The Edge of Evolution: The Search for the…

The Edge of Evolution: The Search for the Limits of Darwinism (2007)

by Michael J. Behe

This is a thought-provoking book; I urge everyone to read it! Nevertheless, after having just previously read David Sloan Wilson's "Evolution for Everyone", I found myself wondering: Has Behe missed some possible explanations for "larger steps" made in evolution? Do some complex-systems "self-organize" in ways that go beyond the molecular level in ways that we have not yet discovered?

I also found it interesting that while Behe is very critical of evolutionists supposed inability to presently explain large steps in evolution, Behe himself did not explain how his agent of "intelligent design" did either of the initial encoding of all future combinations of genetic permutations nor how an agent might have later effected large changes.

This questioning led me to do some googling of Behe and this book. I've discovered evidence that he did miss some discoveries that contradict some of the tenets of this book. However, I think this book is worth reading as a counterpoint to present ideas about evolution and that is what matters: Science is at its best when challenged. I am a fan of peer-review, even with its complications.
  motjebben | Jun 24, 2009 |
Behe gives some powerful arguments against evolution being able to account for all of life that we can see. He concentrates on the evolution of malaria and human malaria defenses to make his case. He maintains that given the rate of evolution of those two opposing forces, evolution would not be able to explain the complexity of life. He does not attribute things to God, but to an intelligent designer. My main problem with the book is that the math and biology are complex enough that I have to confess I cannot fully evaluate whether he is correct or not. ( )
  wbc3 | Feb 16, 2009 |

Michael J. Behe launched the intelligent design movement with his first book, Darwin's Black Box, by demonstrating that Darwinism could not account for the complexity of biochemistry. Now he takes a giant leap forward. In The Edge of Evolution, Behe uses astounding new findings from the genetics revolution to show that Darwinism is nowhere near as powerful as most people believe. Genetic analysis of malaria, E. coli, and the HIV virus over tens of thousands of generations, not to mention analysis of the entire history of the genetic struggle between them and "us" (humans), make it possible for the first time to determine the precise rates, and likelihood, of random mutations of varying kinds. We now know, as never before, what Darwinism can and cannot accomplish. The answers turn conventional science on its head and are certain to be hotly debated by millions. After The Edge of Evolution, life in the universe will never look the same.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:32 -0400)

Draws on new findings in genetics to pose an argument for intelligent design that refutes Darwinian beliefs about evolution while offering alternative analyses of such factors as disease, random mutations, and the human struggle for survival.

38 wanted1 pay2 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,637,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible