More Letters From Pemberley: 1814-1819: A…

More Letters From Pemberley: 1814-1819: A Further Continuation of Jane…

by Jane Dawkins

I enjoyed this book much more than the first one. The story picks up where the previous one left off, in 1814 and follows Elizabeth and Darcy for another 6 years. The letters are written by Elizabeth to her sister Jane, her Aunt Gardiner, and Charlotte Lucas, among others. In this story, Elizabeth has matured and grown in her roles as wife, mother and mistress of Pemberley.

The story has more drama in it, but birth and death are a part of life and, for the most part, I felt the situations created here were plausible. Darcy's accident was a bit overly dramatic, but not distracting. No one can replace Jane Austen, and no one can recreate the voice of Elizabeth Bennet. However, this is a charming book and very easy read. I think it might have been richer, if we could have read the responses to Elizabeth's letters.

My only complaint is the same one I had with the first book. Jane Dawkins thought it would be interesting to incorporate some of Austen's other characters into both novels. All have different names and I found it confusing and distracting. With some, it was obvious as who they were supposed to be, but with others is was more annoying. Again, a cute idea that fell flat.

Overall, an easy enjoyable read. ( )
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |

Overall, an easy enjoyable read. ( )
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |
Letter writing is the only device for combining solitude with good company.  George Gordon, Lord Byron
After writing Letters from Pemberley, I thought I was done with the Bennetts and Darcys and planned to move on to other things.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140220907X, Paperback)

To the delight of the many readers who loved Letters from Pemberley, Jane Dawkins’s popular continuation of Pride and Prejudice, More Letters from Pemberley continues the story of Elizabeth (Bennet) Darcy’s married life, picking up in 1814 and following this most popular of Jane Austen characters for another six years to the twilight of the Regency period in 1819.

Again incorporating Jane Austen’s own words and characters from her other works (who appear here with different names, either associated with Austen’s life, borrowed from another of her novels or a word-play on their original name), Jane Dawkins has created another satisfying and entertaining tale.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:21 -0400)

To the delight of the many readers who loved Letters from Pemberley, Jane Dawkins's popular continuation of Pride and Prejudice, More Letters from Pemberley continues the story of Elizabeth (Bennet) Darcy's married life, picking up in 1814 and following this most popular of Jane Austen characters for another six years to the twilight of the Regency period in 1819. Writing to her beloved sister Jane, the irrepressible Lizzie describes life as mistress of Pemberley and her relationship with the dashing Fizwilliam Darcy. Highlights include a Darcy family Christmas, the inevitable conflicts that might arise even in such an illustrious family and the happiness of the birth of an heir. Again incorporating Jane Austen's own words and characters from her other works (who appear here with different names, either associated with Austen's life, borrowed from another of her novels or a word-play on their original name), Jane Dawkins has created another satisfying and entertaining tale.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,315,106 books! | Top bar: Always visible