How To Save Your Tail by Mary Hanson

How To Save Your Tail (2007)

by Mary Hanson

A cute predictable tale about a cookie-baking, storytelling rat named Bob who is trying to avoid being eaten by the castle cats. A collection of fractured fairytales featuring Bob's ancestors as the main characters. Ideal for young readers. ( )
  SheilaCornelisse | Mar 21, 2011 |
A well read rat named Bob has been captured by the queen's cats. Fortunately, one of those cats love a good story and Bob knows many! In true Scheherazade fashion, Bob tells tale after tale to distract the cats from eating him. His homemade cookies also help. Bob's family lore bares a lot of similarities to the fairy tales we know and love. Identifying the fairy tales will be fun with younger readers as well as humorous. The illustrations are a fun addition. However, some readers may feel that the story is short and ends abruptly. ( )
  MissyAnn | Jul 31, 2010 |
I was not a big fan of “How to Save Your Tail” because I found it a bit tedious. Several times throughout the novel I found my mind wandering to other things, it just wasn’t captivating for me. I haven’t read any of Mary Hanson’s other works, but would like to see if the writing style is similar. I did like the family tree and the fairy-tale quality of the novel, but I can’t say it’s a favourite. ( )
  jcloke | Sep 24, 2009 |
Cute, clever, short, fun:

A rat retells old tales to

save his life from cats.
  librarianlk | Jul 11, 2008 |
Bob the rat loves to read. Unfortunately for him, one morning while baking cookies he's distracted by the lure of a new book, and ends up captured and about to be eaten by the castle cats. Luckily, he knows his audience and is able to distract them long enough to escape - in fine fairy tale fashion.

It's cute, but it's slight. A fun fast read for older readers, and possibly a good read-aloud for the younger set, who might enjoy trying to identify the various characters and stories that Bob references. ( )
  SunnySD | May 28, 2008 |

How does a cookie-baking Rat named Bob save his tail from being gobbled by two hungry cats? By serving them cookies and telling themfantastic fairy tales about his family, of course. There's the story about great-grand uncle Mustard who upgrades his family to a lovely three-bedroom brick house. (All's well until some wolves with snout-warts show up.) And there's the one about how starving Grandma Lois was forced to take a job spinning straw into gold. (Impossible to do . . . until a hairy chimney troll comes along.)With allusions to classic fairy tales, plus a storytelling rat to rival Scheherazade, this book—which also includes black-and-white illustrations, a family tree, and a map of Bob's neighborhood—is sure to hold both cats and kids captive.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:38 -0400)

When he is captured by two of the queen's cats, Bob the rat prolongs his life by sharing fresh-baked cookies and stories of his ancestors, whose escapades are remarkably similar to those of well-known fairy tale heroes.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,633,432 books! | Top bar: Always visible