Spanking Shakespeare by Jake Wizner

Spanking Shakespeare

by Jake Wizner

Hilarious for the first third of the book, then got a little tiring. Completely irreverant and very much puts you inside the head of a high school boy. Not someplace you want to be for too long... ( )
  keindi | Jan 23, 2016 |
This YA book was one my daughter was reading, and accidentally left behind at Thanksgiving - that, of course, mom had to pick up. No such thing as an abandoned book at my house. Shakespeare Shapiro hates the name his unusual parents have burdened him with and blames the name for many of the miseries he has faced in his life. We meet him in high school as he is writing his senior year assignment of writing a memoir of his life so far. His memoir is the book. It is charming, insightful and witty, containing just enough touching moments to make it real. I can certainly see the appeal of this book for an older teen, but I liked it very much as well.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
There is a bit of potty and masturbation humor, but also some thoughtful insights into the teen/human condition in this engaging and funny novel. ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
Crass and tasteless and yet still funny. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 30, 2013 |
I actually liked this one a lot more than Wizner's second book. It had the same sort of boy raunchy humor that I'm not really used to, but there is also a sort of...I don't know...sweetness about him. I guess it reminded me of Michael Cera in Superbad.

Although, I don't know. Maybe I was a weird kid because I don't think I thought about sex, drugs and drinking as much as the kids do in both of his books. So that's still a little mystifying to me. Oh well. ( )
  scote23 | Mar 30, 2013 |
For Kira
It's hard to imagine what my parents were thinking when they decided to name me Shakespeare.

SHAKESPEARE SHAPIRO HAS ALWAYS hated his name. His parents bestowed it on him as some kind of sick joke when he was born, and his life has gone downhill from there, one embarrassing incident after another. Entering his senior year of high school, Shakespeare has never had a girlfriend, his younger brother is cooler than he is, and his best friend's favorite topic of conversation is his bowel movements.

But Shakespeare will have the last laugh. He is chronicling every mortifying detail in his memoir, the writing project each senior at Shakespeare's high school must complete. And he is doing it brilliantly. And, just maybe, a prize-winning memoir will bring him respect, admiration, and a girlfriend . . . or at least a prom date.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:03 -0400)

Shakespeare Shapiro navigates a senior year fraught with feelings of insecurity while writing the memoir of his embarrassing life, worrying about his younger brother being cooler than he is, and having no prospects of ever getting a girlfriend.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,122,640 books! | Top bar: Always visible