Gezeitenstern-Saga 01: Der unsterbliche…

Gezeitenstern-Saga 01: Der unsterbliche Prinz (22 Std.) (edition 2008)

by Jennifer Fallon, Katrin Kremmler (Übersetzer), René Satzer (Übersetzer)

3201334,663 (4)11
Member:juli62
Title:Gezeitenstern-Saga 01: Der unsterbliche Prinz (22 Std.)
Authors:Jennifer Fallon
Other authors:Katrin Kremmler (Übersetzer), René Satzer (Übersetzer)
Info:LYX (2008), Ausgabe: 1., Taschenbuch, 652 Seiten
Collections:Deine Hörbucher
Rating:***1/2
Tags:High Fantasy, audible

The Immortal Prince by Jennifer Fallon

Recently added byprivate library, Nasrin_thorn, pvreeburg, -sunny-, DBReads, Nemerith

English (12)  German (1)  All languages (13)
Very readable Australian fantasy that's not afraid to handle some tricky themes, and with a few clever plot twists - though I saw plenty others coming a mile off, and the characterisation's a little too facile at times for my taste. Having said that, I definitely want to read the next book in the series :-). ( )
  salimbol | Nov 11, 2013 |
immortals,Amazon received
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
Post-Series Thoughts
====================

This series wins the prize for the worst ending I've read in the fantasy fiction genre.

Just throwing that out there for those considering picking it up. I really can't recommend the series at all. There are some great ideas, but none of them are explored in a satisfactory way.

Very similar to Mass Effect 3, actually.

Recommended instead: Sara Douglass's Axis Trilogy. The writing feels similar, although the story is very different.

====================
Original Review
January 2013

SPOILERS FOLLOW

It was a page-turner for me, but looking back, I don't feel super-compelled to read the next book -- which is strange, since this volume isn't exactly standalone. I mean, if you look at it as standalone, you won't be happy with the ending, since nothing is resolved. Nor do I feel all that attached to the characters that I feel like I'll ever feel the need to re-read it at some point. I probably will read the next one, but maybe not soon.

Basic idea of the book: Cayal wants to die. He's an immortal Tide Lord, and he's been around to see the world end via Cataclysm many times over by now. He's just sick of it all. He's seen all there is to see, and done all there is to do. So he kills some people to try to get himself executed. Only he's immortal, so he doesn't die when he is hanged. He tells the executioner that he's a Tide Lord, but, funny thing, no one believes in the Tide Lords anymore, so people think he's pleading insanity so that they won't try to hang him again.

Enter academic Arkady Desean who is sent to interview him to trip him up in his Tide Lord story and prove that he isn't insane, that he's just acting. Only she starts to like him -- to put it mildly -- and, well, you know where it goes from there.

The world also contains anthropomorphic animals called "Crasii." They are a race of slaves created by the Tide Lords. Only now the humans use them as slaves since the Tide Lords are only a silly myth told by the silly Crasii.

Basically, it's "Low Tide" so the Tide Lords don't have their magic. They're still immortal, but they don't have power to change the world at the moment.

Emphasis on "at the moment."

There will likely be spoilers in this review. I'll tag the more important ones, if I remember.

Let's start with the good:
1. The idea of immortals who are so immortal that Cayal actually wants to die because he's so bored of life is interesting. I don't think I've seen it done before.
2. Magic as a 'tide' is something I haven't seen before.
3. Despite the book's massive size, I didn't get bored. Or at least, I didn't skim that much.
4. A homosexual character and a bisexual character are present and important. I'll admit: it was uncomfortable for me to read, and it took a while for me to even understand what they were due to the author's vague wording of the awkward situation, but I think it was good that I saw this. Mind-opening, etc.

The bad:
1a. Please stop telling us how beautiful Arkady Desean is. Even Warlock noticed, and he's a dog-man.
1b. Warlock also knows a lot about how nobility dress. No, really, the author tells us this -- just to repeat how beautiful Arkady is.
2. Obvious romance of Arkady and Cayal from the moment they set eyes on each other. Obsession with each other's eyes, etc. Did I mention Arkady is beautiful and also sexually-repressed?
3. Homosexual character is so homosexual that he won't have a child with his willing (and beautiful, did I mention that?) wife. Not that I know many people who are homosexual, but I think they could get the job done if they had to.
4. Anthropomorphic dogs, cats, amphibians, and reptiles with a disgusting backstory. And a sex scene involving them. Well, mating, actually. It's the latter that bothered me more than the former. Yes, I know, you mentioned half a book ago that the Crasii are such animals they'll mate in the middle of the street, I get it -- WARLOCK WHAT ARE YOU DOING
5. Story is slow-moving, but I'll say that for once I didn't mind it that much. But it makes it a bit of a let down when you get to the end and think back and realize not much really happened to warrant the page count.
6. I find Cayal slightly more personable than Virgil from Darrel Drake's Within Ruin, but just as messed up in the head, if not more. That's not a good thing. And at least Virgil isn't a rapist.
7. Bestiality is a thing and people in the book's universe don't seem all that upset by it.
8. Arkady is a forward-thinker in this world. She believes in science and reason and being nice to slaves and she's understanding of her homosexual husband and she's beautiful and, and, and -- almost like Sarene in Brandon Sanderson''s Elantris. Ugh. But I kind of liked Arkady in a guilty-pleasure sort of way, although there were many times I wanted to slap her.

The undecided:
1. Forays into first-person storytelling from Cayal, reminiscent of Patrick Rothfuss. They were interesting, but a bit jarring, but the only way to tell us Cayal's past since it was so very long ago. Tries to give him more character, but I think knowing the truth just made him a creep. I did say he was a rapist earlier. These first-person sections are where the majority of the humor comes from, though. He is a personable storyteller -- just not a good person.
2. Declan Hawkes, the spymaster. He has a cool name and a cool job. Maybe the book should have been written about him.
3. I think it would have been more interesting to me if Arkady had lost her virginity to Declan when they were young and not to a rapist. I mean, that's what I thought when she had that scene with Jaxyn. It would explain the tension with Declan and his disapproval of the marriage a little more. I feel like sexually-abused female leads isn't interesting to me anymore.
4. Jaxyn.

This entire volume is set-up for a series. As of this writing, this is the only book I've read in it. As a result, this volume feels like it doesn't actually go anywhere. You could read it standalone, but you'd probably be disappointed nothing is really resolved. ( )
  angevon | Apr 1, 2013 |
TIDE LORDS
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |
Great story. Well written and well told and it had me wanting to read more. Some parts I found dragged just a little, but all in all, amazing! ( )
  ashooles | Mar 3, 2011 |
For the minions
As the last of the stragglers stumbled into the cave, Krynan looked back over his shoulder at the end of the world, wondering vaguely why he felt nothing.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765356074, Mass Market Paperback)

When a routine hanging goes wrong and a murderer somehow survives the noose, the man announces he is an immortal. And not just any immortal, but Cayal, the Immortal Prince, hero of legend, thought to be only a fictional character. To most he is a figure out of the Tide Lord Tarot, the only record left on Amyrantha of the mythical beings whom fable tells created the race of half-human, half-animal Crasii, a race of slaves.

Arkady Desean is an expert on the legends of the Tide Lords so at the request of the King's Spymaster, she is sent to interrogate this would-be immortal, hoping to prove he is a spy, or at the very least, a madman.

Though she is set the task of proving Cayal a liar, Arkady finds herself believing him, against her own good sense. And as she begins to truly believe in the Tide Lords, her own web of lies begins to unravel...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:25 -0400)

The gods of legend rise again on the world of Amyrantha in this tale of court intrigue, human-animal half-breeds, and claims of immortality.

Jennifer Fallon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,366,836 books! | Top bar: Always visible