Pedro and Me by Judd Winick

Pedro and Me

by Judd Winick

English (14)  Spanish (1)  All languages (15)
Pedro, a young Cuban American has it all: good looks, good grades, and a family who loves and supports him. How and why he gets AIDS, and how Pedro and the author both deal with Pedro's illness are the subject of this ultimately uplifting memoir. Every teen should read this book. ( )
  GayCityLGBTLibrary | Apr 12, 2014 |
Of course Pedro and Me is not the best written or drawn book one will ever find. But its honesty and humanity is unsurpassed. Pedro's courage, in making the hard choices to use his life to improve the world around him, is as inspirational today as it was when the show originally aired. ( )
  dono421846 | Mar 22, 2014 |
I like the writing, here, but the artwork leaves a bit to be desired. I recognize that this was early in his career, but Winick's work only holds up here because of the emotional impact of the story. Good, but not great. ( )
  JWarren42 | Oct 10, 2013 |
3Q, 3P (my VOYA codes)
The title of this book pretty much sums it all up. Heartbreaking, but inspirational Judd Winnick, from the Real World, writes about his friendship with roommate Pedro who passed away from AIDS. I hadn't realized that this book was a graphic novel when I chose to read it, but was pleasantly surprised by the format. I think it being a graphic novel would make the story a more appealing read for teens. I gave the book a 3 for popularity because I can seen how at one point it had a bigger potential to be popular with teens. Specifically when Real World was more popular and teens had maybe seen or heard of this season. Now I think with a push this would appeal to a teen, but they wouldn't pick it up on their own. This book gives a lot of good information about AIDS in a way that isn't overly obvious and still allows the story to flow. It also has a really good message.
  anavb | Apr 18, 2013 |
Pedro and Me is a graphic, nonfiction novel written by Judd Winick and published by Henry Holt and Company out of New York. This story centers around the early to late 90's in America when the reality show The Real World was the hot T.V. show to watch.

In this graphic novel we ae capitavated by a story about how two guys who were cast members on the Real World 3, San Francisco become very close friends and how one guy impacts the world on openly speaking about the diesase of AIDS. This book teaches along with many other lessons that "we[aren't] really the stereotypes our backgrounds or TV [make] us out to be"(112).

This book in my opinion is a heart-touching, eye opener work of art. This is because it taught so many lessons, it educated me, and made me aware of the things that sometimes we do things without actually being aware that we do them. For example, stereotyping and prejuding people. Some of the issues that the book raises is the fact that alot of people are ignorant towards the education of AIDS and how people often take things for granted in life. Judd's opinion towards the issues regarding the ignorance about AIDS is that the only way people learn about it is through the media which was even what he admitted in the novel; saying that "[i]n retrospect, most of the problem was the fact that all I knew about AIDS came from the media"(25). By Judd adimitting this it makes one realize where does my education about serious topics come from? The media or doing reasearch. In regards to how people often take things for granted in life he shares the heart touching life story of his friend Pedro and how he had a hard life, but was still able to pull through and accomplish alot of things. For example,Judd even says that "I took for granted the fact that I've had a home since birth, a mother, a father, a brother, grandparents"(42). I feel like Judd wanted readers to realize that everyone is not as forunate to have a family and often times we take them for granted when we should be cherishing every minute with them. As far as both of his opinions on both issues I agree with both because people do need to get more eucated about serious topics rather than relying soley on the media. I also agree with this opinion with his appreciation of family because as stated early having a family is a gift. Another book that I feel relates to my agruments above is The Invention of Hugo Cabret. This is because just like Pedro, Hugo was faced with hard challenges in his life, but still was able to become a successful young man. Also, opposite from Pedro and me, but pointing out a really good point, Hugo educated himself through reading books. Even though the book centers from a different time period we could learn from this. I agree with the author for presenting his opinions. Pedro and Me also presents larger issues such as homoseuality and my own assumptions about AIDS. Reading this book has really changed my opinion about both in that homosexuality is not just something that goes on now,but it actually was common in the 90's as well. Also, that HIV is the virus that causes AIDS it is not the same thing.
For teachers wanting to teach this book they could do alot of activities depending on what they wanted to teach the students.If they wanted to teach the student about a harmful disease they could; 1) The teacher can allow students to research one and giv a presentation about the disease they choose. 2) Teacher can let the childern watch documentaries about people living with these diseases.

Like I stated earlier this book is a true-eye opener for a lot of situations and issues that people deal with daily. To me it takes the topics that people do want to talk about and talk about them. Such as homosexuality, AIDS, death,and how to deal with death,and this is something that people need. The main theme that this book presents is that everything in life happens for a reason and what a person does with those things that makes he or she who they are.
1 vote ShannaThomp08 | Feb 9, 2012 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805064036, Paperback)

Without the third season of MTV's The Real World, set in San Francisco, Pedro Zamora would have lived and died quietly, a Cuban immigrant who became an AIDS educator after his HIV diagnosis at the age of 17. But in 1993, he and seven others were selected for the cast of The Real World, and Pedro's battle with AIDS, his irrepressible good nature, his love affair with Sean Sasser, and his growing friendship with his housemates would become public knowledge. When Pedro succumbed to complications of AIDS in November 1994, news of his death was carried on every major network and made international headlines. Thousands of letters arrived from around the world. Even President Clinton applauded Pedro's bravery in speaking out to young people about AIDS prevention and self-esteem. Judd Winick, a struggling cartoonist, had also been chosen for that season of The Real World, and became Pedro's roommate and close friend. His cartoon memoir tells the story of their friendship and serves as a vivid memorial to a bright-eyed and gifted man who made more of his 22 years of life than most of us could make of 80. --Regina Marler

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:02 -0400)

In graphic art format, describes the friendship between two roommates on the MTV show "Real World," one of whom died of AIDS.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,712,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible