True Tales of American Life by Paul Auster

True Tales of American Life

by Paul Auster

English (19)  Catalan (2)  All languages (21)
This anthology isn't a well-culled sampling of the finest writing in America, but it never makes itself out to be -- and therein lies its charm. This collection of personal narratives sent in to NPR's National Story Project offers a cross-section of contemporary life experiences -- ranging from war stories and childhood memories to lovesick missives and tales of woe. But what all of the stories have in common is a sincerity that even professional writers often miss, and for that alone I enjoyed this book. ( )
  Seven.Stories.Press | Jun 13, 2014 |
INDEX
  saintmarysaccden | Nov 19, 2013 |
One of my favourite books ever. Heartwarming, true or not true stories, taken from life. Better than all "chicken-soups..." combined! ( )
  borhap | Aug 27, 2013 |
This book is a collection of stories from the NPR National Story Project from a few years back. There are lots of great short stories in here. I found it best to read in small chunks. There are so many different types of stories and writing styles to work through--sometimes I needed a break. Highly recommended!
  walterqchocobo | Apr 8, 2013 |
this is wonderful. it's a collection of short (the average is probably a page or so) essays written by people from all over america. (some well written, some not.) true snippets from their lives. things that touched them or moved them or memories they had. and unbelievable coincidences and occurrences. it really shows how connected we are as people, and i loved this book for that. such a great reminder of how this universe holds us, and how, if we're watching, we can see beautiful and amazing things. and beautiful and amazing connections. ( )
  elisa.saphier | Apr 2, 2013 |

Paul Austerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reifler, NellyAssistant editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312421001, Paperback)

When the call went out to listeners of National Public Radio's Weekend All Things Considered to submit stories about their personal experiences, the results were overwhelming. I Thought My Father Was God: And Other True Tales from NPR's National Story Project contains editor Paul Auster's pick of the best submissions. The stories, whether fact or fiction, all exhibit a heartfelt earnestness to be heard, and share similar themes of bizarre coincidences, otherworldly intervention, love and loss, life-changing experiences, and mundane pleasures. Some are deeply moving, most are not. But it is uplifting and well worth the time to sift through these brief snapshots of our collective human experience.

To give the book shape, Auster has done his best to categorize the material by subject, such as Animals, Families, War, Love, Dreams, and the like. These categories hold true to the submission criteria: "[I was most interested in] stories that defied our expectations about the world, anecdotes that revealed the mysterious and unknowable forces at work in our lives, in our family histories, in our minds and bodies, in our souls.... I was hoping to put together ... a museum of American reality." I Thought My Father Was God is a testament that, despite what on a bad day we may think is a drab existence, we all have a few good stories in us. --Michael Ferch

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:45 -0400)

A collection of 180 personal, true-life accounts from NPR's National Story Project reflects the work of men and women of all ages, backgrounds, and walks of life and is accompanied by a look at the role of storytelling in our lives.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,251,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible