Here's England by Ruth McKenney

Here's England

by Ruth McKenney

572293,132 (3)None

Never mind that this book was published fifty years ago - it, and its method for seeing England, are still 90 per cent valid, especially for American visitors. As might be expected from a book illustrated by that most capable of visual humourists, Osbert Lancaster, it is very good on architecture, history and the history of architecture. Also it suggests what not to waste your time on, notably scenery, of which it reminds the reader that the USA has more and better. ( )
  gibbon | Jul 27, 2007 |
This book was such a fantastic surprise. I got it at a junk shop because I can't resist old, weird travel guides, especially about the British Isles. But this turned out to be one of the best travel books I've ever read: informative, personable, and just slightly sharp-tongued. And as a special bonus, the book contains a fantastic overview of the Wars of the Roses and--shockingly!--an explanation of cricket that I actually almost understood! Truly miraculous.
  trinityofone | Oct 25, 2006 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,818,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible