The Mission of Addition by Brian P. Cleary

The Mission of Addition

by Brian P. Cleary

I really enjoyed this book especially because I can relate it to my home life. I remember when my son was beginning to learn addition and this book would have been a fun resource for he and I to explore together. Not only does it allow the student to read, but helps them grasp the concept of adding without them realizing it. It uses different terms for that a student may see when learning addition such as plus, all together, total, and increase. The visuals/illustrations are helpful for a learner that needs an aid when trying to understand and comprehend a concept. Showing how to solve problems is a key addition in this story because it allows a student to visualize the outcome of the problem and what it should look like. Another great aspect is it allows a teacher to expand on the aids they use in class. Buttons, paper clips, crayons, rocks, and just about any other small manipulative a student can use with their hands on a desk are great tools for visual aid learners. ( )
  ssmith93 | Oct 21, 2014 |
This book did not receive any awards. This book would be good for kindergartners and first graders since those are the grades where they learn about addition. This book is a cute way of showing children what addition really is. For example they have some pages saying how when they have 3 eggs and they add 4 more they get 7 eggs total. They also use math terms such as add, plus, increase, total and equals too. It deals with addition and what the key terms mean. I would do this reading towards the end of kindergartners since you learn more of addition in the first grade. Before the reading for the kindergartners I would see their knowledge of addition and then we can read the book and do some fun math activities involving blocks or buttons. For the first graders we will have the key terms on the board and we will figure out what their meanings are and then we will read the book. Since they have math problems in the book I'll let them solve the problem before I read the answer. After the reading we will do adding activities involving buttons, blocks and other things that we can add up.
  mmaher8 | Oct 31, 2011 |
The story, "The Mission of Addition" is a math information book about addition. The book has many different scenarios were addition is the answer. The way the story is set up it teaches students factual information about math in a fun way. One example of the book is, "Adding is growing the total of things, like bubbles in bathtubs or bright shiny rings." Another great thing about the book is that is show symbols such as a plus sign or equals sign. I recomend this book to anyone! ( )
  jlowens4 | Apr 11, 2010 |
This book talks about addition and the purpose of addtion. This is a great book to open up a lesson on addition on. There are many picture. There are also problems and they show how to solve them.
  jennjenn2016 | Apr 9, 2009 |
I found this book on the information biography list. I hadn't noticed it until I realized the author was the same as the How Long? How Wide A Measuring Guide book I had just read to my class.
  morgantk | Mar 29, 2009 |

In the first book of the Math Is Categorical(tm) series, readers will become familiar with the concept of addition and its key terms.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:04 -0400)

The first in a series about math. Through playful rhymes, the book explains basic concepts such as, no amount gets smaller when you're working in addition. The numbers climb from low to high 'cause that's addition's mission! Children count bubbles, rings, school buses, baseballs, baby-sitters, eggs, and musicians in this fun introduction.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,982,877 books! | Top bar: Always visible