The Snoring Bird: My Family's Journey…

The Snoring Bird: My Family's Journey Through a Century of Biology (2007)

by Bernd Heinrich

190788,444 (4.29)32

Good writing, but I was definitely not interested in the tales of his father killing all the animals, or capturing them and putting them in zoos. Ugh. ( )
  SaraMSLIS | Jul 9, 2018 |
By the same person who wrote about Ravens
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
I came across Heinrich's book on a suggested reading list, and the description got my attention enough that when I found a copy I grabbed it. What I like about The Snoring Bird is that Heinrich doesn't just talk about his own life, but the history of his family - and that spans historical events as well. He works in a lot of information about his work and the scientific world, but in a way that is easy to read. ( )
  SarinaLeigh | Apr 21, 2017 |
A tale of a family's escape from the Russians at the end of World War II to the United States. ( )
  hurricanehob | Nov 6, 2014 |
Heinrich's books on Raven behaivour are characterised, for me at least, by an amazing attention to detail and disciplined method. I was not sure how this would translate when telling his family's story.

I was very very pleasantly surprised at how the style of writing remained consistent with this book and the readability was so incredibly engaging. A wonderful/amazing story, well told. ( )
  rightantler | Jan 6, 2010 |

Although Gerd Heinrich, a devoted naturalist, specialized in wasps, Bernd Heinrich tried to distance himself from his "old-fashioned" father, becoming a hybrid: a modern, experimental biologist with a naturalist's sensibilities.

In this extraordinary memoir, the award-winning author shares the ways in which his relationship with his father, combined with his unique childhood, molded him into the scientist, and man, he is today. From Gerd's days as a soldier in Europe and the family's daring escape from the Red Army in 1945 to the rustic Maine farm they came to call home, Heinrich relates it all in his trademark style, making science accessible and awe-inspiring.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:20 -0400)

Traces the related stories of the author's father's life, his family's past, and the ways in which his own life was shaped by the forces of nature and history, in a personal account that reveals his origins as an experimental biologist and naturalist.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,818,616 books! | Top bar: Always visible