Paula by Isabel Allende

Paula (1995)

by Isabel Allende

2,578None2,314 (3.91)69
Recently added bythegreenmikado, olgaroederer

English (32)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (6)  Italian (3)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (51)
Questo libro è un'introspezione che la Allende fa della sua vita passata, a causa della malattia di Paula.E' un dolore unico quello della perdita di un figlio e la Allende lo affronta scrivendo e "raccontando" a Paula i suoi pensieri, i suoi timori e i suoi ricordi legati alla vita di Paula e all'infanzia e giovinezza di Isabel.
Primo libro letto di Isabel Allende e spero di leggerne presto molti altri; lo consiglio a chi riesce ad estraniare un libro dalla realtà e a chi riesce a non immedesimarsi totalmente. ( )
  Emanuela.Booklove | Oct 6, 2013 |
This is one of the saddest and most heartfelt books I have ever read. ( )
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |
This is one of my all-time favorite books. Allende writes great fiction but this account of her own family history is even more powerful. ( )
  astrologerjenny | Apr 25, 2013 |
  astrologerjenny | Apr 24, 2013 |
If you have read and enjoyed any of Isabel Allende's novels, I highly recommend this memoir written by Allende while her daughter Paula lay in a coma. Having read The House of the Spirits and Of Love and Shadows, it was incredible to read about the real life occurrences and people that inspired those novels. Mix that with a mother's love and anguish towards her comatose daughter, and the result is a rich and compelling read.
  purplehena | Mar 31, 2013 |

Isabel Allendeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boon, AdriTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guadalupi, GianniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peden, Margaret SayersTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We did not come to remain whole./We came to lose our leaves like the trees,/The trees that are broken/And start again, drawing up from the great roots. -- Robert Bly
Listen, Paula, I am going to tell you a story, so that when you wake up you will not feel so lost.
In December 1991 my daughter, Paula, fell gravely ill and soon thereafter sank into a coma. These pages were written during the interminable hours spent in the corridors of a Madrid hospital and in the hotel room where I lived for several months, as well as beside her bed in our home in California during summer and fall of 1992.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060927216, Paperback)

"Listen, Paula. I am going to tell you a story so that when you wake up you will not feel so lost." So says Chilean writer Isabel Allende (The House of the Spirits) in the opening lines of the luminous, heart-rending memoir she wrote while her 28-year-old daughter Paula lay in a coma. In its pages, she ushers an assortment of outrageous relatives into the light: her stepfather, an amiable liar and tireless debater; grandmother Meme, blessed with second sight; and delinquent uncles who exultantly torment Allende and her brothers. Irony and marvelous flights of fantasy mix with the icy reality of Paula's deathly illness as Allende sketches childhood scenes in Chile and Lebanon; her uncle Salvatore Allende's reign and ruin as Chilean president; her struggles to shake off or find love; and her metamorphosis into a writer.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:43 -0400)

Paula is a soul-baring memoir, which, like a novel of suspense, one reads without drawing a breath. The point of departure for these moving pages is a tragic personal experience. In December 1991, Isabel Allende's daughter, Paula, became gravely ill and shortly thereafter fell into a coma. During months in the hospital, the author began to write the story of her family for her unconscious daughter. In the telling, bizarre ancestors appear before our eyes; we hear both delightful and bitter childhood memories, amazing anecdotes of youthful years, the most intimate secrets passed along in whispers. Chile, Allende's native land, comes alive as well, with the turbulent history of the military coup of 1973, the ensuing dictatorship, and her family's years of exile. As an exorcism of death, in these pages Isabel Allende explores the past and questions the gods.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,485,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible