The Lady Who Put Salt in Her Coffee by…

The Lady Who Put Salt in Her Coffee

by Lucretia Hale

Other authors: Amy Schwartz (Illustrator)

243443,774 (3)1

I did not like this book and feel that most children would not. Overall, I do not feel like students would connect with the plot. Children’s books should be about relatable topics and I don’t feel like the story of a woman putting salt in her coffee is very relatable. Also, I feel as if the plot drags on. The woman who put salt in her coffee tried to fix it with the help of a chemist and herbs. I feel like children would automatically or quickly think that the woman should just make a new cup of coffee and they would not be able to focus on the story or understand its message. This is not a story I would use in my classroom because I didn’t find myself intrigued by it at all. The overall message of the story is that sometimes the solution to an issue is something simple and you do not have to make everything an elaborate issue; use your common sense. ( )
  sbiela1 | Nov 14, 2016 |
Genre: Fantasy/informational
Age Appropriateness: primary
Media: watercolor, pen and ink
Characterization: Mrs. Peterkin is a flat and static character. The only thing we really know about her is that she is upset because she put salt instead of sugar in her coffee. She doesn't change any of her opinions, except that the coffee tastes bad.
Plot: person against nature/accident
Review: This book is a great fantasy because it is completely unrealistic that Mrs. Peterkin could drink the coffee after adding all of the chemicals and herbs, yet you still want to see if she will drink it and if one of them will make it taste better. The book getts you so involved with finding a method of taking the salt taste out of the coffee that you forget that it would easier to make a new cup. Also it is a good informational book because it lists all of the chemicals and herbs.
  rturba | Oct 22, 2008 |
Oh no! Mrs. Peterkin accidently put salt in her coffee instead of sugar. Her family is on a mission to find someone who can help fix her coffee. ( )
  aconant05 | Nov 5, 2007 |

Lucretia Haleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schwartz, AmyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152434755, Library Binding)

When Mrs. Peterkin accidentally puts salt in her coffee, the entire family embarks on an elaborate quest to find someone to make it drinkable again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:37 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,431,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible