Chaos Magic by Jay Lygon

Chaos Magic

by Jay Lygon

Chaos Magic" is not a typical M/M romance, in fact I wonder if it could be categorized as a romance. It's a pretty good story, has a good mix of fantasy, contemporary and the author's interpretation of mythology (which was unique - everyday people being Gods & Goddesses)

The beginning of the story took awhile to actually grasp my attention but once I finally became invested in "Chaos Magic", it became a pretty intense ride. For fans of BDSM and not sugar kink, this is a story you might appreciate. This story really is not for everyone - so fans of clear cut HEA and paper hearts and crystal butterflies need not apply.

Here's my bottom line:

The story - 8/10 - It's engaging. The characters will make you feel something whether it is love or hate...it's something. I felt for Sam, a victim of abuse and self denial, I'm happy he finally crossed the bridge to self worth. I wasn't too keen on how he used Hector to help him figure it out.

At first I was fond of Hector, then it went to dislike, then hate. Now I just tolerate him. He wasn't so much of a dick in the beginning, towards the end he was smelling himself or something. I'd like to have some one on one time with him - me, him, a baseball bat and a locked door where I only had the key. I think I disliked him more than Marcus and Marcus was the villain.

But as I said - the characters will evoke something out of you. This usually indicates it's a good story.

The delivery - 6/10 - To me, a bit sluggish in the beginning - I thought I would give up on the book a few times but I am happy I didn't. The last 5% though made me wonder...I wasn't extremely pleased with the ending but it is a HEA, I guess.

You like man on man action but angst, hurt/comfort, domestic abuse, BDSM and some mythology thrown in? This is a read for you.

Will I continue with this series? Yep. I need to see what happens with Sam and Hector. But not right away. THREE & A HALF STARS" ( )
  SheReadsALot | Jun 20, 2016 |
Torn between 3.5 and 4 stars.

Sam is the character we are supposed to relate, and for the most part I did. He has self confidence issues and he has been abused by his former Master, Marcus. Hector is our love interest and he is that Alpha controlling Dominant we would expect.

This is an interesting world where "Gods" are normal, living normal length lives, other than the fact that they have some magical powers. These gods are modern, not just what we would think of Zeus or Apollo. For example, if a lot of people are in traffic and then say, "oh god, hurry up and turn the light!", then they are praying to the god of 'traffic." It is an interesting and humor concept, which I found to be well written.

Most of the BDSM aspect seemed accurate and not too intense. However, there was an aspect of Hector that was kinda assholian and I found it hard to forgive if I had to live with it every day. Hector constantly accuses Sam of cheating with what I consider borderline abusive behavior. I do not think that we could even say, "Oh, well that is the Master/slave relationship."

This is a Master/slave type relationship, so if the heavier type BDSM is too much for you, you might want to pass. There were many times where I felt uncomfortable, but not enough to put the book down.

I would not call this a deep book, but it was entertaining.
  Bea_writer | Sep 21, 2013 |
To prepare myself for writing a character who is into BDSM, I asked my Goodreads buddy, Kate, what were the best BDSM books she’d read. She named a few, half of which I already had, but one I hadn’t was “Chaos Magic” by Jay Lygon.
Crappy cover, no headless torso or hunky guys to perv over, just lots of purple and yellow and what looked like a shrine.
I started reading.
By page 3, I had emailed Kate to say that the book rocked. Well, actually the comment was “…love it already. That's what subs are like, horny as fuck. Hope the standard stays that high.”
By page 24, I was searching the web to find out who Jay Lygon was.
By page 65, I was searching for my credit card and hoping Torquere Press’s 15% off offer was still valid so I could buy everything else he/she had written. You can never be sure nowadays. Doesn’t matter. At least there was no giggling gerties, chicks with dicks or any of the other things that put me off when I’m reading m/m.
By page 150, things started to turn sour. From now on I’d be judging all my attempts at humor against this and mine would come up wanting.
By the end, I was ready to hand in my Writer’s Union Card. Sometimes for an author there is nothing more depressing than coming across one who does all the things you’re trying to do, but, oh, so much better.
You’re laughing but you’re crying.
According to its hero, Sam, mirth pours from the outside corners of people’s eyes, sorrow from the inside.
Mine were watering from both ends.
Why? Because this book does another thing I’ve been trying to do and does it brilliantly, ie deal with difficult subjects in a way that ensures the reader appreciates the message while still being entertained.
At first glance, the book might be about BDSM, at second glance it might be about a weird sort of real world ‘magic’, but underlying all this is an incredibly powerful story about fear, depression, loss of control, lack of self worth and most of all domestic violence.
I’d read advertisements and articles in gay newspapers about support groups for victims, quoting stats that say the incidence is much higher in the LGBT community but often because of various factors is never reported. It’s a subject that’s rarely if ever included in m/m romances which is understandable in a way. Yet this difficult but real problem is at the heart of “Chaos Magic” just as it is at the heart of its hero, Sammy.
Jay Lygon uses humor, like the white ropes that Sammy loves so much to wrap that subject up. Winding it around and around with cunning knots, exposing just the vulnerable parts. Making the process bearable and at the same time increasing the intensity when the harsh reality is inflicted.
The main ropes are the Gods that Sammy sees. Like Angelena the God of traffic:
“From Simi Valley to south of Tijuana is a solid band of humanity, probably 20 million people, and every single soul, no matter what religion they think they follow, prays to the Goddess every time they hit the road. That’s an impressive power base. I mean, think about it.” This Ducati restoring God is aided by Deal, the God of Negotiation, and the Thai born Crash, the God of computers. These beings take on a life of their own as they look after Sam and try to steer him on the right course. Mind you even they argue amongst themselves much as the Gods on Olympus used to: “You pray to the Goddess of Traffic every day,” the Lotto God complained. “No one thinks of me until the pot reaches thirty million.” But at the heart of the story are Sam and his new Master. The question is, will the past continue to haunt Sam or will he be able to overcome his fear and find out who he truly is.
Okay, maybe it’s a case of ‘What rock have you been hiding under, AB?’ because everyone else has heard of “Chaos Magic” and read it. But if you haven’t and you love reading a story where the sex scenes are an integral part, and if you want an emotionally satisfying read that packs a punch, get on the back of Jay Lygon’s bike, hang on for grim death and let him take you on the ride of your life.
I’d give it six stars if I could, failing that I’m happy to take one off every review I’ve ever had for one of my stories, just to put this one up that little bit higher. Jay Lygon is the God of writing.
  AB_Gayle | Mar 31, 2013 |
All right, I can't explain well what this book is like and what it has left to me. It's chaotic, energy, fantasy, fear, pain, pleasure... all mixed up in an huge melting pot.

Sam is a twenty-something years old guy who wants with all himself a Master in his life; he needs him, he craves him. He wants sex, yes, but not only, he wants to be dominate by someone, to be controlled. But he is just escaped from an abusive partner, that still manages to influence him and prevents him to find a real partner. Sam, like many before him, thinks he deserves to be beaten, and so he deserves to pain Marcus inflicts to him, and it is not the pain/pleasure he really wants.

Then he meets Hector, a forty-something Dominant, with an high propension to sadism. But Hector is also a caring person, who wants to rule his boy, but also protects him. He is the very daddy Sam wants, if only he manages to go over his fear.

Around them we have an huge set of supporting characters, made of gods, goddess and even a ghost. You will learn that a god is real only if you believe in him, only if you worship him: so a god could be also your neighbour, if you believe in him.

Jay Lygon succeed in balancing well the delicate relation between pleasure and pain, boy and Master, sex and love, sex and fear...

elisa.rolle | Apr 26, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,421,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible