Highland Mist by Donna Grant

by Donna Grant

Highland Mist
3.5 Stars

Synopsis
Connall MacInness, a powerful Highland Laird seeks vengeance against the vicious rival who kidnapped his sister and takes the man's daughter hostage. However, Glenna MacNeil is not who or what she seems and by taking her, Connall sets in motion a 300 year prophecy that may either save or destroy the land and the clan that he fights for.

Review
The story has definite potential (I love a good prophecy), and the world building is very good, especially the structuring of the Druids and the fae. The setting is 1625 Jacobean Scotland but the story doesn't involve any of the historical events of the time, which is unfortunate.

The characters are also well-developed and interesting. Glenna and Connall are a compelling and likeable couple and each has his/her personal demons to overcome. The enigmatic Gregor is particularly intriguing but the villain could have been more diabolical.

There are some formatting and spelling issues that detract from the flow of the writing and events progress too quickly with little development in some places.

The epilogue is a little cheesy and the book ends on a partial cliffhanger but I look forward to seeing what happens next. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
A Highland adventure filled with Druids and sexy manly Highlanders. Three Druid women must come together, meet their mates and fulfill their destinies. This book is based on the youngest sister and her terrible past and finding her possible future. If she can get a certain Highlander to love her.
A very romantic story, with gentle love making and a lot of rippled chests. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Read for Fun
Challenges: Why Buy the Cow?, Read for Fun
Overall Rating: 4.25
Story Rating: 4.25
Character Rating: 4.25

First thought when finished: I will be getting the rest of the series and checking out other books by Donna Grant!

What I Loved: This was a brilliant mix of Historical Romance with a little magic. I haven't read a Druid based book in ages and found myself fascinated with bits of druid history that Donna Grant included. I loved all of the characters and really looking forward to revisiting them. Glenna and Connall were both strong but I loved how Glenna was open to learning all she could about her Druid calling. She showed amazing gumption for someone who had been locked away most of her life.

What I Liked: The side characters were fantastic. I am really looking forward to the next book where we get to meet Fiona (especially since that is my bar name) and get more of my favorite side character: the mysterious Gregor. I just adored him!

What made me go Huh?: There were a few moments in that the formatting in the book was a little off so it would jump from one conversation to another and you had to re-read it to sort it out. It wasn't a huge distraction but you should know it is there so you don't think you skipped pages LOL.

Author:
[ai:Donna Grant|1141209|Donna Grant|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1263044857p2/1141209.jpg]

Books in Series:
[bc:Highland Mist|760263|Highland Mist (Druid's Glen, #1)|Donna Grant|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21AXZGA2KXL._SL75_.jpg|746360][bc:Highland Nights|6464141|Highland Nights (Druid's Glen, #2)|Donna Grant|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1271417019s/6464141.jpg|6654609][bc:Highland Dawn|6464143|Highland Dawn (Druid's Glen, #3)|Donna Grant|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1271416936s/6464143.jpg|6654611][bc:Highland Fires|6464145|Highland Fires (Druid's Glen, #4)|Donna Grant|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1242099273s/6464145.jpg|6654613][bc:Highland Magic|6497516|Highland Magic (Druid's Glen, #5)|Donna Grant|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1243367374s/6497516.jpg|6689002] ( )
  thehistorychic | Apr 3, 2013 |
Loved this book it was action packed and romantic all at the same time...with that little bit of magic thrown in ( )
  Fairydragonstar | Mar 30, 2013 |
Read in January, 2012

Read for Fun
Challenges: Why Buy the Cow?, Read for Fun
Overall Rating: 4.25
Story Rating: 4.25
Character Rating: 4.25

Final Thought: I like Donna Grant's writing and will be checking out her other books and of course the rest in this series. ( )
  thehistorychic | Jan 27, 2012 |

AN HONORABLE LAIRD…

Laird Connall MacInness was born to a clan that for centuries has been charged with the guarding of the sacred Druids. ‘Tis a duty he has always met with a willing heart, until the day his sister, a Druid priestess, goes missing, and the very Druids he has protected refuse to help him find the last remaining member of his family. Then a 300 year old prophecy places a Druid priestess in his hands for safekeeping. ‘Tis the chance at revenge that he’s been waiting for, but is he willing to pay the cost his revenge will demand–the loss of his mate and the future of Scotland?

A WILLING LASS…

Glenna MacNeil wants only to be free, to find the purpose of her life. When she is told to look for the dark laird that would free her, she eagerly goes with the powerful laird who fights her clan, not realizing she has set in motion events that will change the course of history.

Conall MacInnes was born to a clan that for centuries has been charged with the guarding of the sacred Druids. It's a duty he has always met with a willing heart, until the day his sister, a Druid priestess, goes missing and the very Druids he has protected refuse to help him find the last remaining member of his family. Then a three-hundred-year-old prophecy places a Druid in his hands for safekeeping. It's the chance at revenge he's been waiting for, but is he willing to pay the cost his revenge will demand--the loss of his mate and the future of Scotland?A willing lass... Glenna MacNeil wants only to be free, to find the purpose of her life. When she is told to look for the dark laird who would free her, she eagerly goes with the powerful Highlander who fights her clan, not realizing she has set in motion events that will change the course of history.… (more)

Donna Grant is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,012,625 books! | Top bar: Always visible