Night of the Howling Dogs by Graham…

Night of the Howling Dogs

by Graham Salisbury

What starts as a simple boy scouts trip into the wilderness of Hawaii ends in a desperate fight for survival as the island erupts in turmoil. Though the adventure is compelling, it is the characters that really drive the story. We are presented with a large cast, but each addition is well fleshed out. With each chapter we grow closer with the characters as they face their own personalities, strengths, and foibles and pull together to survive.
  nataliev1311 | Feb 20, 2011 |
I had this book classified as an adventure until I finished it. It is based on actual events of a 1975 earthquake and tsunami that hit Hawaii. In this story Dylan is on his way camping with his scout troop. This seems like an awesome idea until he realizes the scout master has brought along Louie, some one Dylan knows, or assumes he knows as a trouble maker. But things aren’t always what they seem to be. Louie knows Dylan recognized him from a previous run in. He also does what he can to torment and tease Dylan. When the earthquake hits, followed by the tsunami Dylan gets to see another side of Louie.
I kept thinking about how many times we make snap judgements about people based on what we see on the outside. Once we get to know that person we often realize that we had things all wrong. This was a great book with a great lesson that didn’t come across as preachy. Once again Mr. Salisbury has given us much to think about. ( )
  skstiles612 | Aug 11, 2010 |
This novel by Graham Salisbury is very exciting!! 'Night of the Howling Dogs' is about several boy scouts that go camping in Hawaii. While on their trip an earthquake and a tsunami occurs. The boys' scouting skills are really put to the test during their adventure. Not only do they deal with natural disasters but also mother nature. The boys work together and eventually find themselves to safety.

This book was really exciting. It was a book that will keep you on your toes and rooting for the boys to make it through. I have never had the opportunity to read Salisbury's work, but now that i have, i really enjoy his adventures.

Classroom extension: 1)When informing students about extra curricular activities, this novel could be referred to the boy who are interested in participating in boy scouts.2) Also, when learing about natural disasters such as an eartquake or a tsunami, this novel could give students an idea of what happens during those disasters. ( )
  jcole7 | Mar 23, 2010 |
Very good book about the bonds that one makes through friendships that one creates by self or out of necessity. Good choice as a Mark Twain nominee for the 2009-2010 school year. ( )
  lrothmier | Feb 1, 2010 |
Slow start but the adventure kicks in half way through and keeps the energy til the end. Based on a true story of a scout troup that gets caught in a dangerous earthquake/tsunami while camping in Hawaii. ( )
  dbanna | Oct 20, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440238390, Mass Market Paperback)

DYLAN'S SCOUT TROOP goes camping in Halape, a remote spot below the volcano on the Big Island of Hawaii. The only thing wrong with the weekend on a beautiful, peaceful beach is Louie, a tough older boy. Louie and Dylan just can't get along.

That night an earthquake rocks the camp, and then a wave rushes in, sweeping everyone and everything before it. Dylan and Louie must team up on a dangerous rescue mission. The next hours are an amazing story of survival and the true meaning of leadership.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:36 -0400)

In 1975, eleven Boy Scouts, their leaders, and some new friends camping at Halape, Hawaii, find their survival skills put to the test when a massive earthquake strikes, followed by a tsunami.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,021,419 books! | Top bar: Always visible