen nace de la observación de la vida doméstica y de un profundo conocimiento de la condición humana. Orgullo y prejuicio ha fascinado a generaciones de lectores por sus inolvidables personajes y su desopilante retrato de una sociedad, la Inglaterra victoriana y rural, tan contradictoria como absurda. Con la llegada del rico y apuesto señor Darcy a su región, las vidas de los Bennet y sus cinco hijas se vuelven del revés. El orgullo y la distancia social, la astucia y la hipocresía, los malentendidos y los juicios apresurados abocan a los personajes al escándalo y al dolor, pero también a la comprensión, el conocimiento y el amor verdadero. Esta edición presenta al lector una nueva traducción al castellano que devuelve todo su esplendor al ingenio y la finísima ironía de la prosa de Austen.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

I "would rather have written Pride and Prejudice, or Tom Jones, than any of the Waverley Novels"
added by GYKM | editGeorge Henry Lewes, George Henry Lewes

Pride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Jane Austen: Pride and Prejudice Mansfield Park Persuasion by Jane Austen

Northanger Abbey/Pride and Prejudice/Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

The Complete Novels (including Lady Susan) by Jane Austen

Emma / Mansfield Park / Northanger Abbey / Persuasion / Pride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Folio Society Jane Austen Set (Seven volume set: Emma; Mansfield Park; Northanger Abbey; Persuasion; Pride and Prejudice; Sense and Sensibility; Shorter Works) by Jane Austen

Emma / Persuasion / Pride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

The Annotated Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice / Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

Emma/Pride and Prejudice/Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice: An Annotated Edition by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice: A Longman Cultural Edition by Jane Austen

Emma/Mansfield Park/Northanger Abbey/Persuasion/Pride and Prejudice/Sense and Sensibility AND Catharine/Lady Susan/Sanditon/The Watsons by Jane Austen

A Sentimental Journey Through France and Italy; Pride and Prejudice by Charles William Eliot

Emma / Mansfield Park / Northanger Abbey / Persuasion / Pride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility / Lady Susan / Love and Friendship by Jane Austen

Mansfield Park / Pride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Jane Austen: Four Novels by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice [Norton Critical Edition] by Jane Austen

Jane Austen: (Three Classic Novels) Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Emma by Jane Austen

The Novels and Letters of Jane Austen, Vol. 03 by Jane Austen

The Novels and Letters of Jane Austen, Vol. 04 by Jane Austen

The complete Jane Austen [box set]: Emma / Northanger Abbey / Persuasion / Prride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility / Lady Susan / The Watsons / Sanditon / Mansfield Park by Jane Austen

The complete novels of Jane Auste [box set] by Jane Austen

Mr. Darcy Presents His Bride by Helen Halstead

Lydia Bennet's Story: A Sequel to Pride and Prejudice by Jane Odiwe

Loving Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

From Lambton to Longbourn by Abigail Reynolds

Charlotte Collins: A Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Jennifer Becton

Lady Catherine's Necklace by Joan Aiken

My Dearest Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

Pemberley Shades by D. A. Bonavia-Hunt

In the Arms of Mr. Darcy (Pride & Prejudice Continues) by Sharon Lathan

Mrs. Darcy's Dilemma: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Diana Birchall

Consequence by Elizabeth Newark

The Trouble with Mr. Darcy: Pride and Prejudice continues... (Pride & Prejudice Continues) by Sharon Lathan

Mr. Darcy's Little Sister by C. Allyn Pierson

Mr. Darcy's Decision: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Juliette Shapiro

Mr. Darcy's Secret by Jane Odiwe

Excessively Diverted: The Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Juliette Shapiro

Darcy and Fitzwilliam: A tale of a gentleman and an officer by Karen Wasylowski

The Unexpected Miss Bennet by Patrice Sarath

Miss Darcy Falls in Love by Sharon Lathan

Conviction: A Sequel To Jane Austen's Pride And Prejudice by Skylar Hamilton Burris

The Three Colonels: Jane Austen's Fighting Men by Jack Caldwell

Assumed Engagement by Kara Louise

Pride and Pyramids: Mr. Darcy in Egypt by Amanda Grange

Christmas at Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Holiday Sequel by Regina Jeffers

Teverton Hall by Jane Gillespie

The Ballad of Gregoire Darcy by Marsha Altman

The Journey by Jan Hahn

The Disappearance of Georgiana Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice Mystery (Pride & Prejudice Mysteries) by Regina Jeffers

Second Impressions by Ava Farmer

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
The power of doing anything with quickness is always prized much by the possessor, and often without any attention to the imperfection of the performance.
Do not be afraid of my running into any excess, of my encroaching on your privilege of universal good will. You need not. There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense.
"In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."
"I wonder who first discovered the efficacy of poetry in driving away love!"
Though Lydia's short letter to Mrs. F. gave them to understand that they were going to Gretna Green, something was dropped by Denny expressing his belief that W. never intended to go there, or to marry Lydia at all, which was repeated to Colonel F., who, instantly taking the alarm, set off from B. intending to trace their route. He did trace them easily to Clapham, but no farther; for on entering that place they removed into a hackney-coach and dismissed the chaise that brought them from Epsom. All that is known after this is that they were seen to continue the London road. I know not what to think. After making every possible enquiry on that side London, Colonel F. came on into Hertfordshire, anxiously renewing them at all the turnpikes, and at the inns in Barnet and Hatfield, but without any success; no such people had been seen to pass through. With the kindest concern he came on to Longbourn, and broke his apprehensions to us in a manner most creditable to his heart.
This is a Portuguese language comic version. Do not combine with standard work.
Austen’s most celebrated novel tells the story of Elizabeth Bennet, a bright, lively young woman with four sisters, and a mother determined to marry them to wealthy men. At a party near the Bennets’ home in the English countryside, Elizabeth meets the wealthy, proud Fitzwilliam Darcy. Elizabeth initially finds Darcy haughty and intolerable, but circumstances continue to unite the pair. Mr. Darcy finds himself captivated by Elizabeth’s wit and candor, while her reservations about his character slowly vanish. The story is as much a social critique as it is a love story, and the prose crackles with Austen’s wry wit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553213105, Mass Market Paperback)

Elizabeth Bennet is the perfect Austen heroine: intelligent, generous, sensible, incapable of jealousy or any other major sin. That makes her sound like an insufferable goody-goody, but the truth is she's a completely hip character, who if provoked is not above skewering her antagonist with a piece of her exceptionally sharp -- but always polite -- 18th century wit. The point is, you spend the whole book absolutely fixated on the critical question: will Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy hook up?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:55 -0400)

In early nineteenth-century England, Elizabeth Bennett, a spirited young woman copes with the romantic entanglements of her four sisters, and her feelings for Fitzwilliam Darcy, a brooding gentleman.

10 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439513, 0141028106, 0451530780, 0143105426, 0141037512, 0141329734, 1408248816, 0141199075, 0143123165, 0734306229

Solis Press

An edition of this book was published by Solis Press.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

2 editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1449879225, 1449879233

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175064, 1909175005

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,514,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible