Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Patron Saint of Liars by Ann Patchett

The Patron Saint of Liars (1992)

by Ann Patchett

I have enjoyed all of the Ann Patchett books I have read so far. This is her first novel and I can see her talent shine through. Her writing style is captivating. However, this is my least favorite of her novels I have read so far. "Run", "State of Wonder" and "Bel Canto" are novels I enjoyed much more. The premise really appeared to me being a Catholic girls schooled by nuns but novel dragged in parts and I did not get Rose at all. Plus the ending was unsatisfactory for me. ( )
  Smits | Feb 6, 2019 |
Good book but absolutely no ending. Why was Rose so mysterious, why did Rose leave her first husband, second husband, child? Had me guessing all the way through with no answer in the end. ( )
  myers3 | Oct 6, 2018 |
I have to give Ann Patchett credit for creating memorable story lines and characters. Rose is a young, married woman living in San Diego. When she discovers that she's pregnant, she up and leaves her husband and mother and travels to Kentucky where she becomes a resident at St. Elizabeth's, a home for unwed mothers. At St. Elizabeth, Rose starts her life over again without confiding in anyone about her past. When it gets close to her due date, Rose changes her mind and decides to keep the baby whom she names Cecilia. Rose ends up marrying (without mentioning that she is already married) the handyman at St. Elizabeth's and staying on as the cook. Ultimately her husband from San Diego tracks her down and once again Rose disappears never to return. Rose can't seem to ever truly escape her past but succeeds in abandoning and likely destroying the lives of people she touches including both of her husbands, her mother and her daughter. ( )
  KatherineGregg | Apr 10, 2018 |
This is the story of Rose, who leaves her unloved husband when she becomes pregnant. She flees to a home for unwed mothers in Kentucky where she ultimately makes her home. Patchett has such a sympathy for her characters; I felt I knew these people quite well as individuals after reading this book. ( )
  gbelik | Mar 11, 2017 |
Set at a home for unwed mothers in rural Kentucky, 1960s. Beautifully written. ( )
  FoxTribeMama | Sep 24, 2016 |
This book is for my parents, Frank Patchett and Jeanne Wilkinson Ray, and my grandmother, Eve Wilkinson.
Two O'clock in the morning, a Thursday morning, the first bit of water broke through the ground of George Clatterbuck's back pasture in Habit, Kentucky, and not a living soul saw it.

In the Patron Saint of Liars, Rose is a young wife of three years who concludes she married by mistake, that she misinterpreted teenage lust as a sign from God. Newly pregnant and uanble to continue a life with a man she doesn't love, Rose decides to leave. She abandons her quiet, inoffensive husband and their life at the Southern California seaside of the 1960's. Most of the odd and troubled characters fascinate and confound us. In the end, Rose surprises us on more time, and Sissy grows up, showing herself neither a liar nor a "leaver."

St. Elizabeth's is a home for unwed mothers in the 1960s. Life there is not unpleasant, and for most, it is temporary. Not so for Rose, a beautiful, mysterious woman who comes to the home pregnant but not unwed. She plans to give up her baby because she knows she cannot be the mother it needs. But St. Elizabeth's is near a healing spring, and when Rose's time draws near, she cannot go through with her plans, not all of them. And she cannot remain forever untouched by what she has left behind . . . and who she has become in the leaving.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:06 -0400)

Pregnant and alone, Rose seeks sanctuary at St. Elizabeth's, a home for unwed mothers in Habit, Kentucky, where she at last finds a place to put down the roots she has never felt she had.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,525,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible