Orgullo Y Prejuicio by Jane Austen

Orgullo Y Prejuicio (original 1813; edition 2012)

by Jane Austen

50,58188710 (4.43)7 / 2639
Member:Mora.
Title:Orgullo Y Prejuicio
Authors:Jane Austen
Info:Gradfico. 2012. 318 páginas.
Collections:Mi biblioteca, Narrativa, Leído, B2E3
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Narrativa. Novela. Literatura inglesa. Siglo XIX

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (1813)

Emma by Jane Austen (CeciP)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (nu-bibliophile)
    The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (carlym)
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Beatrice and Benedick & Lizzie and Darcy- there are some similarties! This is my favorite of Shakespeare's comedies! Two characters who love to spar with words, 2 couples who love each other, and a bad guy! Perfect mix...
    The Annotated Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (humouress)
    humouress: For those who love Pride and Prejudice, and want to know more about the context it was written in, the annotated version adds depth to Jane Austen's work.
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (amanaceerdh)
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (BookishRuth, Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Mr. Darcy and Mr. Thornton are both of the same cloth, a love story you can really sink into!
    Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Both novels offer a similar sort of wry look at the foibles of the English classes in the 18th / 19th centuries. Both are so carefully observed and deliciously written that they remain classics.
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (Bonzer)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (amanaceerdh)
    The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (SandSing7)
    SandSing7: Wharton is as American as Austen is British. Read both works for a comparitive "across the pond" view on the novel of manners.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (Hollerama)
    Excellent Women by Barbara Pym (carlym, amanaceerdh)
    Some Tame Gazelle by Barbara Pym (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: Some Tame Gazelle was Barbara Pym's first book, but I would really recommend any of her works to admirers of Jane Austen. She has the same sensibility, the same grasp of the English social order and the English village, and populates her books with very similar people. But, more important, she has the same sense of humor, and the same marvelous touch with comedies of manners.… (more)
    Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith (Jen7waters)
    Jen7waters: Although one is fantasy and the other isn't, Meliara has with Vidanric, the same problem Lizzy has with Darcy: prejudice. She keeps wanting to bite his head off when all he does is help her. Love them all!
    The Cambridge Introduction to Jane Austen by Janet Todd (aynar)
    Belinda by Maria Edgeworth (CatyM)
    Helen by Maria Edgeworth (MissBrangwen)
    The Making of Pride and Prejudice (BBC) by Susie Conklin (aynar)

Unread books (1,012)

English (830)  Spanish (10)  Italian (10)  Dutch (7)  French (7)  Swedish (6)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Catalan (3)  German (3)  Danish (3)  Portuguese (1)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (886)
I have read P&P perhaps 10 times in the past 30 years. It still makes me laugh, warms my soul, feeds my alternately jaded and romantic heart, and leaves most other books in the dust. I shall keep returning every few years and I can't imagine it will do anything but keep giving me joy. ( )
  Narshkite | Mar 9, 2015 |
Who is not familiar with the plot of Austen’s best-known novel? The headstrong Elizabeth Bennett meets the prideful Mr. Darcy, he forms prejudices against her family, she forms prejudices against him, but he still falls in love with her. He then shows her his true character, and she falls in love with him, and at the end, there is a wedding, of course.

This was my second reading of Pride and Prejudice - the first was in high school, I believe - but even if you are familiar with the story only from the numerous film versions, the book is worth a read. The most interesting character is the one the movies often gloss over: Mr. Bennett, Elizabeth’s father. Indeed, he represents the theme of the novel: the folly of an ill-chosen marriage. He has no respect for his wife, admits he squandered his income and thus put his five daughters at risk for poverty, and retreats from his life to his library whenever possible. Next to Mr. Darcy and even his own brother-in-law, Mr. Bennett is an ineffectual man, brought down by his own poor decisions. His one fear is that Elizabeth will follow the same path. Of course, she does not, and is rewarded with both bliss and riches.

First read as a teen (1980s); reread in 2007. ( )
  sturlington | Mar 4, 2015 |
This audiobook edition by Recorded Books, narrated by Flo Gibson, loses ½ a star because of an annoying technical flaw -- the audiobook "chapters" are completely independent of the actual chapters in the book. I think that this is an older recording and suspect that the so-called chapters had to do with the recording's divisions (cassette side #s, perhaps?)

Despite all the negative things I have heard about Flo Gibson as a narrator, I thought she did a great job in this. It was a fairly uninflected recording (no "voices" for the different characters) which is usually not my preference. In this much-loved classic, though, it worked very well and her pace was also excellent. ( )
  leslie.98 | Mar 1, 2015 |
Reread this for what I think is the third time, and I feel like it was the best read of the three! I kept going back and reading bits again and kind of wanted to just start reading it a fourth time right after the third. Her characters, even minor ones, are so incredibly vivid in my head—how does she do that? How does that slow pace and old language manage to keep me reading into the wee hours on a third read? Adore this book, obviously. ( )
  eslee | Mar 1, 2015 |
I have loved watching the movies based on the Jane Austen novels and finally got around to reading Pride and Prejudice and really enjoyed it! I look forward to reading more of her novels. ( )
  CILLYart4U | Feb 16, 2015 |
I "would rather have written Pride and Prejudice, or Tom Jones, than any of the Waverley Novels"
added by GYKM | editGeorge Henry Lewes, George Henry Lewes

Loving Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

From Lambton to Longbourn by Abigail Reynolds

Lady Catherine's Necklace by Joan Aiken

Pemberley Shades by D. A. Bonavia-Hunt

Charlotte Collins: A Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Jennifer Becton

Mrs. Darcy's Dilemma: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Diana Birchall

My Dearest Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

Consequence by Elizabeth Newark

In the Arms of Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

The Trouble with Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

Mr. Darcy's Little Sister by C. Allyn Pierson

Excessively Diverted: The Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Juliette Shapiro

Mr. Darcy's Decision: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Juliette Shapiro

Conviction: A Sequel To Jane Austen's Pride And Prejudice by Skylar Hamilton Burris

Darcy and Fitzwilliam: A tale of a gentleman and an officer by Karen Wasylowski

Christmas at Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Holiday Sequel by Regina Jeffers

Teverton Hall by Jane Gillespie

The Ballad of Gregoire Darcy by Marsha Altman

Second Impressions by Ava Farmer

The Disappearance of Georgiana Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice Mystery by Regina Jeffers

Pemberley Revisited by Emma Tennant

Illusions and Ignorance: Mary Bennet's Story by S. E. Ward

The Journey by Jan Hahn

Deborah PP by Jane Gillespie

Colonel Fitzwilliam's Correspondence: Fitzwilliam Darcy's cousin, the Colonel is bound for war on the Peninsula. Is there love in his future while war is waged across Europe? by D. W. Wilkin

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
The power of doing anything with quickness is always prized much by the possessor, and often without any attention to the imperfection of the performance.
Do not be afraid of my running into any excess, of my encroaching on your privilege of universal good will. You need not. There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense.
"In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."
"I wonder who first discovered the efficacy of poetry in driving away love!"
Though Lydia's short letter to Mrs. F. gave them to understand that they were going to Gretna Green, something was dropped by Denny expressing his belief that W. never intended to go there, or to marry Lydia at all, which was repeated to Colonel F., who, instantly taking the alarm, set off from B. intending to trace their route. He did trace them easily to Clapham, but no farther; for on entering that place they removed into a hackney-coach and dismissed the chaise that brought them from Epsom. All that is known after this is that they were seen to continue the London road. I know not what to think. After making every possible enquiry on that side London, Colonel F. came on into Hertfordshire, anxiously renewing them at all the turnpikes, and at the inns in Barnet and Hatfield, but without any success; no such people had been seen to pass through. With the kindest concern he came on to Longbourn, and broke his apprehensions to us in a manner most creditable to his heart.
ISBN 0141024038 is a Penguin Books edition of Pride and Prejudice.
Austen’s most celebrated novel tells the story of Elizabeth Bennet, a bright, lively young woman with four sisters, and a mother determined to marry them to wealthy men. At a party near the Bennets’ home in the English countryside, Elizabeth meets the wealthy, proud Fitzwilliam Darcy. Elizabeth initially finds Darcy haughty and intolerable, but circumstances continue to unite the pair. Mr. Darcy finds himself captivated by Elizabeth’s wit and candor, while her reservations about his character slowly vanish. The story is as much a social critique as it is a love story, and the prose crackles with Austen’s wry wit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553213105, Mass Market Paperback)

Elizabeth Bennet is the perfect Austen heroine: intelligent, generous, sensible, incapable of jealousy or any other major sin. That makes her sound like an insufferable goody-goody, but the truth is she's a completely hip character, who if provoked is not above skewering her antagonist with a piece of her exceptionally sharp -- but always polite -- 18th century wit. The point is, you spend the whole book absolutely fixated on the critical question: will Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy hook up?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:33 -0400)

In early nineteenth-century England, Elizabeth Bennett, a spirited young woman copes with the romantic entanglements of her four sisters, and her feelings for Fitzwilliam Darcy, a brooding gentleman.

Current discussions

Discussion Thread: Pride and Prejudice in 2015 Category Challenge

13 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439513, 0141439580, 014025157X, 0141028106, 0451530780, 0143105426, 0141037512, 0141037504, 0141329734, 1408248816, 0141199075, 0143123165, 0734306229

Solis Press

An edition of this book was published by Solis Press.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Recorded Books

2 editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1449879225, 1449879233

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,138,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible